This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG I had to laugh at your “me first” story. I can really picture it!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    OMG I had to laugh at your “me first” story. I can really picture it!!
    Peg, I was cracking up too - well done Robin!

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided that I love Buenos Aires! It is a beautiful city, clean for the most part, beautiful and varied architecture-feels like Europe, but feels like America, too. It so very well taken care of in most area and has a long history. There is much to see and do here and I know we both feel like we will want to come back for a longer period of time.

Yesterday we did a private combined tour with one of the people from our group(just 3 people in a car with the guide). It was boat tour of the Tiger River and Delta, then a city tour. Our guide was one of the best we have ever had. We started in BA and stopped to see beautiful rose gardens. Our guide narrated the whole time. We drove the hour to Tiger, boarded the boat with others and drove through the deltas and saw how people lived on the deltas. It was warm and sunny and simply very relaxing. We then walked the local market and grabbed some local snacks. Then we headed back to BA and went into most neighborhoods. Got out and walked around. Our guide was excellent in giving us the history and other information about the city, the economy, real life, what it is like to live here, in a fun and honest way.

After the amazing day, we went to a Tango Dinner and show with another couple from our group-we both happened to sign up for the same one. We got transportation, but they didn't so they walked. We had a great time. The show was tango, and gaucho music and much more. The dinner was not great though. We walked back with our friends-it was less than 3 blocks from our centrally located hotel. They eat very late here-early dinner is 8 pm. Yeah, I know. We did not get back to our hotel until midnight and had to be up at 6 am for a 7 am pickup for today's adventure.

Today we did a small group tour to Colonia, Uruguay. We were picked up at 715. There were two people already in the van and we were taken to the ferry. I won't go into the details about how screwed up immigration and customs is, but ugh. The ferry ride was very nice-huge ferry with food available, a duty free shop and very comfy seating on multiple levels. The ride was just over an hour. We both fell asleep. The immigration and customs on the Uruguay side was not much better. The guide meet the 4 of us and we did a walking tour of the oldest city in the country. We learned the history, economics, about life, etc. It is really quiet, unique area with Portugueses and Spanish and a little English influences. We had several hours to ourselves and had lunch at a place over the looking the river. We wandered into a few shop. It's amazing what they sell-one shop had a Rt. 66 sign and another had a cap from the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. SMH on that one. We met the guide and did all the customs and immigration in reverse. Slept again on the way back. People were shoving to get off the ferry. But the joke was on some of them that pushed ahead of us. A kid started puking between the ferry and immigration and those people were in the "splash zone" and we were not. We got back to the hotel around 7:30 and went to a cafe for dinner since most places do not open to 8 pm and that just was not happening tonight.

Tomorrow we go to Iguazu Falls for the overnight. It is a 2-3 hour domestic plane ride, but these falls are supposed to make Niagara Falls look like nothing grand. We will be back late on Saturday. Sunday we have a private tour of the Jewish quarter and at 930ish pm board our first of two flights home.

I'll upload pictures to Google tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nov. 11-12 Iguazu Fall makes Niagara Falls look like a spring shower. They are amazing. The number of waterfalls depend on the water level because of how the water flows. We flew up on the 11th. I will never complain how long it takes to get through Aruba's airport again. We were flying domestically without any checked bags out of the smaller airport in the city. 40-50 minutes to check in(no checked bags) and 40-50 minutes to get through security. We were picked up at the airport by the tour company and taken to our hotel. I had picked a better grade of hotel when I booked the tour, but I guess because we were there for a private tour and there were large tour groups staying at the hotel, we were upgraded to a sweet suite. Our room overlooked an area that Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina come together: Hito Tres Fronteras Argentina. We grabbed a late lunch at the hotel and took a 2-3 siesta-we were so tired. We woke up round 630 and walked round the area and shared a pizza at a nearby restaurant.

We were picked up at 8 am and taken to the park. There are 3 walking paths to view the fall. The third one was washed out 2 months ago and it was closed. We did the other two-lower one which you view the many, many falls from a lower level and the upper one that you actually walk above the falls. All walkways are raised metal walkways and tons of steps. We saw tons of different, colorful butterflies, a coatai(spelled wrong) that looks something like a raccoon with a long snout, and gator eating a rat, with a butterfly on it's back, a toucan and tons of birds. After lunch we did a boat ride(25 minute 4x4 ride to the location)-walked down 150 steps, put on a life jacket and got in a speed boat(we wore our waterproof stuff from the trip) with maybe 20-30 others. We shot up the rapids and under the falls! You get wet on Maid of the Mist, on this you get soaked! It was awesome. The 150 steps back up were not awesome. Our guide met us and dropped us off for dinner, then picked us up and we to the airport to go back to Buenos Aires. I thought it was a 2-3 flight, but it was only 1.5 hours. We got back to the room around midnight and packed.

This morning we finished packing, did a lame tour of the Jewish Quarter-huge disappointment-we thought it would be like Paris or Rome-nope. Came back tot the hotel and walked to place on the water for lunch. We stayed in the lobby of the hotel until the Uber came to take us to the main airport. Got here and American counter did not open for 1.5 hours. We did run into a family that was on our cruise and in our excursion group. We are on the same flight to Miami. Currently sitting in the lounge and waiting for sandwiches. Our flight is at 9:39 and is almost 9.5 hours. We have almost a 4 hour layover in Miami. Hopefully we will be home early afternoon on Tuesday.

I need to go through the pictures before uploading them and I don't know when I will the time.

Thanks for coming along with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    You’ve done an incredible job documenting your trip. Even before viewing your photos I get a picture in my head. Thank you for sharing.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    another wow!

you and stu had so much crammed into so little time.

hope that you get to sleep on the plane

safe travels
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures are uploaded. The video would not upload to google photos, but did upload to FB. We are sitting in the lounge in Miami. Stu slept the whole flight, and I had a fitful about 5-6 hours. We could have made the 7 am flight they wanted to put us on, but we didn't want to take that chance, besides, after 10 hours on a plane(including time from boarding) it is nice not to be on another plane right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing your your incredible trip with us! I admire your sense of adventure. I would never have had the guts to do even half of what you and Stu experienced but your detailed reports and photos brought us all along. Thank you!
    0 0