This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14

Post Thanks / Like
    Robin, I started looking at more of your pics on the public facebook link, so amazing! I love how you take pics of the info and wildlife, etc. too, so interesting! You and Stu look so cute and so happy! You have to be having such a great time - I cannot even imagine seeing and experiencing all that you have been seeing and experiencing - a truly memorable trip! And thank you so much for taking us along and posting all of the info and pics, such a beautiful and stunning trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14-img_7525-jpg Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14-img_7523-jpg

Taken on our balcony in front of one of the islands on the way in to Half Moon Island. It is 30 degrees and windy. We are expecting snow by the time we go on land at 525. Our group is the Weddell Seals. I just hope that one couple in the Weddell Seals gets put on a different Zodiac. They talk like they are lawyers, but act like hillbillies. They were at the table next to us at lunch and kept calling snowshoeing, horseshoeing and called the groups that went out early "stinky whales"(various groups with different whale species). She has to be the first one off of every bus even if they are in the back and he looks like a very scruffy Santa with love beads. We call them "me first and santa".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14-img_7525-jpg Chile, Antarctica, Argentina Oct. 19-Nov.14-img_7523-jpg

Taken on our balcony in front of one of the islands on the way in to Half Moon Island. It is 30 degrees and windy. We are expecting snow by the time we go on land at 525. Our group is the Weddell Seals. I just hope that one couple in the Weddell Seals gets put on a different Zodiac. They talk like they are lawyers, but act like hillbillies. They were at the table next to us at lunch and kept calling snowshoeing, horseshoeing and called the groups that went out early "stinky whales"(various groups with different whale species). She has to be the first one off of every bus even if they are in the back and he looks like a very scruffy Santa with love beads. We call them "me first and santa".
    Beautiful backdrop. You look chilly and Stu needs a warmer coat

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!!!! Today was so cool!!!! We road the zodiacs to our landing site and were greeted by a group of Gentoo on the rocky beach. We got our walking poles and headed up to where the Chinstrap Penguins were nesting. They were very high up and we could not get too close because they are nesting, but a few came down to check us out or go into the water. We got lots of pictures and then headed back down while 4 of the 7 of us did the polar plunge(nope, not us-too many clothes to take off and too rocky, not to mention cold) and a few more Gentoos joined us-getting in and out of the water. It started snowing, too. We zodiaced back, did the boot wash and sanitation of the boots and back to the room to change.

So you might wonder how I dressed: Top: bra, long base layer(I can't wear wool), then a long sleeve tee shirt, fleece top, quilted fall jacket and the Hurtigruten wind/rain coat with hood. Bottom:3 pairs of socks, underwear, base layer, fleece joggers, muckboots, waterproof pants. Also, life preserver, backpack, hat with facemask, two pairs of gloves and goggles(when the wind picked up because it bothers my contacts) and my iphone in case with a strap.

Kudos to the expedition team members.

I'll try to upload pictures, but the whole ship seems to be online because it is very slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sitting in our cabin watching ice floating by. We were supposed to on land by now, but everything is delayed 3 hours due to slowing going through the floating ice-some very large pieces. The cruising in the zodiacs this pm is cancelled due to everything being pushed back 3 hours. Not unexpected because anything can happen in this climate so early in the spring.

We are surely in better shape than the Nansen-our sister ship that was a day or so behind us(the Fram, another sister ship is a day or two ahead of us). 100 KM to Antarctica, they are turning around and going back to Chile or Argentina due to a medical emergency on board. The waves are 30ft swells in the Drake and it is too dangerous to land an evac helicopter on the ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Change of plans again. The conditions of where we were heading is deteriorating. Now head to a different area to do cruising, maybe. Internet is soooooo slow uploading pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    We were supposed to go to Orne Harbour for an 8:40 landing then 3:40 zodiac cruising. There was too much ice in the water, so it was delayed 3 hours and cruising cancelled. Then it was decided due to deteriorating weather conditions, we would go to Wilhelmina Bay to do cruising. It was snowing. We went out at 1:10 on the zodiacs for 30 minutes with Luciano, an excellent member of the expedition team. It was cold, windy, very foggy and snowing like crazy. Ice all around us-both chunks, and sea ice. We did see some Fur seals napping on floating ice. The pictures were difficult to take because of all of the snow and 10 people on the zodiac. I loved it, but was happy to go back to the ship. Stu had built a small snowman on the railing of the balcony and he was almost covered in snow by the time we got back. We got all the clothing off and I joined some friends in the hot tub wearing a hat because it was snowing so hard. Stu forgot to bring a bathing suit, so he stayed in the cabin. We then went to the sauna. I showered and tried to upload pictures, but unless it is one or two at a time, it isn't happening-I guess the snow and fog are messing with the internet-Starlink-I think. Took a nap until they announced we were moving again. Went up to the lounge to get some tea and the front windows were completely covered in snow. Sat by a side window, talking and watching the sea ice and floating ice. There was a pair of whale, but I didn't see them. Just getting ready to join the group for dinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night we ate as a group of 7 and then several to the briefing for today. A few us went to the lounge, where a waiter dropped a drink down my back. I had just leaned forward to put mine on the table and it got the me in the lower back and the chair. I had fleece top on, so it absorbed some of it. I washed it out and back up to play a game.

So the only consistent thing when exploring Antarctica this time of year is change. We were supposed to do an 11:05 landing in Neko Bay and a 5;40 cruising. This morning, they announce a change-cruising first. Our group was set to now go out at 9:55. By 9:35 I had three pairs of socks, my muck boots which are a PITA to put on, three layers of bottoms and three layers of top. Just the jacket, waterproof coat, life jacket, gloves and hats and they call off the cruising operations. We have to move or get blocked in or something. I didn't hear the whole announcement because I was trying to get snow off of our railing so I could see. Time will tell what happens next.

It is so very beautiful here and I am so happy to be here. We saw pods of penguins swimming as we left breakfast. So cool!

Still trying to upload pictures. I might have to wait until we head north.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. Also, I’m beyond impressed at how well you can go with the flow and still have fun. Anxious to see your penguin photos.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Last night we ate as a group of 7 and then several to the briefing for today. A few us went to the lounge, where a waiter dropped a drink down my back. I had just leaned forward to put mine on the table and it got the me in the lower back and the chair. I had fleece top on, so it absorbed some of it. I washed it out and back up to play a game.

So the only consistent thing when exploring Antarctica this time of year is change. We were supposed to do an 11:05 landing in Neko Bay and a 5;40 cruising. This morning, they announce a change-cruising first. Our group was set to now go out at 9:55. By 9:35 I had three pairs of socks, my muck boots which are a PITA to put on, three layers of bottoms and three layers of top. Just the jacket, waterproof coat, life jacket, gloves and hats and they call off the cruising operations. We have to move or get blocked in or something. I didn't hear the whole announcement because I was trying to get snow off of our railing so I could see. Time will tell what happens next.

It is so very beautiful here and I am so happy to be here. We saw pods of penguins swimming as we left breakfast. So cool!

Still trying to upload pictures. I might have to wait until we head north.
    I am so happy for you and Stu - I can only imagine what it's like - such an amazing trip! I adore all penguins, so adorable!! Thanks again for your trip reporting, it's so enjoyable to read and love, love, love your pics!