This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: For those of you that worked or are working remotely

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    299
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been working remote since 3/10/20 and our company has not yet planned for any of our offices to return to those offices.
    If and when my office in NY City does return, older workers in back office roles (finance) such as me will probably not be required to return to the office. Our company/ business (commercial P&C insurance) has not only managed well but has thrived with working remotely.
    As for me personally, I love working remotely and at this point in my career it is almost a “gift” to go into retirement in the next couple of years as I had planned before the Pandemic. I have eliminated my time consuming and stressful commute to NYC. I get to spend much more time, especially during the summer at our 2nd home at the Jersey shore and I get to pick up my grandson a couple of days a week at daycare when home in North Jersey.
    Yes, I am working more hours but being more productive and enjoying the freedom of working remotely. I hope we never go back to the office.
    Last edited by Pop-pop Brian; 05-16-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    Brian

    0 3
     

  2. #12
    Super Moderator WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Surf Club
    Posts
    6,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    My company has hired so many people that are working remotely most of the time, that there is not enough office space for everyone to return.

    0 0
     

  3. #13
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    4,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay, I totally understand where you are coming from. My last 3 or 4 years was like that. I did more than I had to do and my kids thrived, but the bull from outside of my school, and paperwork were draining the life out of me. It is work sticking it out, but so worth it.

    Hubby works remotely when we are in Aruba, so it was not a big deal to do it from home. He would go into the office once or twice a week to pick up from his assistant or drop stuff to her and she also stopped in 2x a week. We own the office condo and we have two other professionals renting office space in the condo, so working from home made sense since the two that rent see their clients in the office(a chiropractor and a psychologist evaluating people for Social Security). At the end of the year, Stu did meet with a few new clients in the office. Since we have been back, he has met with fully vaccinated clients and since he has been fully vaccinated, he is in the office and on the road more often, but is still working from home. Once we come back from our trip to Florida at the end of the month(purchase furniture for Aruba and he will see clients on the trip), he will probably be full time in the office. I think he is going to miss the convince of walking down the hall in sweats or shorts and a tee shirt, however; his office is less than 2 miles from home. I will miss having him at home except when I am expecting something to be delivered that I ordered online since the sidewalk to the front door goes right past the office window.






    0 1
     

  4. #14
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bonus of my job is I NEVER leave with work to do...I am a wellness teacher and any grading that I need to do I do while in school. The other bonus of course is the 15 weeks or so I get off each year.

    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Jay, I totally understand where you are coming from. My last 3 or 4 years was like that. I did more than I had to do and my kids thrived, but the bull from outside of my school, and paperwork were draining the life out of me. It is work sticking it out, but so worth it.

    Hubby works remotely when we are in Aruba, so it was not a big deal to do it from home. He would go into the office once or twice a week to pick up from his assistant or drop stuff to her and she also stopped in 2x a week. We own the office condo and we have two other professionals renting office space in the condo, so working from home made sense since the two that rent see their clients in the office(a chiropractor and a psychologist evaluating people for Social Security). At the end of the year, Stu did meet with a few new clients in the office. Since we have been back, he has met with fully vaccinated clients and since he has been fully vaccinated, he is in the office and on the road more often, but is still working from home. Once we come back from our trip to Florida at the end of the month(purchase furniture for Aruba and he will see clients on the trip), he will probably be full time in the office. I think he is going to miss the convince of walking down the hall in sweats or shorts and a tee shirt, however; his office is less than 2 miles from home. I will miss having him at home except when I am expecting something to be delivered that I ordered online since the sidewalk to the front door goes right past the office window.
    Trip 33 begins on July 15.








    0 0
     

  5. #15
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    39,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am enjoying the answers and the general impression I see from
    our educators is that it is not all it once was.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

    0 0
     

  6. #16
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, well said!

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I am enjoying the answers and the general impression I see from
    our educators is that it is not all it once was.
    Trip 33 begins on July 15.








    1 0
     

  7. #17
    Senior Member purpleangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our office opted for WFH shortly after the pandemic hit in March 2020. I was home from mid-March to end of June. It was fun for a short while, and then quickly got old. I work in a law firm, and I have two monitors. Working off a laptop just wasn't cutting it. I live alone, so I missed the social aspect. And, the Firm installed a program that tracked your time for billable events (i.e., big brother). The bad thing about that is it didn't track when we were doing filings with the courts, docketing, or anything that wasn't Word or Outlook based. The Firm gave folks the option of returning to the office at the end of June. For those who opted to continue to work from home (i.e., staff), they had to provide a doctor's note. Our Firm is now calling everyone back on June 1.
    Darlene
    0 0
     

  8. #18
    Senior Member DiviDiviFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simply tolerated it, at early start was kind of cool and enjoyed my zooms in my backyard screen porch. I enjoy working in actual offices though, remote got old and unless you have a comfortable work station it is not easy. It was also hard with hubby home, had to work in another room to concentrate or have quiet for zooms and the wi-fi was not the greatest in certain spots.

    0 1
     

  9. #19
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    39,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya!!!
    I had numerous ZOOMS and it was hard to keep the dog from barking or jumping in.
    If I went into bedroom 1, 2 or 3, and shut the door, she'd whine and cry "mummy out of sight"

    I am glad most of my Zooming was in the summer and now mostly over.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    Simply tolerated it, at early start was kind of cool and enjoyed my zooms in my backyard screen porch. I enjoy working in actual offices though, remote got old and unless you have a comfortable work station it is not easy. It was also hard with hubby home, had to work in another room to concentrate or have quiet for zooms and the wi-fi was not the greatest in certain spots.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

    0 0
     

  10. #20
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    4,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    After working remotely since we went to Aruba in January of 2020, hubby is going back to his office. Today he backed up everything he had in the home office and moved it back to his regular office. I will miss having him at home all day.






    0 0
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •