This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parliament has been dissolved

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Robin, but reading this I feel like a came in in the middle of the story....
    MinPres?
    Rutte?
    GOA?
    POR
    RED?

what exactly was the scandal that caused all this? Was the timing somehow manipulated by one of the politicians named for personal benefit!
    not sure I’m understanding this yet?
    Brian

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Arawak

I thought that there was no majority in this government.....equal MEP and POR.

Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    Absolutely normal for coalition governments to step down in our democracy. In Europe it happens all the time. Just a few months ago same happened in the Netherlands.

If the majority party in a coalition(in this case MEP), loses trust in its minority partner(POR), it's only natural in a parliamentary system to make the entire government step down and dissolve parliament. Our constitution gives our minister-president that power. It's also really great, because it puts the power back into the voters hand. In this case, a seizure of accounts tied to a coalition partner due to suspicious activity and an announcement of the Justice department of an investigation, is more than enough reason to say the coalition can't go forward. I expect nothing less as a voter.

Besides that, everything keeps functioning as usual. The same government and parliament remains in place and can push laws through that are already on the table(for example new covid election laws). For a tourist or average citizen, there isn't anything else you'd notice besides the initial news
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    thanks Arawak

I thought that there was no majority in this government.....equal MEP and POR.
    The government is formed by a party or parties that reach >50% of seats in parliament. In this case MEP had 9 seats and POR had 2. RED had 1. This is what I meant with majority/minority in this sense. Thus forming a coalition majority government with 12 out of 21 seats in parliament. It might be important to note that our elections are for parliament. We do not directly vote for ministerial positions or for the minister-president. Although it is generally accepted that the party with the most seats in a coalition gets the minister-president position.
    2 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info- thanks.

Absolutely normal for coalition governments to step down in our democracy. In Europe it happens all the time. Just a few months ago same happened in the Netherlands.

If the majority party in a coalition(in this case MEP), loses trust in its minority partner(POR), it's only natural in a parliamentary system to make the entire government step down and dissolve parliament. Our constitution gives our minister-president that power. It's also really great, because it puts the power back into the voters hand. In this case, a seizure of accounts tied to a coalition partner due to suspicious activity and an announcement of the Justice department of an investigation, is more than enough reason to say the coalition can't go forward. I expect nothing less as a voter.

Besides that, everything keeps functioning as usual. The same government and parliament remains in place and can push laws through that are already on the table(for example new covid election laws). For a tourist or average citizen, there isn't anything else you'd notice besides the initial news
    Trip 33 begins on July 15.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-pop Brian View Post
    This is unreal! How can this happen and no one here knows about it (other than reading it in this forum).
    We saw a police presence in the lobby of the Surf Club when we got back here tonight. That is very strange in and of itself.
    I will make some inquiries of locals tomorrow to see if I can find out any more info.
    This was announced in a press conference by the prime Minister.
    Anybody who follows the local news sites knew about it.

Police presence at Surf Club or anywhere else has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Owner at Azure Beach Residences

https://airbnb.com/h/aruba-oceanfront-luxury-condo
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Eventhough I know I won't enjoy this, I'll still bight. I'll summarize and correct some of her gossip.

Many readers guessed: MinPres borrowed a page out of Mark Rutte’s handbook, what a clever maneuver. She thought we wouldn’t catch it, but we did. Rutte resigned, was praised for assuming responsibility, and found redemption with very positive election results, gaining one seat, last week.
    Without going into too much specifics and making this unnecessarily long, Rutte was bashed all over the news and social media. In the debates as well. The opposite of praised. Mark Rutte’s VVD though, given the current political landscape in the Netherlands, is the only right of center party that hasn't completely lost its mind. All the Covid deniers voted FVD and the rest of the racist right wing voted for PVV. So, if you are right of center, you only have two options: VVD or CDA. CDA are Christian democrats. In NL more and more people are atheist or non practicing. So, CDA, once one of the largest parties, just dsn't appeal to voters anymore. In the end, only Rutte’s VVD remains.

Our three deaths were probably related to the festivities on March 18th.
    Again, more gossip with zero clue. ICU patients tend to stay long term in hospital. They get hospitilized around their 10th day after contracting the virus. Patients that end up in the ICU, stay there for weeks. So, with some simple math, you know that the chances that these 3 deaths were specifically tied to the 18th of March, is nonsense. It's not really nice to assume this when families, like many, mightve avoided March 18 altogether or had already contracted the virus by then.

With governing out of the way, GOA could start campaigning, and have more time to dedicate, in view of a lesser work burden.

Of course, GOA could stop whatever landspakket activity was planned for the upcoming months and just focus on the few measures already in motion.
    Like I mentioned above, both government and parliament keeps on working as normal until the change of government and parliament occurs. This announcement dsn't change that in the slightest. GOA can NOT stop the landspakket. The process keeps going as it has been.

If you recall, ousted minister Marisol Lopez Tromp warned us there is something fishy there, but she had no real proof, according to MinPres.
    Marisol, for those that don't know, is a politician that was a member of pretty much every important party of Aruba. She bounces party to party whenever something dsn't go her way. Involved in plenty iffy affairs of her own. At a certain point you have to ask yourself, are all parties bad? Because she was cozy with all of them and it's only when she gets pushback she leaves and just joins another party. In other words, not a person to trust on their word.

We knew it would happen.
    No, we did not. We are 6 months removed from the elections. The majority of the time has already been sat out. This line of "we knew it would happen" us a campaign line and gimmick of the two large parties, MEP and AVP. Because they both want a majority government in their own, they throw this line around that coalition governments are bad. They are not. Our democracy does not revolve around two parties with their own politically obsessed base. We also know what a single majority government can do, as we saw with the previous government of AVP that doubled our debt and couldn't understand the most basic principle of don't spend money you don't have. Which is the entire reason we needed so much help from the Netherlands during covid. We had a debt to gdp ratio of 45% before the majority AVP government. It ended with financial supervision and a debt of over 90%.

No thanks on single party rule.

Edit: it still became unnecessarily long
    5 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    this article pretty much spells it out .
    https://sxmgovernment.com/2021/03/30...ch-papiamentu/

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The Minister of Justice heads the party accused of embezzlement. Ironic...

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your thoughts!!!!

Eventhough I know I won't enjoy this, I'll still bight. I'll summarize and correct some of her gossip.

Without going into too much specifics and making this unnecessarily long, Rutte was bashed all over the news and social media. In the debates as well. The opposite of praised. Mark Rutte’s VVD though, given the current political landscape in the Netherlands, is the only right of center party that hasn't completely lost its mind. All the Covid deniers voted FVD and the rest of the racist right wing voted for PVV. So, if you are right of center, you only have two options: VVD or CDA. CDA are Christian democrats. In NL more and more people are atheist or non practicing. So, CDA, once one of the largest parties, just dsn't appeal to voters anymore. In the end, only Rutte’s VVD remains.

Again, more gossip with zero clue. ICU patients tend to stay long term in hospital. They get hospitilized around their 10th day after contracting the virus. Patients that end up in the ICU, stay there for weeks. So, with some simple math, you know that the chances that these 3 deaths were specifically tied to the 18th of March, is nonsense. It's not really nice to assume this when families, like many, mightve avoided March 18 altogether or had already contracted the virus by then.

Like I mentioned above, both government and parliament keeps on working as normal until the change of government and parliament occurs. This announcement dsn't change that in the slightest. GOA can NOT stop the landspakket. The process keeps going as it has been.

Marisol, for those that don't know, is a politician that was a member of pretty much every important party of Aruba. She bounces party to party whenever something dsn't go her way. Involved in plenty iffy affairs of her own. At a certain point you have to ask yourself, are all parties bad? Because she was cozy with all of them and it's only when she gets pushback she leaves and just joins another party. In other words, not a person to trust on their word.

No, we did not. We are 6 months removed from the elections. The majority of the time has already been sat out. This line of "we knew it would happen" us a campaign line and gimmick of the two large parties, MEP and AVP. Because they both want a majority government in their own, they throw this line around that coalition governments are bad. They are not. Our democracy does not revolve around two parties with their own politically obsessed base. We also know what a single majority government can do, as we saw with the previous government of AVP that doubled our debt and couldn't understand the most basic principle of don't spend money you don't have. Which is the entire reason we needed so much help from the Netherlands during covid. We had a debt to gdp ratio of 45% before the majority AVP government. It ended with financial supervision and a debt of over 90%.

No thanks on single party rule.

Edit: it still became unnecessarily long

0 0

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aruba politics sometimes are like a real sitcom or a "telenovela"... always lots of suspension, plot twist and lots of drama
    0 0