This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Road Trip #1

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Andrea J.;390395]WOW.
    Steve I never knew that you were a car engine guy!!!

Reading your words make me miss our friend Murray Feit (Sherry's from the old visit aruba board husband)

Here's hoping that Robin and Stu make the trek home with great ease.[

That’s why I offered to fly out and fix it
    Last edited by schexc; 05-16-2022 at 06:46 PM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    It sounds like the flap that you are referring to, is for the automatic choke. That would explain the hard starting when the engine is cold and the car running OK, when it warms up. The problem would be more pronounced when the outside air is cold. The automatic choke would not be utilized for any length of time when it is warm outside. It is really only designed to get the car started in colder weather and would be not operational after the first few minutes, if functioning properly. Most ccaarburetors used a vacuum pull off, to give the engine some air as soon as it started when cold. If that isn't working, then the engine can easily be flooded with extra fuel. It didn't sound like the symptom that you described.

If it isn't opening properly, then it would flood the engine with excess fuel, which would make it hard to start when the engine is hot.
    Yes, I think that is what Art told Stu. He bought linkage(?) cleaner today. Tomorrow we will be in Denver. Thanks so much Steve!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it's linkage, I think the carburetor needs re-jetting and an air/fuel adjustment for the altitude. Could it possibly be a vacuum leak contributing?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    It sounds like the flap that you are referring to, is for the automatic choke. That would explain the hard starting when the engine is cold and the car running OK, when it warms up. The problem would be more pronounced when the outside air is cold. The automatic choke would not be utilized for any length of time when it is warm outside. It is really only designed to get the car started in colder weather and would be not operational after the first few minutes, if functioning properly. Most ccaarburetors used a vacuum pull off, to give the engine some air as soon as it started when cold. If that isn't working, then the engine can easily be flooded with extra fuel. It didn't sound like the symptom that you described.

If it isn't opening properly, then it would flood the engine with excess fuel, which would make it hard to start when the engine is hot.
    Love the car Doc talk There should be car telehealth Docs ?!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I don't think it's linkage, I think the carburetor needs re-jetting and an air/fuel adjustment for the altitude. Could it possibly be a vacuum leak contributing?
    Carb needs to be rebuilt. He was going to adjust the time for the altitude, but we will be in lower elevations by late tomorrow. It's always something with these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 22, Saturday, May 14, 2022

After breakfast, we slowly motivated and checked out the Manchester Grand Hyatt and started our planned route towards Las Vegas. We spent the night at a Home2Suite in Barstow, CA. We went to go to dinner and the car gave Stu issues with stalling. He decides, which annoyed me beyond belief that we were headed home-no national parks, because “he wants to deal with the carb issues as little as possible”. The fact that we can get stuck on the way home seems to not sink in. I did laundry and stayed angry (a mild term for how I was feeling) the rest the night. The only bright spot was talking with our son and his girlfriend on his birthday.

Day 23, Sunday, May 15, 2022

After breakfast at the hotel, we loaded up. It took two of us to get the car started. We started to head toward home and Stu did contact a friend, Art, in Denver who works on cars and has for a long time since he is 80. This is the same guy I judged with at the show. He gives Stu info and advice and we decide to visit him in Denver to take a look at the car, since it is on the way home. Our regular place at home was going to be closed the beginning of the week-one guy on vacation and the other had surgery. We did talk and I expressed how upset I was and he said, we can fly out next year and do everything we are missing, because he was also disappointed. We stopped outside of Vegas for lunch and then drove by on Rt. 15. Looks like there are new things to check out since were there last in 2016. We made it to Cedar City, Utah for the night and had a great dinner at an Asian place. We also added Arches to our trip next May.

Day 24, Monday, May 16, 2022

After breakfast, we head to NAPA to get some stuff Art recommended. Stu did whatever he was told, because now, not only was he having issues with a flap sticking, we were getting into higher elevations and the thinner air causes issues too. We leaf Cedar City and continued north on RT. 15(we had been on it since California). This part of Utah is beautiful. I really wish I took pictures, but I was just enjoying the pastoral and mountain views. We picked up Rt. 70 and started heading east. Lunch was leftovers from dinner the night before. The scenery changed and we started getting into the higher elevations of 5000-6000 feet (so we thought). The views were stunningly beautiful. We stopped in Rifle, CO for dinner-the name of the town says it all and then to Glenwood Springs for the night.

Day 25, Tuesday, May 17, 2022

We were both exhausted and slept in past 8:30. We finally headed out around 10 am and we treated to amazing scenery along Rt. 70. The going was slow at times due to construction and elevations. I took a lot of pictures, so came out and some did not, and I could have taken soooo many more. The pictures do not do the area justice. Just beautiful. At many times, we were in elevations of 8000-10000 feet. The highest elevation is 11,158 feet in the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnel and is almost 1.7 miles long. It goes under the continental divide. Once we emerged from the tunnel, we started downhill and stopped for lunch. Then made our way to Lakewood, CO, which is a very nice community west of Denver. Art looked at the car while his wife and chatted and she gave a tour of their home. She has a craft room storage area that made me a little green with envy. She is very talented. The guys worked on the car and it turns out that the spare carb has not been rebuilt, so it could not be used. Art tweaked the current carb and Stu can hopefully handle the rest on our way home. We headed to the hotel and then met them for dinner a great Mexican place.

BTW-we encountered signs today that said, "All CMV must carry chains until 5/31".
    Last edited by robin; 05-17-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe travels home!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Stuck in Lexington, Nebraska. At least we are in a hotel and not on the side of the road. There are positives to every situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Stuck in Lexington, Nebraska. At least we are in a hotel and not on the side of the road. There are positives to every situation.
    Broken down stuck?

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh...I hope that you aren't stuck much longer.

0 0