This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Lily

Is our 8 month shih tzu.
    we started her on try outs/practice runs at the kennel because that is where she will be for the 2 weeks that we are in aruba.
    It is a cluster mess.
    The excitement of other dogs and the dogs barking cause her to bark excessively and that in turn cause her to inflame her trachea and soft palate and that makes her make horrible honking sounds repeatedly. See reverse sneezing on you tube. When it happens it is horrible and scary.

Our late Nov trip is probably going to be cancelled as we have no other options for Lily care.

We r disappointed.
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! So sorry things aren't working out for the pup at the kennel.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no. Is there another option for a kennel? Or possibly someone who can come into your house to take care of Lily? Our friends do that but they have 2 dogs so they amuse each other when no one is there. Hoping it works out for you. Poor Lily!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! Could a neighbor possibly dog sit Lily to keep her out of the kennel? That might eliminate some of the stress for her and you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that’s not good. Could you ask the vet about puppy Valium? Or have you tried calming chews like Nutri-Vet’s Pet-Ease?

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    sadly, no to our neighbors/friends here. we do have friends from here that will look in on the cats , shovel litter and feed them. there are a few other friends here and they have plans for thanksgiving and cannot take lily.

we have to go to the vet again and he said there may be a medication like an antihistamine but that won't fix the issue if it is caused by her barking due to hearing all the others bark. it would work if there is an allergy issue.

we spoke to the ladies that run the kennel and they said that the dogs bark in excitement.
    I know when Lily goes there she is excited, loves it and is a barking wiggly lunatic.
    it is so frustrating as she loves it there.

thanks all for the suggestions and kind words.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any kennels in your area that separate the dogs out by age, disposition etc.? The place we take Maddy to has 3 separate areas for seniors, active and small dogs. They will also make special arrangements for dogs that need to be away from other dogs. That of course, costs more. I really hate to hear that you will need to cancel your trip. Does LaCabana allow pets? I know some resorts do. Lilly is probably small enough to fit in a carrier under your seat.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, this kennel does separate the dogs by size and by disposition. at the kennel Lily does have a few good playmates..other small dogs and a large golden retriever who cannot be separated from his toy poodle sister. bottom line is that Lily who is not much of a barker at home, is a barking fool at the kennel. they are not in cages, but are in little individual rooms about 6x6. each room has their bed, food, water and a tv.

Belle NEVER had an issue at this kennel because she was deaf.

no pets at lacabana.
    lily is 7lbs and can fit in my purse as well as the underseat carrier.
    she is smaller than a full grown cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Are there any kennels in your area that separate the dogs out by age, disposition etc.? The place we take Maddy to has 3 separate areas for seniors, active and small dogs. They will also make special arrangements for dogs that need to be away from other dogs. That of course, costs more. I really hate to hear that you will need to cancel your trip. Does LaCabana allow pets? I know some resorts do. Lilly is probably small enough to fit in a carrier under your seat.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes, this kennel does separate the dogs by size and by disposition. at the kennel Lily does have a few good playmates..other small dogs and a large golden retriever who cannot be separated from his toy poodle sister. bottom line is that Lily who is not much of a barker at home, is a barking fool at the kennel. they are not in cages, but are in little individual rooms about 6x6. each room has their bed, food, water and a tv.

Belle NEVER had an issue at this kennel because she was deaf.

no pets at lacabana.
    lily is 7lbs and can fit in my purse as well as the underseat carrier.
    she is smaller than a full grown cat.
    Maybe if you can find a renter for LaCabana, you could find other accommodations that are pet friendly? I would think some of the houses are desperate for rental income.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    mentioned that to Paul and he said......"she is not going to aruba"

(at least Jon says "we'll see)

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Maybe if you can find a renter for LaCabana, you could find other accommodations that are pet friendly? I would think some of the houses are desperate for rental income.
    0 3