This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I wonder if it’s as warm as it is here in Mass? We’re at 91 degrees with an expected high of 97 degrees. While we do have a beach at the end of our street, it is just nothing like Aruba!!
    We came to Aruba in July a few years ago because it was cooler than Toronto. It was 32C in Aruba and daily highs in the 40s in Toronto. Crazy. Anyone who doesn't believe in climate change should sit in a car that isn't air conditioned during the summer in Toronto. That'll convince you.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    We came to Aruba in July a few years ago because it was cooler than Toronto. It was 32C in Aruba and daily highs in the 40s in Toronto. Crazy. Anyone who doesn't believe in climate change should sit in a car that isn't air conditioned during the summer in Toronto. That'll convince you.

So true! But there are those who don’t believe in climate change!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The heat index right now is 103.4F. Glad we live near the ocean, at least we have a breeze blowing, it's blowing hot air, but it's blowing.

0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    The heat index right now is 103.4F. Glad we live near the ocean, at least we have a breeze blowing, it's blowing hot air, but it's blowing.
    No breeze here, 100 miles inland from you, Walt.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a rainstorm here in SW Connecticut this afternoon - it was exciting - for the 3 minutes it lasted.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Weather Or Not

I knew something was up when I went for my morning walk on Saturday at 6:00 am - there wasn't any breeze. The last time that happened was on our first trip in 2008. We'd come down with the goal of finding a house to buy (which happened many years later) and we were checking out Oranjestad for the first time. The four of us (friends had joined us) packed into our clown car from Amigo and headed down from Paradara. As we were schlepping around the core (there wasn't a trolley yet), we stopped in front of La Linda (the now deceased department store) and, all of a sudden, the car's air conditioning stopped working. We rolled down the windows to catch the Aruba breeze only to realize that there was no breeze. So we were essentially stewing in our own juices. Nice. This was also our first traffic jam in Aruba. Memories!

I trudged on up to the lighthouse. By the time I arrived, I was basically soaking wet and it was getting hotter and hotter.

Made it home and immediately went into the pool until dinner. Okay, there was one break for margarita making.

Then the power went out. We reheated pizza on the barbecue and the sweating began. We listened to a podcast - it was like listening to radio in Ye Olden Days and called it a night at 10:00 pm. Luckily, we bought battery operated Ryobi fans a few years ago so we stuck them at the end of the bed and that at least gave us a slight breeze.

Around 3:00 am, the power came back. Now, in a "smart" home, when the power is reintroduced, everything goes haywire so it was nearly a kaka-the-bed situation. Got up, checked and reset everything and then went back to sleep.

The power went out again around 4:00 am. Rinse, repeat.

So... we've had two black outs since we've been down. That's still better than Toronto. We'll call this one a "win".

And, man, the stars... nice.
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Weather Or Not

I knew something was up when I went for my morning walk on Saturday at 6:00 am - there wasn't any breeze. The last time that happened was on our first trip in 2008. We'd come down with the goal of finding a house to buy (which happened many years later) and we were checking out Oranjestad for the first time. The four of us (friends had joined us) packed into our clown car from Amigo and headed down from Paradara. As we were schlepping around the core (there wasn't a trolley yet), we stopped in front of La Linda (the now deceased department store) and, all of a sudden, the car's air conditioning stopped working. We rolled down the windows to catch the Aruba breeze only to realize that there was no breeze. So we were essentially stewing in our own juices. Nice. This was also our first traffic jam in Aruba. Memories!

I trudged on up to the lighthouse. By the time I arrived, I was basically soaking wet and it was getting hotter and hotter.

Made it home and immediately went into the pool until dinner. Okay, there was one break for margarita making.

Then the power went out. We reheated pizza on the barbecue and the sweating began. We listened to a podcast - it was like listening to radio in Ye Olden Days and called it a night at 10:00 pm. Luckily, we bought battery operated Ryobi fans a few years ago so we stuck them at the end of the bed and that at least gave us a slight breeze.

Around 3:00 am, the power came back. Now, in a "smart" home, when the power is reintroduced, everything goes haywire so it was nearly a kaka-the-bed situation. Got up, checked and reset everything and then went back to sleep.

The power went out again around 4:00 am. Rinse, repeat.

So... we've had two black outs since we've been down. That's still better than Toronto. We'll call this one a "win".

And, man, the stars... nice.
    Someone I know was in an elevator at Oceania when the power went out yesterday. She was stuck for 10-15 minutes. The power there came back on around 11:15-11:30pm. I guess with the whole island out, it took awhile to bring it all up again.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Someone I know was in an elevator at Oceania when the power went out yesterday. She was stuck for 10-15 minutes. The power there came back on around 11:15-11:30pm. I guess with the whole island out, it took awhile to bring it all up again.
    I would imagine condos are required to have a backup generator for just such an occasion...?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine condos are required to have a backup generator for just such an occasion...?
    Not required or at least not when they were built. There is some type of release that lowers the elevator to the ground floor. I really don't know how it works.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Not required or at least not when they were built. There is some type of release that lowers the elevator to the ground floor. I really don't know how it works.
    I'd have 911 on speed-dial then.
    0 2