This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Aruba, but Turks and Caicos 12/14-21

Post Thanks / Like

Not Aruba, but Turks and Caicos 12/14-21

Last night we checked into one of the several hotels we use by the airport. It's usually quiet, but this time it was busy(and expensive) due to the Army/Navy game today. We left the hotel on the 6:30 shuttle rather than the 7 because we had to deal with the fact that DH booked this flight and chose the wrong month from the menu and made me a month younger than I am. I caught the error around Thanksgiving but the only way to change it was at the airport. Even with the extra time it took to check in manually, we still were in the lounge and seated by 7:05 which is very impressive for PHL and AA. It's going to be a very full flight as they tried several times to get us to take a different flight. Meanwhile, my son's gf should her way to the condo in Aruba and will be met by our son tomorrow night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t wait to hear more. Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to this report. I'm interested in water temps this time of year and places to eat. Will you have a car rental? Where are you staying?
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    love love love T+C

enjoy and I cannot wait to hear all about your travels.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t wait to hear/read this report. I’ve been eyeing TC for a while!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We had reservations to stay at the Regent Palms many years ago but right before we were scheduled to arrive there was a strike by the airport workers so we changed our trip and went back to Aruba of course. Looking forward to reading some more trip reports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our flight was uneventful, but very full. I was surprised how many kids were on the flight. Schools around us are open for another week before Christmas break, and since it is a direct flight from PHL, we did notice that people flew to Philly to come get here. The airport is very small and you disembark the plane onto ramps to the tarmac. It took 20 minutes to get through customs as a large flight came in right before us. Our luggage was already off of the belt and waiting for us. We picked up the car at the airport and made our way to the place we are staying. It is not on the beach, but it is small, fairly new(2010) and very quiet. The queen size bed is a challenge, but we will survive. I almost slept on the sofa the first night because my tendonitis was so bad, but I finally got comfortable. The kitchen is entirely stainless steel(yes the cabinets) but not the countertops which is wood. There are high wooden ceilings and a private balcony. We had dinner at a bar up the road. My margarita was great and I think my burger was too, but like I said my margarita was great. I shared my burger with a cat who sat down beside me-they said she came with the place and loves burgers.

On Sunday, we had breakfast at a restaurant overlooking the beach and then headed to where the resort had comfortable chairs and umbrellas, but no bathrooms. The water was beautiful-warm, clear and inviting. Tour come right up on the beach and try to see if you want to go on a tour or parasailing. They don't harass you though. the Very quiet and relaxing, but I still would rather be in Aruba. Dinner was at a place at hotel. Stu had read about a dessert that was their speciality-beignets with nutella and ice cream and mixed berries, so we went for dinner. It was supposed to be on the water, but it was closed for a private event(the people were really dressed up for the banquet) so they were set up in a different area. There was music and a man playing the flute along with the recorded music. Dinner was good-I had chicken and Stu had fish. The dessert was great.

Today we had breakfast in the room and drove around exploring the island. The road other than the main roads leave a lot to be desired. I am glad we have a CRV. There are some really pretty areas with mansions on the beaches and many being built. There are a lot of really remote areas and lots of speed bumps in more populated areas they call settlements. There were not many access points to those beaches so we just drove around and had lunch at a place that was on Chalk Sound National Park. The views were nice and the food good.

We came back and rested before going to dinner at Seven for our anniversary. The food and service were impeccable. They even put little clip on lights on the menus so you can see. They even brought me a pocketbook hanger for my pocketbook.

We spent part of yesterday and today trying to help the kids who just arrived at the condo in Aruba. There were internet issues and we think from the condo being empty for 4+ weeks, it smelled mildewy. Prestige did come and take care of things, but instead of calling Prestige, they were contacting us. ugh.

Our car this week is a Honda CRV from Japan. It has a gps that shows a map of Japan, not Providenciales Turks and Cacios, with a checkered flag, the buttons for the gps are in Japanese and it talks to us in Japanese whenever it wants. We don't know how to get it to stop talking to us and have no idea what it is saying.

Tomorrow we are doing an all day tour of the islands.

I miss Aruba.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think T and C beaches are as gorgeous if not moreso than Aruba's beaches.

T and C is kind of what Aruba was 30+ yrs ago.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you find that T&C is a little more formal than Aruba? In Aruba we never feel out of place in shorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is hilarious. The one we purchased in Aruba is exactly the same, everything in the radio is in Japanese and it talks to you everytime the car is started.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Our flight was uneventful, but very full. I was surprised how many kids were on the flight. Schools around us are open for another week before Christmas break, and since it is a direct flight from PHL, we did notice that people flew to Philly to come get here. The airport is very small and you disembark the plane onto ramps to the tarmac. It took 20 minutes to get through customs as a large flight came in right before us. Our luggage was already off of the belt and waiting for us. We picked up the car at the airport and made our way to the place we are staying. It is not on the beach, but it is small, fairly new(2010) and very quiet. The queen size bed is a challenge, but we will survive. I almost slept on the sofa the first night because my tendonitis was so bad, but I finally got comfortable. The kitchen is entirely stainless steel(yes the cabinets) but not the countertops which is wood. There are high wooden ceilings and a private balcony. We had dinner at a bar up the road. My margarita was great and I think my burger was too, but like I said my margarita was great. I shared my burger with a cat who sat down beside me-they said she came with the place and loves burgers.

On Sunday, we had breakfast at a restaurant overlooking the beach and then headed to where the resort had comfortable chairs and umbrellas, but no bathrooms. The water was beautiful-warm, clear and inviting. Tour come right up on the beach and try to see if you want to go on a tour or parasailing. They don't harass you though. the Very quiet and relaxing, but I still would rather be in Aruba. Dinner was at a place at hotel. Stu had read about a dessert that was their speciality-beignets with nutella and ice cream and mixed berries, so we went for dinner. It was supposed to be on the water, but it was closed for a private event(the people were really dressed up for the banquet) so they were set up in a different area. There was music and a man playing the flute along with the recorded music. Dinner was good-I had chicken and Stu had fish. The dessert was great.

Today we had breakfast in the room and drove around exploring the island. The road other than the main roads leave a lot to be desired. I am glad we have a CRV. There are some really pretty areas with mansions on the beaches and many being built. There are a lot of really remote areas and lots of speed bumps in more populated areas they call settlements. There were not many access points to those beaches so we just drove around and had lunch at a place that was on Chalk Sound National Park. The views were nice and the food good.

We came back and rested before going to dinner at Seven for our anniversary. The food and service were impeccable. They even put little clip on lights on the menus so you can see. They even brought me a pocketbook hanger for my pocketbook.

We spent part of yesterday and today trying to help the kids who just arrived at the condo in Aruba. There were internet issues and we think from the condo being empty for 4+ weeks, it smelled mildewy. Prestige did come and take care of things, but instead of calling Prestige, they were contacting us. ugh.

Our car this week is a Honda CRV from Japan. It has a gps that shows a map of Japan, not Providenciales Turks and Cacios, with a checkered flag, the buttons for the gps are in Japanese and it talks to us in Japanese whenever it wants. We don't know how to get it to stop talking to us and have no idea what it is saying.

Tomorrow we are doing an all day tour of the islands.

I miss Aruba.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0