This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    So since Act1966 has an avatar that looks like the Heat Miser, I thought we should make a song for him....
    " He’s mister Scuba in Aruba.
    He’s mister sun.
    He’s mister bread maker.
    He’s mister so-much-fun!
    They call me Margarita
    Whatever I touch
    Turns a frown upside down
    I’m too much. "

(Act1966...from all your fans on the forum - we're so happy to see you posting again - you really make us smile.)
    1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    So since Act1966 has an avatar that looks like the Heat Miser, I thought we should make a song for him....
    " He’s mister Scuba in Aruba.
    He’s mister sun.
    He’s mister bread maker.
    He’s mister so-much-fun!
    They call me Margarita
    Whatever I touch
    Turns a frown upside down
    I’m too much. "

(Act1966...from all your fans on the forum - we're so happy to see you posting again - you really make us smile.)
    LOL - I've always wanted tribute in song! And wine! And cash (bank transfer acceptable)!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I, of the Needle

The American Friends are encouraging us to storm the capital and demand vaccination. Apparently, they have other friends that are home owners on the island and they've been vaccinated (even though they don't have residency) and that there was a system "glitch" which knocked out some people from appointment bookings. It's just weird that both of us have not received appointments. I still think they're finishing off residents first (which they rightfully should) and I know they're now vaccinating people in their thirties. But it is strange that their other friends got the shot without having residency. I might pop in and see if we were caught in the glitch. We're losing valuable restaurant time... oh yeah: and the threat of COVID death, too.

Finally made a run for groceries. First thing this morning - 7:00 am at Superfood. The place was pretty empty so it was nice to run up and down the aisles in a grab-a-thon. In and out within thirty minutes. I think the security guard thought I'd just robbed the place or something... probably due to my sketchy past re The Sparkling Water Incident of 2021.

We watched the news from Canada/Ontario last night. It's an embarrassment and a mess. Canada's vaccine strategy was the wrong one and, while all the provincial premiers were criticizing the prime minister and the federal procurement process, they really should have been focused on distribution and now it's a scramble all over the place. What. A. Nightmare. We pay almost Scandinavian-level taxes in Canada - that's why I'm the worst kind of angry at tax time... especially this year. Complete cluster.

Rant over.

Thank god it's sunny today.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I, of the Needle

The American Friends are encouraging us to storm the capital and demand vaccination. Apparently, they have other friends that are home owners on the island and they've been vaccinated (even though they don't have residency) and that there was a system "glitch" which knocked out some people from appointment bookings. It's just weird that both of us have not received appointments. I still think they're finishing off residents first (which they rightfully should) and I know they're now vaccinating people in their thirties. But it is strange that their other friends got the shot without having residency. I might pop in and see if we were caught in the glitch. We're losing valuable restaurant time... oh yeah: and the threat of COVID death, too.

Finally made a run for groceries. First thing this morning - 7:00 am at Superfood. The place was pretty empty so it was nice to run up and down the aisles in a grab-a-thon. In and out within thirty minutes. I think the security guard thought I'd just robbed the place or something... probably due to my sketchy past re The Sparkling Water Incident of 2021.

We watched the news from Canada/Ontario last night. It's an embarrassment and a mess. Canada's vaccine strategy was the wrong one and, while all the provincial premiers were criticizing the prime minister and the federal procurement process, they really should have been focused on distribution and now it's a scramble all over the place. What. A. Nightmare. We pay almost Scandinavian-level taxes in Canada - that's why I'm the worst kind of angry at tax time... especially this year. Complete cluster.

Rant over.

Thank god it's sunny today.
    I'm just catching on that you're referring to getting vaccinated on the island...I think? I didn't realize that people of tourist status could be vaccinated there.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am finding it very interesting.........."some" non resident homeowners getting the vaccine, others not. My 40 and 50 something yr old friends are still in the que waiting for their first shot. 2 of them are Aruban by birth, 2 of them are expats and have lived on Aruba for 20+ years and are residents. The couple of friends that are in their 60s that are full time Aruba residents were vaccinated a week or 2 ago.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    I'm just catching on that you're referring to getting vaccinated on the island...I think? I didn't realize that people of tourist status could be vaccinated there.
    May 6 - 20, 2021 https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPe2KC3P7bqhnpMT8
    THINK........ is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    So something that is happening here is that people are on a waiting list at the end of the day and if vaccines are not taken at the end of the day, they get a call and show up and get the "leftovers" from the day's appointments. I wonder if you showed up at the vaccination site at the end of the day, maybe you could get lucky. I also don't always believe the friend of a friend tales.

