This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back Pain

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    keep us posted ace!
    wishing you well.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds so painful hope you get some answers and start a program to give you some relief.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Some bad news and good news!

The good. Pain has gone down and I have not taken any Tylenol, NSAID Prescription for the last 8 days. I still feel some pain whenever I sit too long or sleep on my side, bend but its more localized then when it first started which was spread out all over. Ive lost 9 pounds in the past 5 weeks so that helped and I started taking a Vit D supplement with Turmeric and Celadrin. Back in May my Doc told me my Vit D levels were very low and he asked me to pick up a supplement. I never did because I was flying to Aruba the next day and felt I would get plenty of Vit D there from the sun. Another great reason to go to Aruba for the year round Vit D. :>) Anyway, I read online that the body needs sufficient Vit D levels in order to absorb calcium which we all know is needed for strong bones. The Turmeric and Celadrin is a natural anti inflammatory. After taking these supplements for 2 weeks its made a world of a difference. Also I continue to do the stretches i learned in PT.

The bad, X-rays reflected arthritis of left hip and MRI reflected around 5 herniated disc advanced arthritis of the spine. They usually recommend epidural or spinal injections but I don't qualify because of the severity of multiple disc and it would make me weaker or the muscles around it. Dr was against Chiropractor since manipulating the spine at this point can cause one of those disc to bulge and sciatica pain would resume all over again. Like I mentioned, at the moment I do feel 90% better but I'm just walking with a slight limp since I still feel a pinch nerve by the hip area.

I had to stop PT a few weeks ago on account of being out of network. However, I found another one in-network and the DR is having a back pain sciatica seminar tomorrow which I will be attending and then on Monday start therapy. I will also try to resume walking on the treadmill, try to continue to lose weight and maybe look for a place where I can do some swimming for exercise as opposed to the treadmill at the gym which may have triggered those disc to bulge out.

At least now I know what is causing the sciatica, the weak muscles on my left side. The last few trips to Aruba I had problems. In May of this year a few days I could hardly walk from La Cabana to Paradise Villas for Dinner at La Terrazza. Very painful sciatica with sometimes both Bum tightening up. Then Dec 2018 when I stayed at Divi Aruba Phoenix, the walk from the resort to Bugalu for breakfast was a painful 15 minutes, walk to Azia as well.

I hope this next trip is more pain free since I endure 11 weeks of pain.
    Last edited by ArubaAce; 11-15-2019 at 05:13 PM.

1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow!
    Thanks for telling us.
    It is too bad you don't live here Ace.
    I teach a pool arthritis exercise class that increases joint mobility and lots of stretching.

Find a pool in your area..........school, community ctr, jcc, Y or private club.
    My husband has back issues and what works best for him is water walking. He walks for 2+ hours every day in chest deep water.
    Water not only creates resistance, it lets you work hard and you do not have to exert a ton of effort.
    Also the pressure of the water increases circulation and better circulation promotes healing.

Thanks for posting Ace!!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck Ace - hope something works for you, pain is very hard to deal with. I hope your trip to Aruba is comfortable for you so you can enjoy for vacation without so much pain.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    wow!
    Thanks for telling us.
    It is too bad you don't live here Ace.
    I teach a pool arthritis exercise class that increases joint mobility and lots of stretching.

Find a pool in your area..........school, community ctr, jcc, Y or private club.
    My husband has back issues and what works best for him is water walking. He walks for 2+ hours every day in chest deep water.
    Water not only creates resistance, it lets you work hard and you do not have to exert a ton of effort.
    Also the pressure of the water increases circulation and better circulation promotes healing.

Thanks for posting Ace!!
    I believe that about the water. On my last day of Alaska cruise I was in so much pain and could hardly walk. I had a spa pass but it was all the way to the front of the ship and I was in the back. I walked there in pain with a lot of rest. I spent 3 hours in the spa pool warm water and just like Paul I was able to walk pain free in the pool and stretch those muscles. Even though when I left I was still in pain, the next morning disembarkation day,I was a lot more mobile and was able to walk off the ship. At the Aruba Phoenix my room had a jacuzzi and I filled it up with warm water every day after the beach. That also helped me tremendously.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Ace, I hope your pain remains manageable. Back pain, leg pain is so disruptive and limiting.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had one herniated disk at L5S1 about 20 years ago and they did surgery to remove the herniated material - you could not see the sciatic nerve in an MRI because the herniated material surrounded it. It's a long story involving workman's comp which I won't go into, but I can tell you I know your pain. PT to strengthen the muscles hopefully will help. I had knee pain earlier this year and PT worked to strengthen the muscles around it and that is fine now, so hopefully it'll do the same for your back.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    So today I went to a seminar on back pain and sciatica given by a Physical Therapist who has a doctorate degree on the subject. There were about 20 people in attendance and most of them were retired. He went around asking everyone if they wanted to talk about their condition. I felt bad hearing the stories of others and how bad it can get! I was like oh my is this is what I'm up against when I hit my 60s, 70s. 80s. However, when he spoke about treatment with PT it all sounded much hopeful. I signed up for my evaluation on Monday morning but will also start PT with them as well. Hopefully they can help me manage my condition, reduce pain and increase my flexibility on the left side.

He read some statistic that were interesting. There was a random test done on people who never had back pain symptoms. So they did MRIs and 20% of them show some form of herniated disc between age 35 to 55 and the older patients the percentage was higher around 70%.

Anyway I'm gonna do 4 weeks of PT before my Aruba trip which will hopefully help me out. I guess I will do that water aerobics class at La Cabana Pool which I just used to watch while sipping rum punch.

0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad that seminar was informative!!

that water aerobics class may not be ideal Ace!
    there is LOTS of pounding and jumping which is NOT GOOD for folks with back issues.

also too, if you are going to do any water walking..........get some decent water shoes.
    not the slipper-type, but the sneaker type.
    Paul has a pair of Columbia water shoes that he loves.
    they look like sneakers with lots of drainage so that they do not hold the water.
    https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/columbi...2/?color=48897
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    So today I went to a seminar on back pain and sciatica given by a Physical Therapist who has a doctorate degree on the subject. There were about 20 people in attendance and most of them were retired. He went around asking everyone if they wanted to talk about their condition. I felt bad hearing the stories of others and how bad it can get! I was like oh my is this is what I'm up against when I hit my 60s, 70s. 80s. However, when he spoke about treatment with PT it all sounded much hopeful. I signed up for my evaluation on Monday morning but will also start PT with them as well. Hopefully they can help me manage my condition, reduce pain and increase my flexibility on the left side.

He read some statistic that were interesting. There was a random test done on people who never had back pain symptoms. So they did MRIs and 20% of them show some form of herniated disc between age 35 to 55 and the older patients the percentage was higher around 70%.

Anyway I'm gonna do 4 weeks of PT before my Aruba trip which will hopefully help me out. I guess I will do that water aerobics class at La Cabana Pool which I just used to watch while sipping rum punch.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 11-16-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    0 0