This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 631

Thread: Corona Virus effects in your hometown.

  1. #451
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Posts
    496
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were out this morning and the whole feeling around shopping seems to have changed. The prevailing feeling seems to be, 'browsers not welcome here'. The little bit of pleasure from browsing that was part of the shopping experience has been completely sucked out of it. Get in, get whatever you need, pay for it and get back in your car.

    Just one more observation:

    You could have been forgiven for thinking that Rolling Stones tickets just went on sale, judging from the size of the crowd (all practicing physical distancing), but no; it was customers waiting to get into IKEA. Didn't these folks have any furniture in their homes until now?

    Last thing. I agree, I do not understand why some people behave the way they do. Berating minimum wage cashiers or other employees is ignorant. Let's hope it's just the frustration of the past two months.


    Glenn
    0 0
     

  2. #452
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    We were out this morning and the whole feeling around shopping seems to have changed. The prevailing feeling seems to be, 'browsers not welcome here'. The little bit of pleasure from browsing that was part of the shopping experience has been completely sucked out of it. Get in, get whatever you need, pay for it and get back in your car.

    Just one more observation:

    You could have been forgiven for thinking that Rolling Stones tickets just went on sale, judging from the size of the crowd (all practicing physical distancing), but no; it was customers waiting to get into IKEA. Didn't these folks have any furniture in their homes until now?

    Last thing. I agree, I do not understand why some people behave the way they do. Berating minimum wage cashiers or other employees is ignorant. Let's hope it's just the frustration of the past two months.


    Glenn
    Yes, I kinda get that feeling and feel like that. I've done a lot more shopping online. I also think people are trying to improve things in their homes. I ordered new curtains and rods for our bedroom and bathroom, new rods for older son's room and new curtains for younger son's room. So much was out of stock. I also have stuff to return to Kohls, but they suggest waiting till they reopen rather than pay to send it back. If they can do curbside pick up, I think they should be able to do curbside returns-take items out of car, process the return, put receipt in car.

  3. #453
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.thedailyjournal.com/vide...ve/5253980002/

    They allowed our club to do a drive by at the Veteran's Home today. It was nice to see some of the residents outside and others were looking out of windows. Normally, we would have had a few cruises or shows by now. We hope we will be able to have our shows that we do at the Veteran's Home in August and September.
    Last edited by robin; 05-24-2020 at 06:45 PM.

  4. #454
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    We’ve had a few drive byes this week. One for a woman down the street for her 90th birthday and one really loud one with police cars, ambulances and fire trucks on the street in back. I assume it was for a veteran as the first vehicle had all sorts of flags waving. It’s nice to see and very uplifting.

    0 0
     

  5. #455
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today texted a friend/classmate of ours who has a company that does all sorts of things-repairs, power washing, property management, etc. as a side business and he works for a garage door company. He is always there when we need our garage doors fixed-we'd rather pay him than a company to fix our doors so the money goes into his pocket(he has 4 or 5 kids) and Mike has had several medical issues. Anyway, we need to get the house power washed and decided to ask him. He just texted back. He is in the hospital with Covid. Mike is the first person I know that actually has it.

    David's work partner has not been to work for about 3 or 4 weeks. He has beens sick. He was tested for Covid and it came back negative. He was sent for another Covid test on Friday. We are waiting to see if he is positive or not. David is fine and has not been around him. The man's wife is okay too.

  6. #456
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope David’s partner gets another negative result! I can imagine you’re feeling anxious about it. Sadly, we’re not out of the woods yet. When someone you know gets it I think we really feel the impact.

    0 0
     

  7. #457
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I hope David’s partner gets another negative result! I can imagine you’re feeling anxious about it. Sadly, we’re not out of the woods yet. When someone you know gets it I think we really feel the impact.
    Thanks. I hope so too. David has not been with him for 3 or 4 weeks, so I am sure he is okay, but they have had trouble replacing his partner and David has lost a lot of hours of work.

    Our friend who has it is a nice guy, but had many FB post about anti masks, the numbers of Covid patients isn't that bad, etc. Now he has it. I just hope he will be okay and let people know it is no joke.

  8. #458
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully when your friend is released he will wear a mask. It’s too bad he has to experience it first hand when he might possibly have avoided contacting the virus. It’s an awful lesson.

    0 1
     

  9. #459
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hair salons are opening here in Connecticut on Monday. I texted my hairdresser and she and her partners were ab!e to survive the last three months. I'm taking the plunge back into the world and made an appointment for June 13th. Figured that would give them some time to work out the kinks and my hair is so bad right now a couple of more weeks won't much matter.LOL!


    0 1
     

  10. #460
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGrn View Post
    Hair salons are opening here in Connecticut on Monday. I texted my hairdresser and she and her partners were ab!e to survive the last three months. I'm taking the plunge back into the world and made an appointment for June 13th. Figured that would give them some time to work out the kinks and my hair is so bad right now a couple of more weeks won't much matter.LOL!
    My hair salon opened on Tuesday. I called and they said they were rescheduling people who’s appointments were cancelled. Fair enough. They took my number and said they would get back to me once that scheduling was all set. So... I haven’t heard back. Wearing my hair in a bun and ordered some clips from amazon figuring I would just have to wait it out. One day later I ordered hair trimming scissors from amazon. I will soon be doing my first every DIY haircut.

    0 1
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •