This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Summer Trip to Cooler Climates

Post Thanks / Like
    After writing my trip report on Thursday we had some visitors outside the inn. I had been working on my computer and heard a lot of voices outside, but with 20 rooms-some of them holding 4+ people, I didn't think anything of it. I got up to go to the bathroom and there were two moose by the lake-about 150 feet away. They were just munching on a late dinner(about 1030 pm and it was still light out). There were a group of 20somethings, who I think work at the inn, who were having a cookout by the lake and the moose just stopped by running them off. They were trying to get the moose to move by yelling at them, but the moose were not going anywhere. On buses that do the tours in the national park, they have you stay quiet on the bus so not to frighten the wildlife off, but these moose could care less how much noise was made. They finally moved on after about 20 minutes. It was so much fun to watch. They were either females or young males because they did not have racks.

Friday we drove to Anchorage. We stopped at the two main entrances to Denali State Park to check out the view of Denali-we did see some of summit even though it was hazy(at least we think we did). They had one of the viewing paths closed because there was an aggressive momma bear and her cubs, so we decided not to spend too much time at the viewing area that was open. We stopped in the town of Talkeetna for lunch and walked around. It is cute, mostly stores and restaurants and beautiful views from the river at the end of the town. The town's mayor is a cat but I had forgotten that and did not look for him at the store where he hangs out. We had dinner in Anchorage before heading to the hotel.

It is nice being back in civilization. I have had a runny nose and a cough since checking in to the inn in the Denali area and last night it was really bad. Luckily, there is a Walnart down the street and I was able to get some meds this morning. I know it is something I am allergic to-I don't feel bad, just a cough and runny nose. After Walmart we went for a late breakfast and then headed downtown for some shopping and trolly tour. We had heard that Alice the trolly driver/guide was awesome and she was. She is knowledgable, funny, talented and she really made it enjoyable. She sings funny songs she has made up about the city and state and its people. We also went to a farmer's market which was really more of a local craft market. Watched some people fishing for salmon along the river and then headed back here to the hotel to rest and do some pre-packing. Weight is a concern, but I think I have it figured out. We came with two large bags, but I brought along an extra carry on that we will check since it has Alaskan Ulu knives in it. We will head out to dinner soon, I guess. I hope we can hit the hot tub tonight. Tomorrow we will head south for the first part of day to ride a tram(to the top of a mountain) and have lunch and then come back to see a museum that doesn't open until 1. Monday we will begin our first leg home-flight to Seattle, spend the night and then head home from there on Tuesday. I miss my own bed, my son, my own cooking and being able to wear sandals. Today is the warmest weather we've have -mid 70s. The leaves on the some of the trees are starting to turn yellow already in the interior parts of the state.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sitting in the lounge in the Anchorage airport. Our flight to Seattle is at 11:50 am Alaskan time(4 hours later than the east coast). Yesterday we went to the Alyeska Resort. We traveled the Seward Hwy. which goes between the mountains the Turnagain Arm-a waterway. The views were beautiful but hazy due to a large wildfire on the other side of the water. They say you can see whales, but we didn't see any. Once at the resort, we rode the tram to the top of their mountain. The views were beautiful. We hiked down to a lovely steep stream running over rocks down the mountain. It was so serene listen to the water run over the rocks. There are tons of hiking trails and there were people, many with dogs, hiking. In the winter it is a ski resorts. The map showed a lot of black diamond and double black diamond runs. After lunch there, we drove down the hwy for about 20 minutes taking in the view. Once we hit the area of a lot of road work, we turned around and headed back to Anchorage to a museum we wanted to visit. We spent a few hours there and then went back to our room to veg until it was time for dinner. Getting dinner in Anchorage seems to be a challenge. Most places won't take a reservation unless it a is a big party and there are long wait times. We tried two places-both had hours waits, before going to a bar and eating at the bar. There was line there too. We dropped our car off at the airport early because we thought the paperwork might take a long time. The second day we had the car, we were hit by a stone and it chipped the windshield. Stu had notified the credit car company(we have insurance through them) when it happened. Anyway, we told Avis about the chip. They looked at it and said since it was smaller than a dime, we did not have to pay for the damages and to have a good night. We had the hotel pick us up and worked on finishing packing and I finished my wine and Stu his Jack Daniels. Today we fly to Seattle and stay at a hotel by the airport then fly to Philadelphia around noon on Tuesday. I can't wait to hug my son and sleep in my own bed.

0 4

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you so much robin!
    so many of us have loved living vicariously by your postings!!

safe travels home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for sharing your adventures. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports. Safe home!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking us along Robin, what a great trip. Safe flight home!

Post Thanks / Like
    One last follow up. The flight to Seattle on Alaska Airlines was fine as was our night at the Hampton Inn near the airport. However; our AA flight home was delayed. We left the lounge to head for the gate(we don't leave the lounge until the time boarding is supposed to start) and the monitor said it was delayed by 1 minute. By the time we walked from B to C terminal(we were heading to D) the monitor said delayed-leaving at 3:00 and the flight was scheduled for 12.04(the text came in right then about the change). We made it to the gate and it was a mess-lots of people with connecting flights. There was an issue with the onboard weather radar and with storms all over the east coast, it needed to be repaired. They said we might not leave until five. We headed back to the lounge and then got a text saying 4:00 departure. We planned to leave the lounge at 3:30, but shortly after 3:00 I got a call from American asking where we are because they had begun boarding. I said I had a text saying 4:00 and the gate agent said they fixed it early and we had been upgraded. We hurried to the gate-still crazy there-to find out we had been moved to 1st class! yay us! What a treat! We boarded and then waited for others-all the monitors were saying 4:00 so people were still milling all over the airport. We did take off just before 4 pm PST and arrived in Philly about 11:40, waited 20 minutes for ground crew(shift change) to bring us to the gate and over 30 for luggage to appear. Finally got home at 2 am. Happy to be home!

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    First class makes up for everything!! Happy Home!!

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad that you are home safe and sound.
    1st class is always a treat.

so, now what is on the travel agenda?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that was quite an adventure. We can’t wait to hear about it in person...

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    glad that you are home safe and sound.
    1st class is always a treat.

so, now what is on the travel agenda?
    Thank-you.

End of October/Beginning of November-Hilton Head. Stu was invited to bring his car to a concourse show.
    December-Turks and Caicos for our anniverasary
    Jan-March-ARUBA
    July 2020-Poland, Viking Riverboat Cruise-Bucharest to Budapest, maybe train to Vienna and Prague.
    Something in the fall of 2020-probably down south again-he has clients from DC to Myrtle Beach, maybe do a bourbon trail tour
    Not sure for Dec. 2020-it's our 30th Anniversary
    Jan. 2021-Mid March-ARUBA
    March 18(or so) Antarctic Cruise(goes out of Chile).

0 2