This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 2022 Road Trip #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 30, Sunday, May 22, 2022

We really slept in-after 9:30. We missed breakfast at the hotel, so we ate at a nearby diner. We did not leave Elkhart until 11:30, so we knew we would not make it home on Monday. We didn’t even stop for lunch today because we ate breakfast so late. It was cloudy in the am, but cleared as we drove through Ohio into PA. I finished the 6th lapghan and started the 7th one. We arrived at our hotel in Grove City, PA and heated up leftovers for dinner. Stu has decided to take the slightly longer route (22 mi) home via Rt. 80 instead of the PA because there are more exits and options for food and gas along 80 vs 76. The plan for tomorrow is short day and to stay north of Philadelphia, this way we can get through Philly or rather it’s suburbs after the morning rush hour. We also may drop off the carb to be rebuilt on the way home.

Day 31, Monday, May 23, 2022

Breakfast was at a diner since the one at the hotel had almost nothing. We drove along Rt. 80. I didn’t sleep well and dozed off and on. Lunch was at Eastern European Restaurant in the beautiful Pocono Mountains. It was odd to find a place like that in that location because there isn’t much around. We didn’t have a lot because we had a late breakfast, but we do want to go back next time we head that way. We decided to spend the night in King of Prussia-only 66 miles from home to avoid Philly and its suburbs during rush hour. Dinner was at Panera because we could walk there. It also gives the chance to drop the carb off to be rebuilt on the way home since we have to pass nearby. It will get us home early afternoon (Stu has a scheduled virtual doctor’s appointment at 10) which is better than after dark since he still has the old type of headlights that are not very bright.
    One thing I saw today really upset me. I tractor trailer passed us and on the back was an American flag in horrible shape-torn, ragged, and filthy. There is no way the driver could not know that the flag was in deplorable shape. We had seen other trucks during our travels with the flag, but they were in good shape.

Day 32, Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Woke up and fell back asleep for 30 minutes. Drug myself out of bed and got going so we could get to breakfast in the hotel before it was over at 9:00. Since Stu needed to do his phone appoint at 10 am, going out was not an option. Played on the computer and dozed, plus I had a hour or so of feeling lousy. We left the hotel just before 11 am (doctor was late) and headed through Philly and over the Ben Franklin into NJ after dealing with construction traffic. The carb guy was only a mile off the highway. He promised Stu it would be done for our early July trip. Stopped for gas before heading home arriving around 12:30. Unloaded and went to grab lunch. Chatted with a neighbor and started the task of unpacking and going through over a month of mail. I still have to go through the clothing and shoes I ordered while we were away. I’ll get the final miles driven from Stu later along with the cost of gas(we have been asked that so many time).

Other than getting sick, which is unexpected and the car issues, which I always count on happening, it was a great trip. The car issues don’t bother me-I’m used to it and expect it to happen at some point. Being specific about a food allergy and not being taken seriously does make me very angry. I am sad that we did not get to do all of it, but as soon as I am feeling a bit better, I will plan the trip via airplane and rental vehicle to do what we missed.

2 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you made it home... We had a ton of mail to go through also. Can't wait to read about your return trip.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome home Robin! Hope you feel better soon!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you home and loved the trip.
    Just finished trip 36 and have trip 37 Booked.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Home sweet Home Robin
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    time to start prepping for your next trip!!
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea,

Next trip-July5th.

This trip by the numbers

Days: 32
    Gas $3569
    Miles 7656
    Gallons of gas 674.3 mpg 11.4 This improved once the carb was working better
    Repairs so far:$410
    Food: not calculated
    Hotels $4347

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    July 5th...Yipeee. First stop...stop and visit us!

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    July 5th...Yipeee. First stop...stop and visit us!
    We plan on it!

0 0