This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus effects in your hometown.

Post Thanks / Like
    My credit union is that way too. But the banks are open. Everyone was masked and I was one of about 6 people in the bank including guard and employees. I felt relatively safe.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I’m starting to find annoying is the constant and continuous reporting on the coronavirus. There’s an hour of news, followed by an hour with the governor and then an hour of the Mayor of Boston regurgitating what has already been reported. It’s no longer Breaking News. I’m sure there may be some who value these constant updates but I have to shut the television off. Does anyone else feel the same?

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    One thing I’m starting to find annoying is the constant and continuous reporting on the coronavirus. There’s an hour of news, followed by an hour with the governor and then an hour of the Mayor of Boston regurgitating what has already been reported. It’s no longer Breaking News. I’m sure there may be some who value these constant updates but I have to shut the television off. Does anyone else feel the same?
    Yes!!! I don't even turn on my television during work hours anymore and I am someone who needs background noise. And our Governor in Virginia is painful to watch - this is not a political statement - all of my friends on both sides agree - he is a horrible public speaker. In our area we get news, then Virginia updates, then Maryland Governor updates, then DC Mayor updates, then whatever county representative who currently disagrees with the governor of their state. It's exhausting and I am trying to tune it out.

I am very active on social media - I have used the snooze and block feature more regularly. Some people are just relentless.

My big pet peeve - I've been seeing way too many stories of people complaining to staff at businesses. These are the workers, they have no control, you are barking up the wrong tree!!
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t imagine complaining to any workers during this. Now is not the time. There are so many people out there willing to work so those of us who need to stay at home, can. The only thing we should be saying is THANK YOU!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Banks here still have the lobbies closed. One even has the drive up closed. I went to the garden center to get flowers to plant. Everyone but one worker was masked, but pickings were slim. I guess they didn't plant as much as they usually plant, but I got what I needed. I also stopped at the dry cleaner to get curtains hemmed and they said it has been very slow.

Yes, I am tired of hearing about the virus on the news, and the all the commericals related to it, including the stay at home, we are in this together, all the companies and what they are doing.

Tracy, I have snoozes and unfriended so many people on FB because they are just stupid, ignorant, and circulating false information.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of our car clubs supports the veteran's home in our town(the largest of the three of the NJ veteran's homes). We have our meeting there and put on two large shows there. Our club and another one that we work with arranged to have a parade through the parking areas on Saturday for the residents. Sadly, it there is 80% chance of rain. I am hoping we can do it on Sunday or Monday instead-it'll be up the police department. This weekend is usually the Greek Festival here-it's 4 days of food, music, rides, etc. We usually go at least two of the evening for dinner. We love going for the food and we always see friends there for the activities or working the event. I am really going to miss that this year. It is the church's largest source of income. I feel so bad for them. I told Stu we need to do take out from the Greek restaurant instead, but it won't be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't watch the news any more either. I listen to the news radio on my drive home from work. If nothing new on that, I don't turn it on when I get home.

0 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pegmeister, and everyone else,

Both here in Canada and in the US I think a certain amount of COVID-fatigue has set in. Or more precisely, COVID-reporting fatigue.

We too get a couple of updates daily; the Prime Minister just after 10:00, then the provincial government health officials at 1:00. You're right Pegmeister, it has become exhausting to listen to this every day.

If we must listen to someone, let it be the Chief Medical Officer for your state or province. (You know, the people who actually know something about this.) When the politicians come on, change the channel. That's what we do.

Our province is coming to the end of its phase 1 re-opening. We start phase 2 in a week, which includes inside dining, gyms, estheticians, and other up-close types of businesses.

We have been told, and I am sure similar provisions are in place in the USA, that if there is any uptick in COVID-19 cases, lockdown measures will be re-instated quickly and with little warning.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Yes!!! I don't even turn on my television during work hours anymore and I am someone who needs background noise. And our Governor in Virginia is painful to watch - this is not a political statement - all of my friends on both sides agree - he is a horrible public speaker.
    Man ain't that the truth.... and he's a doctor but acts so clueless regarding the medical side of things. Thank goodness he can't run again.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn, it seems as this type of reporting is the norm everywhere. I have been shutting off the television and picking up my kindle. Fortunately, our weather is starting to get a bit warmer. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 80 so I am very much looking forward to spending the day in the backyard.

We are anxiously awaiting Phase 2 but are still a few weeks away. You will have to post your experience, especially any restaurant dine-in meals, and let us know what you think.

0 0