This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Celebrations

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanksgiving Celebrations

Are you hosting or a guest?
    On Thanksgiving Day or a different Day?

We are hosting a couple of friends for a Thanksgiving meal this weekend! (we will be in Aruba on the actual holiday)
    Our menu includes....turkey, stuffing, cauliflower, mashed potatoes, gravy, squash, cranberry/orange relish, cornbread casserole, sweet potato pie and apple and pumpkin pies. Much wine and cider. All of those carbs!!

What are your plans?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just going to start the same type of thread.

I always host. Kids are coming in from Evanston(YAY!!!!). Stu's cousin, hubby, son, his wife and baby were invited. They are now bringing 1-2 people they have living with them. My sister-in-law and Sir Pee A Lot is still undecided because of weather. So we are anywhere from 10-12 adults, one 17 month old and maybe the dog(who will jump on everyone while they eat). I was really hoping that we'd only have the 5 of us this year because of my shoulder, but it is what it is.

I worked on the menu and grocery list earlier today. We will have appetizers mid afternoon(cheeses, dips, turkey pepperoni, summer beef and turkey sausage, veggies, chips, salsa, etc), then dinner around 5-turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, mashed, rolls, various veggies, ziti and salmon(my sil won't eat turkey and my son's girl friend doesn't eat meat). All the bread stuffing and rolls are homemade. The hummus dip, and a few others for the appetizers are homemade as is the cranberry sauce. All the desserts are homemade-apple pie, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, cookies and whipped cream. Wine, lots of wine. Most of the leftovers will go home with the cousins as they are struggling(not the wine) and Stu is making pizza on Friday and since the kids are flying out Saturday night will eat on the way to the airport, so we don't need the leftovers. I need to see if my son's girlfriend wants me to invite her family over Friday for dessert-we did that regularly until she stopped talking to them a few years ago. They've mended the relationship somewhat, but I will respect her wishes.

I picked up the turkey today. Turned on the old fridge in the basement(praying it works).

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We are hosting...well that’s if we get back on time...always hoping for another bump. With immediate family, including grandchildren we feed 20, and that's with a few absentees. So glad I'll have the rest of the week off.
    Last edited by schexc; 11-23-2019 at 08:24 AM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We’ll be in Aruba enjoying Thanksgiving at the Chophouse. Last week we did the whole turkey thing at home just for us. Thanksgiving seems to be one of those holidays where everyone goes in different directions. We’ll have to wait until Christmas to enjoy a big family get together.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The lurker here jumping in. My brother and SIL are hosting. This is going to be the second year we get the entire meal from Whole Foods. We decided it is a bargain not to have to prep and chop, just heat everything up. I'm in charge of a dessert and wine.

I wish everyone on the forum a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Darlene
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    We're hosting as usual, but a smaller crowd this year... Dinner is at 5:30 don't be late! We will have a mimosa bar set up for guests when they arrive. Menu includes: Jalapeno cheeseball, assorted veg, meats and cheeses and some other things for apps. The main meal: smoked whole turkey, smoked turkey breast, smoked ham and smoked mashed potatoes. Cranberry sauce made from scratch, spicy Southern corn, Senator Russell's sweet potato casserole, dressing (family recipe), green bean casserole (Grandma's recipe ), Brussels's sprout cauliflower gratin, gravy made with stock using smoked turkey wings, yeast rolls, pistachio cake, and pumpkin cheesecake. We started prepping and cooking about 2 hours ago. Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday, can you tell? Oh yeah, Christmas decorations go up Friday!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too. I have the herbed challah bread for the stuffing rising. Monday in between PT, chiropractor and training I'll get the rest of shopping done. Tuesday will be cookies, Wednesday after PT, pies and cake baking, cranberry sauce and maybe some challah cinnamon raisin bread for breakfast and cutting all veggies, meats, etc. The rest will be Thursday morning. Wednesday night the kids come in!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    We're hosting as usual, but a smaller crowd this year... Dinner is at 5:30 don't be late! We will have a mimosa bar set up for guests when they arrive. Menu includes: Jalapeno cheeseball, assorted veg, meats and cheeses and some other things for apps. The main meal: smoked whole turkey, smoked turkey breast, smoked ham and smoked mashed potatoes. Cranberry sauce made from scratch, spicy Southern corn, Senator Russell's sweet potato casserole, dressing (family recipe), green bean casserole (Grandma's recipe ), Brussels's sprout cauliflower gratin, gravy made with stock using smoked turkey wings, yeast rolls, pistachio cake, and pumpkin cheesecake. We started prepping and cooking about 2 hours ago. Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday, can you tell? Oh yeah, Christmas decorations go up Friday!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post

I must say Walt's menu's aways seem so yummy!

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    I must say Walt's menu's aways seem so yummy!
    Awww shucks... wish we could have all of you guys over!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be heading down to Baltimore early (before dawn to beat traffic) Wednesday morning to spend the holiday with family. We'll have all the traditional dishes. I'm always in charge of baking the pies so I'll make the pumpkin pies Tuesday night and apple pie when I get there. Pie dough is all done and in the freezer! I always bring the wine so took care of that today. Thanksgiving is big holiday for us. My first cousin and I are direct descendants of Elder William Brewster, the spiritual leader of the Pilgrims.
    I wish you all a wonderful holiday and safe travels to those hitting the road and airways!!

0 1