This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadians to Aruba...long term insurance question (not what Aruba is selling to us)

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Canadians to Aruba...long term insurance question (not what Aruba is selling to us)

If you are a snowbird or stay more than a few weeks.......
    What is the situation with your insurance supplement that you are required to purchase over and above your government health insurance for your long tern Aruba stay?

Here is FLA, we have numerous Canadian homeowners in our community.
    They were "ordered to return home to Canada in April during the pandemic.
    Some of them now are putting their homes on the market or for seasonal rent as they cannot afford to come back this coming Fall Winter.

My friend Lori's additional fee for her insurance for 160 days for Covid is $10K CAD.
    How crazy is that!??

What about you folks from up North that are homeowners on Aruba?
    Will you visits and long term stay be impacted by covid supplemental insurance?

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Canadian Homeowners long term stay

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    If you are a snowbird or stay more than a few weeks.......
    What is the situation with your insurance supplement that you are required to purchase over and above your government health insurance for your long tern Aruba stay?

Here is FLA, we have numerous Canadian homeowners in our community.
    They were "ordered to return home to Canada in April during the pandemic.
    Some of them now are putting their homes on the market or for seasonal rent as they cannot afford to come back this coming Fall Winter.

My friend Lori's additional fee for her insurance for 160 days for Covid is $10K CAD.
    How crazy is that!??

What about you folks from up North that are homeowners on Aruba?
    Will you visits and long term stay be impacted by covid supplemental insurance?
    We feel that the present requirement for additional 'Island Insurance' for homeowners that have their own covid-19 insurance is greatly unnecessary and unfair. There has to be a 'special consideration' for such homeowners that come for an extended period of time. Such people present a very small monitory risk to the Island. In case of quarantine or even isolation, this can be done in our residence. Even in case of additional health related expenses, first, there is our own insurance coverage, and second, we live on the island six months every year, and we own property, so it's not that there is a risk of us disappearing with unpaid expenses to the island.
    It seems that the authorities have been very effective in the screening of the coming tourists. The cases discovered are few and the financial risk to the island seem to be minimal. In view of this, there has to be a through review of the mandatory insurance requirements and definitely a revision of the daily rates, especially for property owners with extended stay.
    This mandatory insurance requirement is preventing many would be visitors from coming to the island, thereby negatively affecting the 'return to normal' process. We come every Summer for six weeks and every Winter for four and a half months to our house.
    This year we already gave up on our Summer visit because the additional insurance costs proved to be prohibitive. If there is not a reasonable arrangement for homeowners towards the Winter, that stay too will be questionable. From what we hear from other Canadian homeowners they are also of the same opinion. This doesn't bode well to Aruba's economy.
    If the situation continues to be manageable, meaningful changes in policy have to be made. Otherwise, Aruba's economical recovery will be in danger because tourists will go to other destinations, and homeowners will just stay away with their properties slowly deteriorating, losing value and spreading despair.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must not have been clear in my posting.
    I am inquiring about the COVID insurance that you would have to purchase to supplement your Canada policy.......(Not the policy that Aruba is offering)

Quote Originally Posted by yoramporat View Post
    We feel that the present requirement for additional 'Island Insurance' for homeowners that have their own covid-19 insurance is greatly unnecessary and unfair. There has to be a 'special consideration' for such homeowners that come for an extended period of time. Such people present a very small monitory risk to the Island. In case of quarantine or even isolation, this can be done in our residence. Even in case of additional health related expenses, first, there is our own insurance coverage, and second, we live on the island six months every year, and we own property, so it's not that there is a risk of us disappearing with unpaid expenses to the island.
    It seems that the authorities have been very effective in the screening of the coming tourists. The cases discovered are few and the financial risk to the island seem to be minimal. In view of this, there has to be a through review of the mandatory insurance requirements and definitely a revision of the daily rates, especially for property owners with extended stay.
    This mandatory insurance requirement is preventing many would be visitors from coming to the island, thereby negatively affecting the 'return to normal' process. We come every Summer for six weeks and every Winter for four and a half months to our house.
    This year we already gave up on our Summer visit because the additional insurance costs proved to be prohibitive. If there is not a reasonable arrangement for homeowners towards the Winter, that stay too will be questionable. From what we hear from other Canadian homeowners they are also of the same opinion. This doesn't bode well to Aruba's economy.
    If the situation continues to be manageable, meaningful changes in policy have to be made. Otherwise, Aruba's economical recovery will be in danger because tourists will go to other destinations, and homeowners will just stay away with their properties slowly deteriorating, losing value and spreading despair.

