This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dominican Republic Resort Issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyg56 View Post
    My nieces friend and coworker just lost her aunt and uncle in the DR. They died in their room. Debbie shared some of the family's reactions, and needless to say, Deb told me they would never go there again. This "natural" causes explanation makes no sense to them. They were not the healthiest people, but who can believe both died at the same time while on vacation, and it was not suspicious?
    That is so sad, please offer our condolences.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the condolences. Debbie was so sad for her friend. Deb is a detective and her friend also a trooper and said the explanation would not stand here.

I am not a traveler, and to be honest the only pleases outside of the US I have been to are Canada and Aruba, and now there is almost zero possibility I woudl expand my horizons to visit DR. It is so sad that these islands that really need the tourists to assist their economy have this happening now.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyg56 View Post
    My nieces friend and coworker just lost her aunt and uncle in the DR. They died in their room. Debbie shared some of the family's reactions, and needless to say, Deb told me they would never go there again. This "natural" causes explanation makes no sense to them. They were not the healthiest people, but who can believe both died at the same time while on vacation, and it was not suspicious?
    Wow that is so sad and suspicious! My condolences. I really hope the FBI finds out what is going on.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother is waiting to hear back from cheapcarrib.com which is who he booked the DR trip thru. They have a back log of calls and emails from customers wanting to cancel their DR trip. Since the trip was booked for October they told him he was not a priority and they were taking care first of customers who have trips coming up soon. It doesn't have to be all inclusive and they were only going for 4 nights. I don't know why my brother didn't just use one of the time shares and book them to Aruba in the first place. He had a pending request to Maryland which he canceled and so that week was given back and guess what, it expires Oct 30 of this year so perfect for their trip. He could do a 7 night exchange even though they are going for 4 nights. Better than not using the week at all and letting it expire.

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the DR is so much less expensive than AUA and other Caribbean Islands.
    that is probably why your family members were not booked to AUA in the first place.
    the DR gave way more bang for the buck.

we have a lot of neighbors that hop on last minute cruises for short $, long weekends to the Bahamas for short $ and week long AI Dominican Republic vacations for short $. Aruba has never been a popular place with spring breakers due to pricing. DR has always had very affordable (for many) prices and the beautiful beaches make it very popular. I do know that many are cancelling and I cannot say that I blame them.
    I got an ad today on my email for a week long stay in the DR, @ a well known and popular resort.........including air from Orlando or Miami for $689.
    These kind of deals are hard to pass up and Aruba and other Caribbean islands cannot compete.

I too hope that the investigators find the cause, and if it is criminal, I hope those criminals are prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    My brother is waiting to hear back from cheapcarrib.com which is who he booked the DR trip thru. They have a back log of calls and emails from customers wanting to cancel their DR trip. Since the trip was booked for October they told him he was not a priority and they were taking care first of customers who have trips coming up soon. It doesn't have to be all inclusive and they were only going for 4 nights. I don't know why my brother didn't just use one of the time shares and book them to Aruba in the first place. He had a pending request to Maryland which he canceled and so that week was given back and guess what, it expires Oct 30 of this year so perfect for their trip. He could do a 7 night exchange even though they are going for 4 nights. Better than not using the week at all and letting it expire.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not trust anything the DR says about this or any other matter that will effect tourists....they are not to be trusted IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    We exchanged our timeshare for one in Puerto Plata maybe 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't safe to leave the resort area alone or to rent a car. The food at the AI was awful. The water was shut off one day for part of the day. Two of us had intestinal issue that day. It was not pleasant. We said we'd never go back.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    We exchanged our timeshare for one in Puerto Plata maybe 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't safe to leave the resort area alone or to rent a car. The food at the AI was awful. The water was shut off one day for part of the day. Two of us had intestinal issue that day. It was not pleasant. We said we'd never go back.
    I also exchanged timeshare to Puerto Plata 10 years ago. Although I did not get sick (thank goodness), there was a lot of plus and minuses on this trip. The good was that I met this Dutch Man who owned an excursion company and we booked a few tours with him without issues. He took us to some very gorgeous beaches an area where part of blue lagoon movie was filmed the sink hole i think they call it or a round area with water and water falls. I tour the rum factory, some capital cities and felt safe with him. He had been living in the island for 20 years and so he gave me a lot of tips and safety lectures.

The bad. At the airport as you exit, someone goes around and grabs your luggage to walk you outside and hail you a cab and expect you to pay them $20. I gave him $5. There were power outages every day and several times a day sometimes. A lot of poor kids in the streets begging for money. Going home at security check point there was this Dominican Custom Agent there with an immigration officer. They took my boom box apart, asked me for receipt and I told them I came with it. Then when they cleared me, they suggested I give the security guys a few bucks as tip gesture because they don't make much. I was offended but I wanted to get to my gate so badly, I had a bunch of singles and I gave 3 or 4 people like $2 each and left vowing to never return...

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    I would not trust anything the DR says about this or any other matter that will effect tourists....they are not to be trusted IMO.
    I think all these cases are related to the specific resorts. We were staying multiple times in Iberostar ( in Punta Cana and La Romana) and nobody ever feel sick. The food was always fresh and delicious. We did not drink tap water, but the rest was super, until we discovered Aruba. -