This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Not as (food) tolerant as I used to be. How about you?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Not as (food) tolerant as I used to be. How about you?

    Good afternoon everyone,

    The impetus for this thread is the thread in the Aruba-General category about Hot Delight Hot Sauces in Aruba. As this thread is more general, I put it here.

    There was a time when I could splash hot sauce on just about anything. And as for hot wings I loved the nose-running, eye-watering, lip-burning wings.

    I don't know if it's a leftover from my bout of pancreatic cancer or just an age thing (I'm 67) but I can't eat spicy food the way I used to. I just can't tolerate the heat anymore. How about you?


    Glenn
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m a big fan of anything spicy/hot. My preference with hot sauce is more towards medium heat although Tom will complain the medium is too hot. Always, always, always have hot sauce on my eggs in the morning. I add hot sauce to my chili and my burgers and my wings. Every few months I place an order with Mo Hotta Mo Betta for six or more bottles. What I’m trying to say is, my tolerance level hasn’t changed much.

    0 1
     

  3. #3
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool topic. When I first read the topic title I was thinking uh oh this topic might not go so well.
    I would have had to talk about my next door neighbors on either side of me of whom Paul and I are most intolerant.
    That would be a whole new thread.

    But it is about "food intolerance"
    -DEEP fried...........OMG a big NO.
    (I still indulge a few times a year in fried whole bellied clams)
    Air fried is now my go to for fry!

    -Coconut and any kind of fruit juice ........fire in my esophagus.

    -Red Wine.............Sweat.

    I think that my meal of choice would be baked scallops or chicken breast, baked potato or buttered noodles and an wedge salad.
    I have turned into my mother.

    I think it is an age thing with me.
    I am just a couple of years younger than you Glenn.





    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good afternoon everyone,

    The impetus for this thread is the thread in the Aruba-General category about Hot Delight Hot Sauces in Aruba. As this thread is more general, I put it here.

    There was a time when I could splash hot sauce on just about anything. And as for hot wings I loved the nose-running, eye-watering, lip-burning wings.

    I don't know if it's a leftover from my bout of pancreatic cancer or just an age thing (I'm 67) but I can't eat spicy food the way I used to. I just can't tolerate the heat anymore. How about you?


    Glenn



    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Cool topic. When I first read the topic title I was thinking uh oh this topic might not go so well.
    I would have had to talk about my next door neighbors on either side of me of whom Paul and I are most intolerant.
    That would be a whole new thread.

    But it is about "food intolerance"
    -DEEP fried...........OMG a big NO.
    (I still indulge a few times a year in fried whole bellied clams)
    Air fried is now my go to for fry!

    -Coconut and any kind of fruit juice ........fire in my esophagus.

    -Red Wine.............Sweat.

    I think that my meal of choice would be baked scallops or chicken breast, baked potato or buttered noodles and an wedge salad.
    I have turned into my mother.

    I think it is an age thing with me.
    I am just a couple of years younger than you Glenn.
    I don’t know if it’s an age thing as I’m older than both you, Paul and Glenn. This morning I had COCONUT French toast. At lunch I had RED wine with my steak and I took out SCALLOPS to deep fry later on. Tom has always said I must have a cast iron stomach.

    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member EDMLS1358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I don’t know if it’s an age thing as I’m older than both you, Paul and Glenn. This morning I had COCONUT French toast. At lunch I had RED wine with my steak and I took out SCALLOPS to deep fry later on. Tom has always said I must have a cast iron stomach.
    You people are making me hungry
    0 1
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    After some soul searching I realized there are some foods I can’t tolerate. Those would be eggs when the whites aren’t fully cooked; fat on meat and pork belly. It’s a texture issue. Those foods all make me gag!

    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    for the life of me I cannot stand to see people eat fat on beef.
    even a tiny amount.
    very intolerable.
    I do not like to even give a little to the dog.

    and those uncooked egg whites..... my brother used to call that "baby chicken pee"

    great topic for dinnertime huh? or in honor of Canada ... "EH?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    After some soul searching I realized there are some foods I can’t tolerate. Those would be eggs when the whites aren’t fully cooked; fat on meat and pork belly. It’s a texture issue. Those foods all make me gag!



    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member brady bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love my "hot sauce"
    Keep a small bottle in the med room hidden.. (lol)
    Love it on Stuff quahogs, Kale soup, chili, taco's and so on.
    When I was pregnant with my only child I craved spicy and hot sauce.. the spicy and hotter the better.
    Tell him that is where he got the red hair from..
    0 1
     

  9. #9
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me, it is not what I eat or drink, but rather how much. I like spicy and medium hot. Food bothers me less than alcohol. I do take pantoprazole daily. Peppers and onions are things that I have always had an issue eating, but moderation does work. I am "allergic or sensitive" to black beans. I don't get hives or have breathing issue, but I get fevers and colitis like symptoms and need steroids.

  10. #10
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    5,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I don’t know if it’s an age thing as I’m older than both you, Paul and Glenn. This morning I had COCONUT French toast. At lunch I had RED wine with my steak and I took out SCALLOPS to deep fry later on. Tom has always said I must have a cast iron stomach.
    ....and I'm older than you. No diet changes for me..... I love my Tabasco, Chinese hot mustard and hot peppers. I eat the same as I always have.... just not as much!
    0 1
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •