This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9/11 18 years ago-Where were you and what were you doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Walt I google the Irish Punt Bar and it is still there in Sunset Park Brooklyn. A lot of nice reviews and to my surprised they filmed a scene from the movie The Departed which came out in 2006. I'm going to set a goal to go back for the 20th Anniversary of 9/11 and ask Gloria to come. She is actually retiring from my company March 2020. I still have until 2023 and we moved in July of this year out of wall street financial district and are now in the new hot spot Hudson Yards which makes me nervous because there are a lot of new tall skyscraper buildings, malls, restaurants, the walk way park and tons of tourist. When 9/11 occurred in 2001, we had just moved into the Financial District area in 1999 to be more visible as an insurance company and we endured this 9/11 event. Now we moved uptown to this Hudson Yard new fancy neighbor to be more visible.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    So true about the stories. A close friend's sister in law worked in the towers. Her family was frantic because they did not know what happened to her. What she had not told her family was she had an interview in a different part of NY that morning and was in the interview as everything was happening. Once she knew what happened she had a difficult time getting through due to all the jammed phone line.

There was a gentlemen from our town who was in a hotel next to the WTC when the first plane hit. He got in his car and left as soon has he heard what happened and before they shut down the bridges. He did not call his family and for 3 or 4 hours they had no idea where he was.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    I always said I was going to go back to that bar and I never went. I wonder if they are still there.It was a neighborhood pub. I had a friend who worked as a bartender at Windows Of The World the restaurant at the top of one of towers. He was supposed to work that day and come in at 9am. His coworker was off that day and he asked if he could swap days because he had to go to renew his green card or passport or something. His friend oblige and died that day. He felt so bad because he was supposed to be in that day and should have been the one that passed away but at the same time he was thankful and feeling guilty because he was happy to be alive. It's amazing the lives and stories of 9/11.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard so many stories from people who were in NY and everyone is different. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    I was at work 26th floor and my building was 10 blocks away from WTC but by the East River. My boss called me into his office because from his window there was a lot of paper flying around like what you would see in a ticker tape parade. He asked me what do you supposed this is? I said I dunno but I can see the debris as far out as the water. Then we heard on the radio that there was an accident and a small plane hit one of the towers. On the opposite side of out floor, you can see the towers. We all went to the window and could see 1 tower burning. Everyone was wondering how they were going to put that fire out on such a high floor. I went back to my desk and a lot of my coworkers hung out by the window.

Some of my coworkers who were hanging by the window watching the first tower burning, saw when the second Jet hit the other tower and were in shock. At that point they realized there was no small plane accident. The CEO of the company came down to every floor and asked everybody to remain in the building and not go outside. My friends continue to watch the towers burning. Later on I hear screaming. They saw the first tower come down. I looked outside my boss window and everything was black and grey. After it cleared, I could see people walking covered in dust. My phone rang and a company agency from Philadelphia called me to tell me the pentagon got hit and that we were under attack. At that point, it was very scary especially since we were in the area. After all the dust cleared I was thinking about leaving. My boss he AVP grabbed his brief case, did not look at anyone, did not say anything and just walk straight towards the exit and left. The Manager asked us to stay put but that when we leave to stay in pairs. He said since I live in Queens not to leave without my coworker Gloria since she also lived in Queens. I promised him that I would not leave without her so I stayed put.

The second tower came down and again total darkness, Grey and when it finally cleared I could see people covered in grey dust. I waited until it cleared a lot and then told my coworker lets go and we all pretty much left around noon. When we got outside everybody was walking North because trains were not running at all. We crossed the street towards the water and I asked a police officer if everyone was walking uptown to take the trains. She said she didn't know but asked where do I live. I said Queens. She said, well there is an Army Core Of Engineer Boat about to leave to Brooklyn so why don't I ask them if I can hitch a ride. I asked and they said sure. Gloria and I were the only civilians on that boat and it was really sad leaving Manhattan Harbor seeing, smelling and that smoke and dust. At the same time it was a relief that we were leaving the danger zone right away.

We made it to Brooklyn and I found a bar "The Irish Haven" and I said to Gloria, lets go inside, use the rest room and call our love ones to let them know we are alright. After we made the calls we found out that the subways were not running in Brooklyn either or everything was shut down. They had a large screen TV and we were just watching over and over the planes hitting the towers and the towers coming down. I saw it on TV and it was disturbing but my coworkers saw it live from our 26th floor building except for Gloria. Like me she stayed away from the window.

Anyway, the owner/bartender kept refilling the drinks and saying drinks are on the house, stay here no trains running. My friend Gloria told the bartender to stop refilling her glass because she is a lite drinker. The bartender looks at me and says to me in an Irish Accent, hey Boyo where you find this one? Then he said to her, listen lady, this is an Irish Bar and if you come in here, we expect you to drink to drink! And he refill her glass again. She looked at me and I said, I think you better drink up, bottoms up..

A few hours later and really drunk, they announced that the trains were running. Gloria and I left, hopped on a train to Queens and we actually fell asleep on the train but she woke up before her stop and my stop was much later. I made it home late, my sister in law, nephew and nieces, brother were all in my house staying for the night and glad I made it home safely.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was waiting for class to start at St. Joe's College in Patchogue, NY, which is out on Long Island and saw on the TV in the cafe that the first building had been hit. I don't remember going to class, so I think we all just stayed there watching the TV. I was with a friend whose father working there (I'm pretty sure in Tower One) and she simply could not get a hold of him because cell phones were not working. She left almost immediately and I remember offering to drive my friend home because she was so upset, but she ended up going off on her own. My friend's father was OK, but she didn't find out about that until much later that night. Finally they closed the school early that morning and everyone evacuated and went home.

I also remember the traffic to get out of the parking lot because everyone left at the same time. I waited for 20 min of not moving before I took advantage of my lifted pickup and drove over the curb to get out of the lot and onto the service road for Sunrise Highway, which also had traffic.

Living on the Island at that time, everyone knew someone who was affected in some way whether they worked there or were a first responder.

I also remember school not opening the next day, and closing a few times in the next few weeks for potential bomb scares. It was a very tense time.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on my bus commuting into NYC going to work on the NJ turnpike and was napping until I heard a woman scream we were under attack really loud on the bus - at that time i looked out the window to my right and saw a ton of smoke coming from the first tower hit. As my bus approached the Lincoln tunnel, the tunnel had just been closed to any through traffic which was good that we didn’t get into the city. I guess hitting the snooze button that morning helped me out. So our bus driver was just sitting there i told him turn this bus around and lets go back to the commuter lot, he then said it was illegal to make a turn there I told him you are out of your mind, nobody is worried about you making an illegal turn right now, get this bus the heck out of here. I said that a little differently but can't put what I really said in this forum - lol. Anyway, we get back to the bust stop, he gave all the passengers their tickets back and started driving home - it was a very eerie feeling being on the road there was no cars on the parkway. A day I'll never forget, a day we will all never forget.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was getting ready to go to class that day. I was back in college earning my teaching degree...my wife called me into our bedroom to show me what was happening...needless to say I did not go to class that day and honestly remember NOTHING else outside of being scared out of my mind and worried about family that worked in NYC.