Have you ever seen SuperMarket Sweep? I'm picturing you running through SF in that style.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    What we were told by The American Friends and The Dutch Neighbours is that Aruba decided to vaccinate all people on the island regardless of residency status as long as they have a permanent address here. So we went to the registration and confirmed that it was all legit and signed up (that was February 10th). The one caveat was that you had to be on island for the whole process (i.e. you couldn't leave after getting the first dose).

Naturally, we expect all permanent residents/citizens to be vaccinated before us but then we heard about the alleged system glitch and just wanted to confirm that there wasn't an issue or change of heart on the government's part. Still in queue and all good.
    Last edited by act1966; 04-08-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Have you ever seen SuperMarket Sweep? I'm picturing you running through SF in that style.
    LOL - exactly. Although... if Leslie Jones came within six feet of me, I'd scream bloody murder.
    Last edited by act1966; 04-09-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Be impactful
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    It Hurts When I Do This

So... I hinted at what yesterday was like in previous posts. But here's the full monty:

Two separate tribes told us that we may have issues with the registration for vaccine as there was an alleged "system glitch". They were also talking about how people in their 30s and 40s were now getting vaccinated. I thought, "Okay, happy to wait in line but let's go confirm that the registration is still okay."

I schlepp down to "MFA Noord Multi-Functional" (say that ten times fast) where the government is holding registration for the north part of the island. I have every piece of documentation at the ready: passports, the original registration forms, proof of ownership, utility bills, blood of the first born... I'm ready.

I go into the building and sit waiting while other people are processed and then it's my turn. I give a hearty "Bon Dia!" and let's just say the front line hero wasn't feeling too "heroic" on this day. I explain the sitch and she says, "There are no issues." Period. She didn't even crack the laptop open. Okaaaaaay. So, I guess I take her word for it. I reassured her I wasn't trying to jump the line just wanted to make sure we were still in line. "No issues. You're signed up. You have the form."

We were once on a tour of the Basque region of Northern Spain and the guide said, "I hear you just came from the Mediterranean... the people are like the weather down there: very sunny. Not so much here in the north of Spain." I can honestly say that axiom didn't translate to Aruba.

Anyway, we wait.

I hit Ling's while I was out because Superfood stock wasn't great; still no gravy spoon love and the stock is visibly dwindling. Curses!

There might have been a copious amount of wine with dinner after this stellar day.

Aruba is putting me to the test. Guess I'll go be frustrated floating in the pool.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    It Hurts When I Do This

So... I hinted at what yesterday was like in previous posts. But here's the full monty:

Two separate tribes told us that we may have issues with the registration for vaccine as there was an alleged "system glitch". They were also talking about how people in their 30s and 40s were now getting vaccinated. I thought, "Okay, happy to wait in line but let's go confirm that the registration is still okay."

I schlepp down to "MFA Noord Multi-Functional" (say that ten times fast) where the government is holding registration for the north part of the island. I have every piece of documentation at the ready: passports, the original registration forms, proof of ownership, utility bills, blood of the first born... I'm ready.

I go into the building and sit waiting while other people are processed and then it's my turn. I give a hearty "Bon Dia!" and let's just say the front line hero wasn't feeling too "heroic" on this day. I explain the sitch and she says, "There are no issues." Period. She didn't even crack the laptop open. Okaaaaaay. So, I guess I take her word for it. I reassured her I wasn't trying to jump the line just wanted to make sure we were still in line. "No issues. You're signed up. You have the form."

We were once on a tour of the Basque region of Northern Spain and the guide said, "I hear you just came from the Mediterranean... the people are like the weather down there: very sunny. Not so much here in the north of Spain." I can honestly say that axiom didn't translate to Aruba.

Anyway, we wait.

I hit Ling's while I was out because Superfood stock wasn't great; still no gravy spoon love and the stock is visibly dwindling. Curses!

There might have been a copious amount of wine with dinner after this stellar day.

Aruba is putting me to the test. Guess I'll go be frustrated floating in the pool.
    You just need to think like an Aruban not like Canadian or American. Aruban is "island time"- nothing happens fast other than driving over speed bumps and around the roundabouts. So much does not make sense, like everyone having to register their cars in person by the end of January. It is just their way of doing things.

0 0