This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14

Post Thanks / Like

Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14

I am just getting this set up for next week since I cannot sleep again.

We have a trip for an Antarctic Explorer cruise on Hurtigruten that was scheduled for March of 2021 and rescheduled for next week. This trip was planned in 2019 for March of 2021 and we know how things were in 2020/2021.

We decided to go on this because a friend of ours from high school, who is a travel agent, planned it. Originally, we had a room with a large window, but due to Hurtigruten giving everyone 125% of what we paid toward rebooking and an awesome sale last Thanksgiving, we were upgraded to a jr. suite and received $$$ back which didn't come close to covering our flights.

I am very anxious. I am used to dealing with a different travel agent who has the pre and post excursions booked well in advanced. Getting anything done with this person is like pulling teeth. We also missed out on an excursion on the ship we wanted. Unlike Viking, Hurtigruten does not let you do anything if a travel agent is involved. There are 18 people in this group and other than our friend, we don't know anyone since the one other person cancelled due to lack of communication. Right now, we finally have the pre trip tours booked and we are working on the post trip. I like having all my ducks in a row, at attention and ready to march well in advance. That is not happening with this trip and it is so frustrating. I am booking stuff on our own at this point. I am also very anxious being so far away from home.

Basically, we fly from PHL to MIA to Santiago, Chile. We spend about 24 hours there, then go to Valparisio, Chile for about 24 hours before boarding the ship. We are on the ship for 18 days with 3 stops(one for two days) in Chile then to the peninsula of Antarctica for 4 days. The rest is at sea. We end in Ushuaia, Argentina and are flown to Buenos Aires. We will spend a few days there, then fly to see the Iguazu Falls for an over night and then back to Buenos Aires for a day and then later that night fly back home. We hope to book a day trip to Uruguay.

There is a lot to do between now and when we leave. Last weekend we were away for two night for a wedding and this weekend we are away for one night for a car show(we will see friends and family, too) along with doctor's appointments(I had two this week) and a repairman coming before we leave. I have a list for each day until we leave. I am so far behind on life. It'll all get done, but my stress level is up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Robin, this sounds like an exciting trip! Take a deep breath and prior to departure think 'one day at a time'. On the trip 'live in the moment'. We look forward to reading all about it!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. From your other trip reports it seems like you’re able to go with the flow and adjust better than most of us so I’m sure you will be fine. Can’t wait for your trip report and hope everything falls into place.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    this will be the trip of a lifetime.
    that is a long time on a ship...glad that you got a jr suite.

enjoy..........the penguins!!!
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This trip does sound very exciting and adventurous! Appears to be a lot of different things to tackle Robin but as I know from reading your posts you are one together woman and you'll do just fine. The excursion set ups have to be frustrating but do what you can do. You and Stu have a lot on your plate right now but once you are on your trip I'm certain things will flow and you both will enjoy it all. Very happy that you two can do this trip, should be wonderful sights to see and explore. Take a deep breath

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a wonderful trip! I think my in-laws were going to do that trip. Or one very similar. I can't wait to read all about it! Antarctica would be AMAZING to see!!! Enjoy the heck out of this adventure!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm excited to read this trip report! Antarctica sounds very interesting.
    Darlene
    0 1

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Robin,

This is the trip of a lifetime.

You are heading to a part of the world and will see things that most of the rest of us only see on PBS.

Have a great trip and please tell all about it.

Safe travels and most of all, enjoy!

Glenn
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds amazing!
    Trip 38 booked for Feb! Cant wait.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This is definitely a trip of a lifetime! You will get everything together. Not to worry. Just enjoy every moment. BTW I have major problems sleeping too. Bad sleeping habits but it’s frustrating and I sometimes have to take a pill. You are not alone. Have a blast.
    0 0