This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Prep for our Winter Dec. 27-March 28 adventure

Post Thanks / Like

Trip Prep for our Winter Dec. 27-March 28 adventure

It's a little early to start this thread, but I am so excited about going "home" that I need to do something.

I am or rather was 99% packed. Now dh says he wants to bring a bunch of stuff and he needs meds I already packed. I guess we'll be repacking over the weekend.

Getting ready to leave for 3 months is challenging at times. It seems like there are lots of stupid things that need to get done before we go.

Our meals at home are me getting creative using up things that will not keep for 3 months or not things my son will eat while we are away. Last night I made Butter Chicken using sour cream(trying to use it up) instead of yogurt(only had flavored in the house) and we liked it better. The other day was Potato Leek soup to use up the potatoes. You get the idea. I don't mind this type of challenge.

One example is our city signed a contract with a new trash company starting Jan. 1. They are supplying everyone with two 96 gallon trash cans-one for trash and the other for recycling. My son and I took our old cans to our storage garage on our rental property and the old recycling cans to back to the city. There isn't enough space in our garage for everything

Speaking about the rental property, last week our tenant walked into hubby's office and handed him the keys and said they moved out. We now had to hire a realtor(our neighbor) to rent the property for us because we do not want to leave it empty. If you knew how much they owned us and how much the previous tenant owes us, you'd cry-I'm just very angry. I had to clean, patch holes, and paint. Not something I was planning on doing right before we left.

There are a bunch of other things going on-some I can deal with from Aruba and others will have to wait until I get back.

I really nice just to sit, relax, soak up the sun, look at the blue waters, white sand and drink. Just me and hubby-none of the "clowns to the left of me and jokers to right".

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I just can’t wait for your 3 month trip. I hope you get a good set of new tenants!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting the trip report early. We’ll do anything to extend our stay

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    So lucky to be in Aruba for 3 months! A good length of time to relax, enjoy and regroup.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 words of advise- "wage attachment"

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    It's a little early to start this thread, but I am so excited about going "home" that I need to do something.

I am or rather was 99% packed. Now dh says he wants to bring a bunch of stuff and he needs meds I already packed. I guess we'll be repacking over the weekend.

Getting ready to leave for 3 months is challenging at times. It seems like there are lots of stupid things that need to get done before we go.

Our meals at home are me getting creative using up things that will not keep for 3 months or not things my son will eat while we are away. Last night I made Butter Chicken using sour cream(trying to use it up) instead of yogurt(only had flavored in the house) and we liked it better. The other day was Potato Leek soup to use up the potatoes. You get the idea. I don't mind this type of challenge.

One example is our city signed a contract with a new trash company starting Jan. 1. They are supplying everyone with two 96 gallon trash cans-one for trash and the other for recycling. My son and I took our old cans to our storage garage on our rental property and the old recycling cans to back to the city. There isn't enough space in our garage for everything

Speaking about the rental property, last week our tenant walked into hubby's office and handed him the keys and said they moved out. We now had to hire a realtor(our neighbor) to rent the property for us because we do not want to leave it empty. If you knew how much they owned us and how much the previous tenant owes us, you'd cry-I'm just very angry. I had to clean, patch holes, and paint. Not something I was planning on doing right before we left.

There are a bunch of other things going on-some I can deal with from Aruba and others will have to wait until I get back.

I really nice just to sit, relax, soak up the sun, look at the blue waters, white sand and drink. Just me and hubby-none of the "clowns to the left of me and jokers to right".

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thread moved to "off topic" since it is not really aruba related

looking forward to your trip report/aruba story

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason they moved out was because he is having medical issues and can't work. We started to try to attach wages of the previous tenant. It has been 16 months since she left and still nothing-the courts take forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    I have 2 words of advise- "wage attachment"

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    being a landlord is often more trouble than it is worth.
    we ended up hiring a management company to take over our multifamily building.
    the straw that broke the camel's back was one of the tenants breaking into our home to pay her rent that was 45 days late.
    our dog cornered her in the dinging room and held her there for quite a while.
    when I got home, I saw her car.........the screen on the window cut and the window open.
    I called the cops and she was arrested.
    even then, it took us 6 mos and a loss of $8000 to get her out.
    her crime against us did cost her, her teaching job .

we sold that property in 2004 and at the time it was a great decision to sell.

now, being retired, I do wish that we had that monthly income from those 4 units.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the laundry, including all our bedding is washed and put where it needs to be. I dropped off all my paperwork and stuff (I'm sec/treasurer for an organization) to our president. I finished another lapghan for the Veteran's home. I went shopping for David so he has something besides junk food in the house. Did some post Christmas shopping-the Bed, Bath and Beyond is closing and everything(not electrics) is 50% off and they are still taking coupons-bought some curtains for the condo that I will take next year and other stuff. We are checked in with the airline. The only thing I have left to pack is this laptop. Hubby is in the basement cutting a piece of wood he wants to pack to fix something in the condo. Not last minute or anything. We will go out for dinner with David and then head to the airport hotel. David will drop us off there. Our flight is at 8:40 am and it is totally filled. We have two large suitcases, two large duffles and carryons. Hopefully it will be the last year of that much luggage. It is 39 degrees here and 80 in Aruba. I need the sun, surf and sand.
    Last edited by robin; 12-26-2018 at 05:24 PM.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    safe and easy travels tomorrow!
    please be sure to start an Aruba Story in the Aruba Story category!!!

Looking forward to reading of many adventures and aid back days