0 0

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I must not have been clear in my posting.
    I am inquiring about the COVID insurance that you would have to purchase to supplement your Canada policy.......(Not the policy that Aruba is offering)
    Our existing Canadian 'Travel Insurance' covers us also for any expenses associated with covid-19, once the borders are declared 'open' by the government of Canada, with no extra charge, and coverage up to 6 months. This is probably the case with most Canadian Travel Insurance policies.

The problem that prevents Canadians, that are homeowners in Aruba, from coming for extended periods to Aruba IS the Aruban requirement to buy local insurance even if you have your own coverage. I stated in my previous posting why we feel this should be reviewed and revised by the government.

According to the Aruban government, 9 tourists have tested positive so far and none required Hospital stay, only isolation. Meanwhile, over 7000 tourists have paid $15 per day as insurance, making it a purse of $105,000 each day! (probably way over a million dollars by now). I don't want to label it 'a money grub' but it smacks of a very lucrative enterprise... This has to change if the government wants the tourists to come back. Only travelers that don't have their own travel insurance, including covid-19, should be required to buy the local coverage.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a very interesting question, considering it has to do with Canada’s insurance and not the USA.

With the insurance that you would have in place from Canada, how would your medical bills be paid while you were in Aruba, if you were stricken with COVID-19 and required hospitalization?

I did look at Arub’s insurance calculator, adding more than 90 days. It stated that they are working on longer stays.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    This is a very interesting question, considering it has to do with Canada’s insurance and not the USA.

With the insurance that you would have in place from Canada, how would your medical bills be paid while you were in Aruba, if you were stricken with COVID-19 and required hospitalization?

I did look at Arub’s insurance calculator, adding more than 90 days. It stated that they are working on longer stays.

In case there is an emergency that requires hospitalization, including covid-19 related, or any medical emergency, I contact immediately the coverage provider, and they guaranty direct payment to the hospital. Also covered is emergency airlift direct to Canada by a dedicated medical airplane.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    That is great coverage. I wish we has something similar here in the states.

Have you ever had to use it on the island?
    Last edited by schexc; 07-26-2020 at 05:33 PM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    That is great coverage. I wish we has something similar here in the states.

Have you ever had to use it on the island?

We used it twice for doctor visits due to regular flu. Nothing major. We paid cash and claimed when we returned to Canada
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the situation with aruba hospital now...........the hospital will not accept anything but Aruba's Insurance for Covid related illness. (the one we have to purchase thru the ed card site.) the hospital will not do direct billing to Canada, or to any other country for covid related illnesses. they will NOT accept cash or credit card for covid related from tourists. it all has to go thru that insurance that all tourists are required to purchase.

the hospital still will accept cash or credit cards for OTHER illnesses of tourists.
    those are then submitted to your health insurance for reimbursement.

my intent with this thread was NOT about Aruba's mandatory tourist covid insurance policy.
    the intent was/is for the Canadians that are long term aruba visitors........either homeowners OR renters.

Here in FLA, our snowbirds from Canada are being charged $10,000 CAD for Covid Insurance as the usual supplement does not cover pandemics.
    and the original question is: I am inquiring about the COVID insurance that you would have to purchase to supplement your Canada policy.......(Not the policy that Aruba is offering)

Here in FLA, our snowbirds from Canada are being charged $10,000 CAD for Covid Insurance as the usual supplement does not cover pandemics.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch, 10k for covid insurance in FL would certainly keep me at home.....and it makes the amount in Aruba seem very, very small.