This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Any good delivery options we should know about? Is it white asparagus season yet?
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, PA!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Any good delivery options we should know about? Is it white asparagus season yet?
    I'm not sure when white asparagus season is down here - time is relative in the pandemic... what day of the week is it?!?

We've ordered in from quite a few places... we've been REALLY impressed with "Bingo"! We'd been in the restaurant a few times pre-pandemic and always thought the food was hit 'n miss. The food has been outstanding when we've ordered in.

"Local Store" has been a consistent favourite (they know our house by heart now LOL). We were relieved they were delivering on that first night... a wing feast!

Another favourite but a little on the pricier side is Azia... excellent food.

All have been quick - under one hour - and the delivery staff are always masked, fun and a pleasure to deal with. And now they all have wireless credit card terminals! Aruba has come of age!

At this point, I'm thrilled to have any contact, even though it's brief, outside the house!
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    White asparagus season starts in early May and runs just a few weeks. Only select restaurants offer it. In talking with the manager at Manchebo he was telling me that there is an application process involved. Manchebo did not offer it but he said they may in the future as people were asking for it. Madame Janette had a wonderful pasta dish with chicken, white asparagus in a garlic/Parmesan cream sauce. Bavaria offered it as a side with a white sauce. I ordered it with the schnitzel and would order that over and over again.

1 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Peg re: white asparagus
    They really are fabulous.

Stephen...Bingo was never on our "good list", but I had their coconut shrimp and decided that they were probably the best I had ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    White asparagus season starts in early May and runs just a few weeks. Only select restaurants offer it. In talking with the manager at Manchebo he was telling me that there is an application process involved. Manchebo did not offer it but he said they may in the future as people were asking for it. Madame Janette had a wonderful pasta dish with chicken, white asparagus in a garlic/Parmesan cream sauce. Bavaria offered it as a side with a white sauce. I ordered it with the schnitzel and would order that over and over again.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    There's been an unusual amount of rain this year (our experience and based on observations from the locals/full-time residents). The Spouse is not happy because a lot of it seems to transpire on the weekends (still working full-time). Our garden is booming so there's that and it's been interesting to see how the house fares in rain. Only one area we had to patch up in the laundry house.

Other than that, it's been pretty quiet: we're isolating for the duration so just predominantly meeting with people on Zoom and talking to neighbours while socially distanced. This pandemic cannot end soon enough. Positive news re the flood of vaccinations about to come in.

There seems to be a lot of construction going on in Noord including what appears to be a new condo or hotel in front of the old Tropicana. And, judging from the lineups at Superfood, Kooyman, Do It and PriceSmart, it appears people are still spending.

The Spouse turned fifty in February so we did a big Zoom party that was a bit of a ka-ka show but... you make do. It was interesting for people to put faces to names and also to watch corporate vs regular people try to use Zoom with a large crowd. My mother-in-law: "How does The Zoom know I'm talking to Linda in the other box and not let anyone else hear it?" "Uh... it doesn't... that's why we muted you."

You read that right: we muted The Mother on Zoom. On her son's birthday. The irony is not lost.

But it's warm and the pool is still there so... no complaining!
    0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahahahahah "MMIL". muted mother in law.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We walked up to Tierra Del Sol yesterday (Sunday) to see the grounds and how Panda Express had set up there.

That's what passes for excitement now: checking out the Panda Express. Woo. Hoo.

Chores around the house ("THOSE AC FILTERS AREN'T GOING TO CLEAN THEMSELVES!!!") and then the afternoon in the pool with a visit from the lovely Lady Margarita. She came back for another surprise visit. Dinner from Azia and then some tube.

I'll say this: we're REALLY relaxed. Except for the nagging pandemic at the door. Ugh.
    0 5

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty jealous of you Azia dinner. Meatloaf in the cold just doesn't measure up.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 1

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you and le spouse need a maid? Resume booster: I was a bartender and I don’t take up much room!
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    We walked up to Tierra Del Sol yesterday (Sunday) to see the grounds and how Panda Express had set up there.

That's what passes for excitement now: checking out the Panda Express. Woo. Hoo.

Chores around the house ("THOSE AC FILTERS AREN'T GOING TO CLEAN THEMSELVES!!!") and then the afternoon in the pool with a visit from the lovely Lady Margarita. She came back for another surprise visit. Dinner from Azia and then some tube.

I'll say this: we're REALLY relaxed. Except for the nagging pandemic at the door. Ugh.

0 2