This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: luggage woes

Post Thanks / Like

luggage woes

Our older son Paul and gf Ana spent almost 8 weeks this summer traveling before she starts grad school, Bali, Switzerland, Poland, Greece and Croatia. They took many flights in the countries and between the countries and had several legs on some of the flights and they did not have a luggage problem until they came home on Wednesday.

On Wednesday they flew from Dubrovnik to Gatwick to Chicago. The flight from Dubrovnik to Gatwick was delayed and their luggage did not make it on to their plane. They assured them their luggage would be on the next flight. Paul calls Thursday and the luggage is still in London. Friday they say it is on the plane, but nothing arrives at their new apartment(they moved out of their DC apartment in July, moved all their stuff into a storage unit for two months in Evanston, Ill and moved in their new place on Thursday) and they have a hard time getting in touch with anyone from the airline(Norwegian). Saturday morning, he did not know where the luggage was or did the airline. He calls us Saturday night and said he may have to hang up if the airline calls, which they did twice. As of last night, the luggage made it to the US but to LA instead of Chicago. Since the airline does not run between LA and ORD, they put the luggage back onto a plane going back to London and on Monday(they fly to ORD three times a week) they claim it will go on the plane to Chicago. Meanwhile, Paul has to fly out to Nashville today to present at a conference and his clothes are in London. Ana is so upset because she needs stuff that is in her suitcase that was starting to fall apart at the end of the trip. Paul keeps saying that it'll be fine and I can't write what she is saying. Stu asked if their luggage was earning air miles. I feel so bad for them.

0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    And that is why i use space travel bags and carry on only. That happened to me from Tahiti which was strange since it was the only flight out that day, got it a week later. Cured me of checking bags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, that is awful! I do hope that, at the very least, the airline compensates them!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    That's terrible, but it happens especially using airlines not associated with the US3 or ME3. Did they have any travel insurance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Our older son Paul and gf Ana spent almost 8 weeks this summer traveling before she starts grad school, Bali, Switzerland, Poland, Greece and Croatia. They took many flights in the countries and between the countries and had several legs on some of the flights and they did not have a luggage problem until they came home on Wednesday.

On Wednesday they flew from Dubrovnik to Gatwick to Chicago. The flight from Dubrovnik to Gatwick was delayed and their luggage did not make it on to their plane. They assured them their luggage would be on the next flight. Paul calls Thursday and the luggage is still in London. Friday they say it is on the plane, but nothing arrives at their new apartment(they moved out of their DC apartment in July, moved all their stuff into a storage unit for two months in Evanston, Ill and moved in their new place on Thursday) and they have a hard time getting in touch with anyone from the airline(Norwegian). Saturday morning, he did not know where the luggage was or did the airline. He calls us Saturday night and said he may have to hang up if the airline calls, which they did twice. As of last night, the luggage made it to the US but to LA instead of Chicago. Since the airline does not run between LA and ORD, they put the luggage back onto a plane going back to London and on Monday(they fly to ORD three times a week) they claim it will go on the plane to Chicago. Meanwhile, Paul has to fly out to Nashville today to present at a conference and his clothes are in London. Ana is so upset because she needs stuff that is in her suitcase that was starting to fall apart at the end of the trip. Paul keeps saying that it'll be fine and I can't write what she is saying. Stu asked if their luggage was earning air miles. I feel so bad for them.
    Robin, I can totally relate as someone who has done more than my fair share of flying. My absolute worse situation with airlines was when PanAm was in existence. I was in New Zealand on business and need ed to return to Noth America urgently. I had my daughters with me and arrangements were made for them to stay a bit longer and return as UMs ( Unaccompanied Minors), as the grandparents wanted to spend more time with them. The UM program seemed safe and we had used it before. Well, as fate would have it, the kids disappeared out of the system as they were put on another flight and routed via Fiji, instead of Hawai to LA then onwards. They disappeared into the system. PanAm had no idea where they were. They sent them via Air South Pacific (then Fiji Air) For 36 hours worried phone calls were made between various countries. At midnight on Saturday, I got a call from American Airlines to tell me they had 2 little girls in Chicago with tickets to me here in Canada. While that was a relief, I to this day have no idea where they traveled. American made arrangements and contacted appropriate authorities. At 7:00am I was able to meet my girls at Canadian Customs.

Now, this was years ago but shows that things can and do go wrong. I asked the girls, who were very young whether they knew where they went. They had no idea, except for remembering being left in LA. We think with American.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    That's terrible, but it happens especially using airlines not associated with the US3 or ME3. Did they have any travel insurance?
    What is US# and ME3?

They have insurance through their credit card.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Robin, I can totally relate as someone who has done more than my fair share of flying. My absolute worse situation with airlines was when PanAm was in existence. I was in New Zealand on business and need ed to return to Noth America urgently. I had my daughters with me and arrangements were made for them to stay a bit longer and return as UMs ( Unaccompanied Minors), as the grandparents wanted to spend more time with them. The UM program seemed safe and we had used it before. Well, as fate would have it, the kids disappeared out of the system as they were put on another flight and routed via Fiji, instead of Hawai to LA then onwards. They disappeared into the system. PanAm had no idea where they were. They sent them via Air South Pacific (then Fiji Air) For 36 hours worried phone calls were made between various countries. At midnight on Saturday, I got a call from American Airlines to tell me they had 2 little girls in Chicago with tickets to me here in Canada. While that was a relief, I to this day have no idea where they traveled. American made arrangements and contacted appropriate authorities. At 7:00am I was able to meet my girls at Canadian Customs.

Now, this was years ago but shows that things can and do go wrong. I asked the girls, who were very young whether they knew where they went. They had no idea, except for remembering being left in LA. We think with American.
    Wow, I'd be sick with worry. I could not even imagine going through that as a parent.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    What is US# and ME3?

They have insurance through their credit card.
    US3 American, Delta and United... ME3 Etihad, Emirates and Qatar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    US3 American, Delta and United... ME3 Etihad, Emirates and Qatar.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    They finally had their luggage delivered to their apartment around midnight-5+ days later than they arrived home.

0 0