This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoying your photos. Glad you were able to make them public!!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We were at sea yesterday and will be for the next few days.

We slept in a little-8 am. The captain came on explained about our transit through the narrows and some other stuff. Went to breakfast and back to the room for our normal routine. I also began to rearrange things and put stuff away in preparation for the Drake. Worked on editing(mostly cropping/straightening) pictures. After lunch, was more of the same, plus a nap.

At 330 we had a mandatory meeting for our time in Antarctica-do's and don'ts. Everything about visiting Antarctica is heavily regulated-from the number of people allowed at each landing site at a time, to what you can wear, to how to behave around the animals, to what you can and cannot touch, cleaning of your outerwear/boots before and after, etc.

During our meeting(the last one of the day based on zodiac groups), we were told they opened up excursions once we arrive in Ushuaia. As a group of 16, we signed up for the excursion-it took a while because it was supposed to be on the app and of course,was not, so 8 cabins were trying to sign up together with excursion desk.

Since we are now doing the tour, it means we will be on the last flight to Buenos Aires and miss the Tango dinner we had all signed up for individually but as a group. So back to the room to cancel that. Meanwhile, before heading to the room, our new friend from the group realized he had not signed up for anything on the 9th and decided to join Stu and I for the tour we booked(our travel agent just gave everyone the info and we booked it ourselves). He came up with us to the room and I canceled the dinner and rebooked our BA excursion for three rather than two, which is a real PIA. I tried adding Todd and they wanted to charge $330, however; by cancelling and rebooking, it was $165. Why it was trying to book it as double, is beyond me. So, I had to rebook and cancel.

We had about 30 minutes before dinner and I worked on the public FB page. Then joined 3 others for dinner. Back to the room for an hour to work on FB page and then to the lounge with our group of 7. There was a game night between our ship and the Nansen(our sister ship a day behind us)-40 question quiz. We played on our phones. About 25% of our ship played. We had a lot of fun, but Nansen won. We hung out and talked until the lounge closed at midnight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t realize the Antarctica was so regulated. Does the cruise provide any of the outerware? Hopefully, you knew what to pack if not!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I didn’t realize the Antarctica was so regulated. Does the cruise provide any of the outerware? Hopefully, you knew what to pack if not!!
    We were given the red Helly Hanson jackets. They are really good waterproof, windwind breakers. They want us to wear them because they can easily spot us especially with those neon yellow hoods. You are supposed to layer with a base layer, a top, something warm like fleece and then the jacket. YOu can have as many layers as needed and are comfortable. Pants should be a base layer, fleece and waterproof pants. We are loaned muck boots-everyone has to wear them They recommend two layers of gloves-one waterproof. Hats are needed and scarves are recommended. I bought a hat with a face mask and it also comes down low to act as a scarf. sort of. We are only out for 60-90 minutes at a time. It's a huge operation to get people in their groups, on to the zodiacs and to the landing sites or out to cruise. Each zodiac holds 8-12 and there are 394(?) passengers. Since it is the beginning of the spring/summer season-they expect we will see lots of ice in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is quite the expedition!
    I’m happily tagging along as your armchair traveler.
    Absolutely loving the adventure!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Facebook is requiring a login now.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Facebook is requiring a login now.
    ugh. I'm sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday was a quiet day. Did the normal stuff. I did walk around the ship and take pictures of different areas-just 3 more to do. We attended a workshop on smartphone photography. We learned a lot of things we did not know our phones can do-lots of different settings and how they work. We also had to vacuum any coats, hats, gloves, camera bags, backpacks, etc. that we will be taking with us on Antarctica(all outer garments and bags) to prevent the possibility of bringing something onto the land that could cause issues-something that could be invasive. They had two vacuums set up on two different floors and we were assigned a time by landing/zodiac groups. They did have a member of the expedition crew overseeing it. We did stop near Puerto Williams to drop off the pilot we had. It looks like a nice little town. We were also told we would not go to or circle Cape Horn because of the weather/sea conditions. The rest of the day was like the rest-hanging out with others until 11 or so. We took our sea sick pills before heading into the open waters around 10-11 pm. We are surely rocking, rolling and creaking. I don't know how those early explorers did it in their wooden clipper ships.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Drake Shake is very real. It isn't as bad as we thought. I took meds, so I don't know how I would have handled it without them. However; I did feel crappy most of the day because I slept in a way that I woke up with a lot of neck pain which gave me a headache. Took meds, had a massage, but it was the muscle relaxers last night that did the trick. I slept off and on between meals, watched some TV. Felt so bad during the first lecture I attended that I left and missed the one on penguins that I really wanted to go to. We attended the briefing for today and they explained the procedures on Half Moon Island-where we will land in our zodiacs, where the penguin colony will be, how long we will be there, what to do if we want to do the polar plunge(we are thinking about it), how far to stay away from the penguins and seals, and how to get in and out of the zodiacs and a few other things aimed that those who chose to do snowshoeing or kayaking. Our "seal group' time to go on the island is 5:25 and we should be out there for 60-90 minutes. We were in bed by 10 pm.

This morning I woke up feeling much better. It's still rocking, but not as much and it is very foggy. We should be arriving at the Antarctic island of Half Moon Island around noon.

Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14-screen-shot-2022-11-02-9-59-50-am-jpg Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14-screen-shot-2022-11-02-9-59-35-am-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t believe I could get past THINKING about a polar plunge! Today should be an exciting one. Anxious to hear about your experience.

0 0