This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Alaska Cruise

I flew to Seattle on 9/20 and stayed at a cozy Hotel Andra in downtown Seattle for 2 nights. I met my oldest brother who lives in Seattle on 9/20 and 9/21 evening for dinner, drinks and a lot of catch up. We ate and drank at 2 different Rest Bar and the bartenders took very good care of us service wise and Bill wise which we were in shock but we were basically hanging out with the bartender, joking, telling stories, talking about family etc. The people in Seattle are just so down right polite. Unlike New Yorkers (no offense as I am from NY LOL) but just common courtesy and decency in Seattle from Hotel Desk, Rest and even people you meet from there. I thought I was in the Twight light Zone. LOL But my brother who has been living there for over 15 years explained to me that they are very laid back people unlike the fast pace in NY but not slow like in the islands.

On Sunday 9/22 I embarked on the Norwegian Bliss to Alaska until 9/29. The ship is new about 1 or 2 years, has an observatory with floor to ceiling glass for when you sail thru Glacier Bay. The ship was specifically designed for Alaskan cruises. This was the last cruise to Alaska for the 2019 season. The ship was wonderful with the different rest, bars, and shows, I had a free booze package.

The ship sailed to Junaeu, Skagway, Ketichican and Victoria BC. I only got off on Skagway and went on a 6 hour bus tour of the Yukon which was awesome and great tour guy. We made a lot of stops along the way to get off the bus and take pictures plus a very nice lunch. It was better than the train ride that people usually go on because we went further out than the train, as mentioned could get off bus to take pictures and it included lunch.

I would have loved to get off other ports but unfortunately, I was having back pain as well as sciatica issues for 23 days prior to heading out to Seattle. The first night I met with my brother for dinner, we made plans to go check out the Pacific Science Center in downtown Seattle the next day. Well on that Saturday morning, I could not walk due to the sciatica pain. Just as well because my brother was having gout issues and his foot swelled up and he could not put on his shoes. I took some tylenol and rested in hotel until evening and was able to walk a little to meet my brother for dinner but in pain.

Sunday when I checked into cruise ship, I was in a lot of pain but made my way onboard ship and rested at a restaurant for lunch. I did not feel any pain sitting but walking was painful. I had some Mobic NSAID that my doctor prescribed prior to the trip which I had not taken because you can't drink booze with that medication. I decided I was going to start the med that evening so for the first 3 days of cruise no wine with dinner or any booze. I took meds for 2 nights so no drinking day 1-3. I had some wine and after dinner drinks on day 4,5, 6. Day 7 I was in worst condition then when I started the trip. I could barely walk for 2 minutes without the tightening of muscles in both glutes, sciatica pain running down left side to my thighs, lower back pain and all muscles tightening up. I would walk like a duck for 2 minutes, sit for 5 minutes resume walking and sitting. At that point I was worried I was going to have issues on disembarkment day but I resumed the meds that night, tylenol, spent 3 hours in pool spa, lidocaine ointment, no booze and lots of the rest. The next day I was able to walk off ship and the long walks at airport gates in Seattle and NY. No drinking on the plane even though I flew first class. I'm ok now and have continue to take meds. Friday I have to see pain doctor again and maybe start physical therapy to see if it will help. The doctor told me it might be a herniated disc or arthritis of the hips but will not be sure unless I do an MRI.

Overall I made the best I could of the trip. I missed a lot of shows on the ship like Jersey Boys but got to see a Beatles cover band from London which were great. The cabin was a studio 99 square feet and the bed mattress was really hard making it worst for my back pain issues. Lying down on my back I felt no pain but after 15 minutes I felt extreme pain and would get up. Then pain would go away as i sat. I lay on my back and again 15 minutes later would wake up in pain. I kept getting up every 15 minutes like 20 times a night for 7 nights! When I went on the meds it was every 30 to 45 minutes and sometimes 2 hours of straight sleep. I kinda wish I did not decline the muscle relaxers the doc wanted to prescribe because it would have knocked me out but they make me very disoriented the next day.

I would love to go to Alaska again but in better health.

PS Today Ms Daisy turned 95...

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy 95th Birthday, MsDaisy! I am sorry to hear of your sciatic pain. I've had that in the past-a ruptured disc at L5/S1 and it is painful-had to have surgery. I know drinking does not kill that sciatic pain-I tried and it didn't work. I am glad you did get to enjoy part of the trip. Alaska is beautiful and hopefully you'll be able to go back without pain.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your pain, but it sounds like you still made the best of it and enjoyed the day your were able to get off the ship. Alaska is on my to-do list, everyone who goes raves about it.

Happy Birthday to Ms. Daisy!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Birthday to Ms Daily!!

Also, I am sorry to hear that the sciatic pain has been a true pain in your bum!

Is the sciatic pain caused from disc issues in your back or from the piriformis muscle in your bum?
    If it is from the piriformis..........mine was cured by massage therapy.

Feel better!

Please message me your address and I will send Ms Daisy a home made card!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Happy Birthday to Ms Daily!!

Also, I am sorry to hear that the sciatic pain has been a true pain in your bum!

Is the sciatic pain caused from disc issues in your back or from the piriformis muscle in your bum?
    If it is from the piriformis..........mine was cured by massage therapy. I'm not sure.

Feel better!

Please message me your address and I will send Ms Daisy a home made card!!
    I have to see pain doc on Friday but she did write me a script for PT but I was away so this week hopefully I can start.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible to have to travel in pain, but it sounds like you made the best of it. Years ago my sciatica was cured with a tennis ball... Happy Birthday to Ms. Daisy!

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    that tennis ball creates enough pressure to release that muscle that is presiding on the sciatic nerve!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tennis ball? I called today to start the Physical Therapy. They told me I have to get a preauthorization from health insurance. I said, I have the prescription written up by doc. No good need insurance to approve. I said since when? They said it became effective today. SMH...

Walt last December I stood at the Aruba Phoenix and it was my first time staying by the high rise. I had plans to walk the boardwalk every morning or evening. I was hardly able to make it from Aruba Phoenix to Bugalo which is a 10 minute walk. Sciatica pains, muscles tightening. The room had a jacuzzi so everyday after the beach I would fill it up with hot water, spend 20 minutes, rest and then was a little better to go out for dinner. I walked one evening from Aruba Phoenix to Azia which I think took 15 to 20 minutes and I was ok but then the pain returned when I was just getting there.

I hope the PT can help me.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that your pain disrupted your trip. I know you were really looking forward to it. Please wish Ms Daisy a very happy 95th!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember you posting about that stay at Divi Phoenix. Try the tennis ball. Place it right where it seems to hurt the most, back against the wall and kinda roll it around on that spot using your body. After a few days doing that, my pain went away and hasn't returned since. It's been over 10 years.