This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Dec. 24-Jan. 10

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    colette.........rocky waters for me = seasickness. jumping overboard and drowning in those rocky seas has crossed my mind more than once.

happy new year all
    Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    Gorgeous photos! You are definitely a world traveler! My husband wants to go on a Viking cruise one day but I am not a “ship/out to sea” person. Would not deal well rocky waters well since I am not a swimmer. Do most of your Viking cruises travel in calm waters or no? Enjoy!!! So glad you are not allowing all the Covid scares to get in the way of your trip.

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    colette.........rocky waters for me = seasickness. jumping overboard and drowning in those rocky seas has crossed my mind more than once.

happy new year all
    LOL! & yikes! Me too! Happy and healthy new year to all of my friends on this forum. Wish you all the very best!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious where you will be tomorrow? How will you be celebrating NewYears Eve?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we did a tour on the Panama Canal Railway starting Colon. It was originally built before the canal for the same purpose-transfer of goods from one ocean to another, specifically gold from the gold rush. Without the use of the railway, the canal could not have been built. It parallels the canal and we could see the canal a little from the train, but got beautiful views of the lake. Once in Panama City, we boarded the bus for a driving tour of Panama City. The newest area is very modern with beautiful high rise buildings, but in the older area, it is not very nice looking. We had lunch at a resort and reboarded the bus for more touring and then headed back to Colon on the bus. I took lots of pictures, but I have to go through them before uploading them. The WiFi has been difficult this afternoon.

Tomorrow we transit the canal! I am not sure if we will still be in the canal for NYE or in the Pacific. We have not received that info yet. More later.

Post Thanks / Like
    The canal, locks and lake are so interesting! We are currently in the lake, which is stunningly beautiful. We will be at the second set of locks soon and will be in the Pacific by dinner. I took lots of pictures and video and learned a lot the past two days. I was taught long ago the locks were necessary because one ocean was deeper than the other. That is wrong.

Building the canal required a huge amount of excavation. If they dug a canal straight through it would cause salt water to get into the ecosystem and would have required an enormous amount more of excavation. They flooded a valley by damming up a freshwater river, creating the lake. Since they did not do the excavation, it means the lake is higher than the rest of the canal. This is why the locks are required. Coming into the canal from the Atlantic side, there is a series of three locks, each one raising up the ship-you move directly from one lock into the next and then you move into the beautiful lake. While in the locks, "mules"-machines driven on a track and tied by rope to the ship keep it centered in the locks. There were two in the front on each side and one in the back for a total of three. The lake is beautiful. The islands in the lake are actually tops of hills or mountains. We saw tons of ships-lots of tankers, a car carrying ship, and cargo. There was one tanker that actually had 4 large round tanks. Once you leave the lake you go through one single lock, then further down a double lock, each one lowering you down to sea level. We entered the canal around 730 and exited around 445. I dozed off between the last locks since we were up early to get a good spot.

I am uploading a ton of pictures from the past two days and video entering and being in the first lock. Its taking forever because the internet sucked all day while we were in the canal. I think because people were upload so many videos and pictures and others were live with people at home. Some may not make sense, but I was trying to show the lowering and raising of the water. The ones I took at breakfast really illustrate it if you look at where the railing is compared to the lighthouse.

I notice I sleep really well when the ship is moving-like a baby in a cradle I guess.

Tomorrow is a day at sea.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOVE the photos!!
    I was not particularly excited about our upcoming canal cruise, but your photos have helped!!!
    Paul says THANK YOU he loves them too.

Thanks so much for sharing

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    LOVE the photos!!
    I was not particularly excited about our upcoming canal cruise, but your photos have helped!!!
    Paul says THANK YOU he loves them too.

Thanks so much for sharing
    I am glad I helped. We really enjoyed it.

Our ship transited all the way through to the Pacific. They said the cost for our ship was about $100,000. It is based on the number of passengers, size, etc. Cargo and tankers are based on what they are carrying, value, size, etc. We were told that a car ships hold about 10,000 cars and it costs about $750,000 for one of those to go through. I had taken a picture of one of those,but it was so close to ours, you couldn't tell what it was.
    Last edited by robin; 01-01-2022 at 08:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all of the photos. It's interesting to experience things through them that we will never see on our own.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Robin, I also thank you for your photos. You are very good at it. Happy New Year
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    NYE was fun! They opened the roof on the pool deck and replaced all the pool chairs with tables and chairs. They had a guitar player and then the band playing. People were dancing. Hats, noise makers and champagne or whatever else you wanted to drink. A couple that were old enough to be our parents sat with us for about 90 minutes(the music was not their taste after awhile). Second marriage for both of them. The funny thing was she want to the same college as my son's gf and her first husband went to the same college as our son-probably 50 or 60 years later. Just before midnight, they put NY on the big screen for the count down. It was a lot of fun. Stu even stayed awake and didn't complain about his back which was bothering him.

Yesterday was a quiet day for us. Stu's back was really bothering him and we spent a good part of the day in our room. We went to eat and walked, but really didn't do much else. He slept a good part of the afternoon. I did get some laundry done. It's so nice they have free washers and dryers and detergent. People are really good about not hogging the machines and getting their things out in a reasonable time so others can use them. They also provide irons and ironing boards in the laundry room to use in the laundry room.

Today we were in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Our guide to our Jungle Boat and Crocodile excursion was excellent. We learned alot about the country. We took a bus to a place where we boarded boats and sailed up and down the Tarcoles River. We saw crocodiles of various sizes and tons of birds. It was beautiful day and we really enjoyed the time. It was the last day of vacation for many of the locals and the beaches we passed on the bus were very busy. Stu and I opted not to walk back into town after returning to the ship. It was very busy with beach goers and I didn't really want to walk around because of Covid with that many people. We got our steps in, hung out at one of the pools before cleaning up for dinner. Tonight we had reservations at the Italian restaurant. It was pretty good(we are spoiled at home with great Italian restaurants). We stopped to talk to the cruise expert about the cruise we booked in 2023 because I saw online that there is a new promo out and I wanted to see if we could get the $400 in savings-sounds like we can. We are back in the room as Stu has some work to do and I want to go through the pictures from the past few days and upload them.

The next 4 days will be sea days. Tomorrow was supposed to be Leon, Nicaragua, but that stop was cancelled about a week before we left home. I have lots to do-work on our summer trip, relax, read, relax, do some laundry, relax and maybe take in a lecture or attend an event. I do have a massage scheduled on Tuesday, maybe I'll add something else.