This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ida

Post Thanks / Like

Ida

It looks like Hurricane Ida is making a beeline right for NOLA as a cat 4 arriving on the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. I hope everyone in her path is safe.

My cousin, her husband and oldest son were in NOLA when Katrina hit. Her son was supposed to start his freshman year at Tulane. They told the kids to leave your stuff in the dorm and get out. The hotel they were staying in was located in the Garden District and closed. They could not get gas or flights. They went to the Ritz and rode out the storm in the hallways. After the storm passed, the hotel told everyone to let the water out the the bathtubs(everyone had to fill their tubs) because the storm was over. Then the levees broke. The hotel had little power and little food and water. It was awful. My cousin's hubby was a reporter for a Philly news radio station and would call in reports, and their families would tune in to know what was happening. After a few days, they were led through high water, suitcases carried above their heads, to buses that took them to Baton Rouge. Their rental car was left on the top parking deck. Once in Baton Rouge, there were no flights, however; the parent company of the radio station was able to arrange tickets home. He got an award for his reporting(he was supposed to be on vacation). I can't imagine what they are now thinking. She had a very difficult time for awhile after during bad weather.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I was supposed to fly to Mississippi tomorrow evening. Thankfully the job has been postponed. I went there right after Katrina. The hotel room carpet was still damp and the place was wrecked.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Ida is looking like a pretty mean storm at the moment. I'm hoping it doesn't bring too much devastation.
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It is getting close to a cat. 5.

My son is an EMT doing transport, however; the company which he is employed is a national company and has a contract with FEMA. He has a "go bag" in case they need people to help in disaster areas. I don't think he'd get to go because they are so short staffed right now, but I know he'd want to go.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Ida-241082961_10221563797299241_8956338264760692596_n-jpg

We live in the orange area. I don't think I have ever seen this type of prediction for us. I told my son to fill up with gas just in case we have widespread power outages like we did in 2012 from a derecho. They are predicting straight line winds, too. I will have everybody home tomorrow. Crazy weather from Ida.

0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you all make out okay, Robin. I’m in Essex County and hoping no
    downed wires and power outages.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Ida-241082961_10221563797299241_8956338264760692596_n-jpg

We live in the orange area. I don't think I have ever seen this type of prediction for us. I told my son to fill up with gas just in case we have widespread power outages like we did in 2012 from a derecho. They are predicting straight line winds, too. I will have everybody home tomorrow. Crazy weather from Ida.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post
    I hope you all make out okay, Robin. I’m in Essex County and hoping no
    downed wires and power outages.
    They have shifted everything, and now the area for the severe weather is larger and our expected rain a little less.

Ida-screen-shot-2021-09-01-8-05-38-am-jpg

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I was supposed to pick up family at the train station in Philadelphia around 8 pm but last week they changed it to 11 am. I am so glad they did. There were multiple tornado warnings and tornados. One did a lot damage-destroyed homes- about 30 miles from here around the time I would have left for the train station-while I would have not been going through the down that sustained damage, I would have been very close. My cousin who lives just north of Philly, spent the evening in her basement. Her house is fine, but a tornado ripped through her area and left damage not far from her home. Lots of flooding in Philadelphia and the surrounding communities. I am so grateful that the storm shifted and I had everyone home last night. We just had pouring rain and some thunder. Praying for those who lost their homes and who are in the areas that are flooded and are predicted to flood.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Robin, I was thinking of you last night when I heard about the tornado warnings. Thankful that you all were able to stay safe. The weather has really been challenging this summer!!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Ida-241038074_10107147371207714_8441980617736770056_n-jpg

I just learned that this destroyed home in belongs to a former coworker of mine. I worked with her mom and her. Everyone is fine. She is a teacher and today is the first day for teachers to report.

0 0