This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Two Canadians Don't Walk Into A Bar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Voyage of the Damned

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm STUNNED how Aruba got its act together on the pandemic. I'm using Canada as a yardstick to measure it and I will now use that yardstick to beat Canada about the head.

Some highlights(?):

- we'd never flown through the US to get home. Imagine our surprise to learn there was another set of customs and security after the initial pat down. With just carry on, we pretty much just lined up with the other zombies.
    - we didn't know we could've used our Nexus (Global Entry) cards in Aruba. Sadly, we didn't notice the machines until we were halfway through the line up and didn't want to risk it by jumping out.
    - we heard many, many warnings about how bad American Airlines has become but we had a good experience on the AUA to CLT flight. And the American Eagle flight from CLT to YYZ was fine/functional. But one thing AA: "Corn Nuts" are not a meal.
    - Canada customs was surprisingly easy - we thought, for sure, it was going to be a train wreck given that the Feds just lifted a lot of the entry restrictions a mere five days ago.

Invaluable lessons of the journey:

- wherever possible: do carry on. I would've been crying like a baby at all the luggage carousels if we'd made the mistake of checking luggage.
    - the Verifly app that American Airlines asked us to fill out was complete garbage... it took us hours to get everything done and, in the end, nobody looked at it in the airports... grrrr... same with the "SmartWatch" app that Canada was saying would speed up our test portion of coming through Canadian customs... nobody asked to see it. But Canadian Customs did ask to see the ArriveCAN app and receipt so that's definitely a "must do". Global bureaucracy at its finest
    - vodka cures everything

But we made it back and that's all that matters. The home quarantine begins for the duration. Thank god for Instacart and the kindness of friends and neighbours.
    0 2

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you made it home safe and sound. CLT is usually packed, people standing shoulder to shoulder at the gates. It made me a little uncomfortable when we were there a few weeks ago. Lots of people with their masks below their chins. Please keep in touch. We'll miss your posts.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Must feel good to finally be home safe and sound. What a fiasco on the way! Your reports are always awesome! Thanks for all the fun reports!
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you are home safe and sound despite some aggravations along the way. Are you required to now quarantine at home, or are you just being cautious?

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you arrived safely. CLT is not my favorite airport. We have always had issues going through there-wacky customs agent, several delayed flights(like 3 and 6 hours) and last time we they did not get our luggage onto our flight home. Even the time we spent the night at an airport hotel, we had issues-two hotels with similar names.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Are you required to now quarantine at home, or are you just being cautious?
    Canada lifted the hotel quarantine for people arriving on planes but you still have to stay at home until you test negative for COVID. we're not sure how long that could be. We just jammed q-tips up our nose with a nurse watching us on Zoom. All glamour, all the time.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Canada lifted the hotel quarantine for people arriving on planes but you still have to stay at home until you test negative for COVID. we're not sure how long that could be. We just jammed q-tips up our nose with a nurse watching us on Zoom. All glamour, all the time.
    These are such crazy times. Hope you get released soon!!!

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Voyage of the Damned

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm STUNNED how Aruba got its act together on the pandemic. I'm using Canada as a yardstick to measure it and I will now use that yardstick to beat Canada about the head.

Some highlights(?):

- we'd never flown through the US to get home. Imagine our surprise to learn there was another set of customs and security after the initial pat down. With just carry on, we pretty much just lined up with the other zombies.
    - we didn't know we could've used our Nexus (Global Entry) cards in Aruba. Sadly, we didn't notice the machines until we were halfway through the line up and didn't want to risk it by jumping out.
    - we heard many, many warnings about how bad American Airlines has become but we had a good experience on the AUA to CLT flight. And the American Eagle flight from CLT to YYZ was fine/functional. But one thing AA: "Corn Nuts" are not a meal.
    - Canada customs was surprisingly easy - we thought, for sure, it was going to be a train wreck given that the Feds just lifted a lot of the entry restrictions a mere five days ago.

Invaluable lessons of the journey:

- wherever possible: do carry on. I would've been crying like a baby at all the luggage carousels if we'd made the mistake of checking luggage.
    - the Verifly app that American Airlines asked us to fill out was complete garbage... it took us hours to get everything done and, in the end, nobody looked at it in the airports... grrrr... same with the "SmartWatch" app that Canada was saying would speed up our test portion of coming through Canadian customs... nobody asked to see it. But Canadian Customs did ask to see the ArriveCAN app and receipt so that's definitely a "must do". Global bureaucracy at its finest
    - vodka cures everything

But we made it back and that's all that matters. The home quarantine begins for the duration. Thank god for Instacart and the kindness of friends and neighbours.
    If travel was easy, everyone would be doing it. Welcome home!

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you made it home safe and sound. Thanks for all the great reports. I really enjoyed reading them.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Glad you made it home safe and sound. CLT is usually packed, people standing shoulder to shoulder at the gates. It made me a little uncomfortable when we were there a few weeks ago. Lots of people with their masks below their chins. Please keep in touch. We'll miss your posts.
    Thanks, Diane. CLT wasn't too bad... we were there late in the evening though and a lot of the shops weren't open so that might have been the reason for less crowding.
    0 0