This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Robin's comments.
    Aruba definitely has their own way of doing things - but they do (eventually) get things done. So hang in there and have faith.
    If all else fails, .... a tasty margarita will cure everything. ;-)
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    You just need to think like an Aruban not like Canadian or American. Aruban is "island time"- nothing happens fast other than driving over speed bumps and around the roundabouts. So much does not make sense, like everyone having to register their cars in person by the end of January. It is just their way of doing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    I agree with Robin's comments.
    Aruba definitely has their own way of doing things - but they do (eventually) get things done. So hang in there and have faith.
    If all else fails, .... a tasty margarita will cure everything. ;-)

Nah... this was different. We've been dealing with "island time" for years now (ironically, it's usually non-Aruban people that have been issues over the years). Trust me, I toned it down for the posting. This was out and out obstinate bureaucracy at its finest.

And, yes, margaritas do cure everything and they don't consciously make it difficult to interact with them.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I will never understand some peoples reluctance to accept money for a product or service or be an a$$ about it. I've been dealing with folks in health care for the past week or so and I think a lot of them just don't give a damn. "Island time" is just a lame excuse for crappy service or attitude..

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we get more upset with the crappy service than the Arubans. They are used to it and just deal with it because if they really cared, there would be some change. Everything takes forever to get done in Aruba. We had to argue with vehicle registration to take our cash because they want everything to be debit unless you are over 60(we are close to that).

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    When I called in Feb to inquire about registration since we are Canadian, I was asked several questions to determine our eligibility. They were: our ages, did we own property on island and finally have been here 6 months. We affirmed our length of stay over 6 months and ownership. We were registered next dat and received shot on 1st March and 2nd on 23rd March.

It seemed they were we're very concerned about the 6 month thing as there had been complaints about short term tourists registering and not being completely truthful. This was found out by the DVG and they tightened up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh! Enough with the Covid!

Yesterday was quiet. We started to wonder what the closest volcano is given events in St. Vincent. The sky was cloudy-ish this morning but it's clear now. We figure it's about 900 km away so hopefully the effects here will be minimal.

This weekend is going to be about forgetting what's going on in the world for some R&R. We shouldn't be this stressed in paradise!

I'm going to make a surprise attack on the cocktail front: The Spouse will be getting a Paloma in the Arctic glass. Let's hope this doesn't initiate another volcanic eruption.

I took a flyer on a Thai dish last night... a variant (ugh, that word) on Tom Yum soup (with chicken):

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-tomyum-jpg

A resounding success! The Spouse didn't even balk at the spiciness. Definitely a keeper because it was so simple and quick.

Time for Attack of the Paloma... wish me luck!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Stephen!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Toe-may-toe, Toe-mah-toe

Well.. the harvest is in!

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-tomatoes-jpg

We figure between the terra cotta planters, vegetable soil, Miracle Gro, water and labour, each tomato cost about thirty dollars. Organic ain't cheap.

But they tasted really great so... no complaints. The Spouse made a BLT with two croutons, bacon bits and mayo. "Uh... you won't be able to taste the tomato."

I went full raw experience and I gotta say: pretty impressive! There may ba third on its way - it'll be a fight to the death.

Because man cannot live on cherry tomatoes alone, we whipped up burritos to celebrate Aruban Harvest.

Ah... I forgot about the Paloma-palooza: it was okay... I didn't use fresh grapefruit juice so I'll still have another go at it. The Spouse didn't like the aftertaste but when I offered to drink his remainer, he clutched his Arctic cup and exclaimed, "I didn't say I HATED it!!"

Lady Margarita retains her pole position in Cocktail Court.
    Last edited by act1966; 04-11-2021 at 03:23 PM.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, your two tomatoes do look good.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Toe-may-toe, Toe-mah-toe

Well.. the harvest is in!

Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...-tomatoes-jpg

We figure between the terra cotta planters, vegetable soil, Miracle Gro, water and labour, each tomato cost about thirty dollars. Organic ain't cheap.

But they tasted really great so... no complaints. The Spouse made a BLT with two croutons, bacon bits and mayo. "Uh... you won't be able to taste the tomato."

I went full raw experience and I gotta say: pretty impressive! There may ba third on its way - it'll be a fight to the death.

Because man cannot live on cherry tomatoes alone, we whipped up burritos to celebrate Aruban Harvest.

Ah... I forgot about the Paloma-palooza: it was okay... I didn't use fresh grapefruit juice so I'll still have another go at it. The Spouse didn't like the aftertaste but when I offered to drink his remainer, he clutched his Arctic cup and exclaimed, "I didn't say I HATED it!!"

Lady Margarita retains her pole position in Cocktail Court.
    "Full raw" sounds like the way to go
    Last edited by schexc; 04-11-2021 at 05:06 PM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0