This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9/11 Where were you 20 years ago today?

Post Thanks / Like
    One memory that came back to me today was the incredible amount of emails I received from all around the world that offered their support and condolences. I worked for a nonprofit that wrote fire safety codes and received emails from just about every country These we’re people who I did not know but they wanted to show their support for the US. It was really heartwarming.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    I had just came out of the Sierra Mountains after a remote camping/fishing trip on the 10th. We had been 12 miles from the nearest road. The morning of the 11th I was watching the weather channel from California & getting ready to fly home. They broke the news to me. It took me a week to get to NY. My Commercial Van was parked on Broadway, about 4 blocks South of the WTC. One of my cars was parked in a lot on John Street as my Son was going to pick me up. Both vehicles were there for weeks. I had two employees working on the roof of 26 Broadway. The heard the first plane hit and were still watching the fire when the 2nd one hit. They are from NJ and dropped everything and never came back to work in NYC. My Son and his future wife worked on Water Street, about a 1/2 mile away. Their boss told everyone to stay put in the office. They and many others ignored that command and had just left the building when the 2nd building collapsed sending debris and dust down John Street that covered everyone and everything. . Another Son was due to be in one of the Trade center buildings for a 10AM meeting. He was still on the train when it happened. My next door neighbor from when we lived in Tuckahoe took the day off from her job at the Trade center. Within 3 weeks my small Company was hired by some of the telecom companies to help restore service. I have pictures of the pit taken from the roof of the Woolworth Building, which is a block to where the towers stood. We now ( and did then ) live 3/4 mile below one of the upstate NYC reservoir Dams and 5 miles from a nuclear power plant. To say my wife was a bit nervous is an understatement.
    5 years later I got cancer. I have no idea if it is related to the smoke that rose up to the rooftops for at least a year but I do have a case still pending with the WTC compensation board. One last note. Security was still very light after the attacks. We were issued ID's to work in the immediate zone of the damage but more than once were were just waved thru the check points. Today in NYC you need a picture ID to enter pretty much every commercial building. I know multiple people who knew people who died that day. I am lucky to not known anyone directly. My Son and I still talk occasionally about his meeting being at 10AM and not 8AM. That would have been devastating.
    ColdSteel- Where in Tuckahoe did you live? I’m from a long time family here. My grandkids are 6th generation in the village.
    0 0

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Post Thanks / Like
    We lived at 77 Lincoln Ave. What a great town. We only left because after all 5 of our Children had left I wanted to downsize. I still stop in occasionally at Roma and Pipers Kilt. I ran my business out of 19 Mill Road.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    We lived at 77 Lincoln Ave. What a great town. We only left because after all 5 of our Children had left I wanted to downsize. I still stop in occasionally at Roma and Pipers Kilt. I ran my business out of 19 Mill Road.
    I live by the duck pond between Bronxville and Tuckahoe. My husband was Mayor Mike from 2003 to 2007. We’re related to the Tavolilla family of Roma’s through marriage. Best pizza around! Good burgers at the Pipers Kilt too.
    There’s a great book titled Columbus and Maynard that describes life in Tuckahoe when I was growing up in the 1960s. It’s a fun read.
    We stay at the Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba. Been owners since 2001. Now that I’m retired and my husband is semi retired we are blessed to be able to go to Aruba three times a year- October, May and the family vacation with the kids and grandkids in July.
    0 1