This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When life happens and plans change

Post Thanks / Like

When life happens and plans change

I can't stress enough how excited I am to have a new batch of trip reports coming. My husband and I have had job changes this year and we may not make our annual trip to Aruba this year (still hoping, but not sure) so we will be living through the rest of you! Up until March, we both had vacation banked and potential to earn 4 weeks a year of time off, not to mention enough sick leave to have any unforeseen emergencies covered. Jon had been at his job for 24 years, and I had been at mine for 14. We were both incredibly unhappy at the way things were changing in our respective companies, and it was bringing a lot of unwanted stress into our lives. I had been looking for a while, but nothing really jumped out or matched the benefits of my former job. All of that changed in February. I applied for a job and had an amazing phone interview with a hiring manager who had seen a presentation I gave last year at a conference. When the possibilities of me changing jobs came up, Jon decided to see what his options were with some local competitors. It a strange twist of fate, we had interviews on the same day within an hour of each other. We both got the jobs we applied for and decided to accept. Unfortunately the timing didn't' work out for us to take a week off together in between, we really should have planned better! But fast forward to now, and we are both settling in nicely. Stress levels are down in our house, and we aren't just living for those 4 weeks a year when we could get away. We needed this change! After 17 years in utilities, I am now in a public school system (a year round position, no summers off). My husband is once again working with a former manager that has been a great friend and mentor to him. We are both working early hours, he starts at 4am and I start at 6am, but our schedules feel more aligned and we are definitely morning people anyway. So far the stress level in our house has greatly decreased!

So what this means for our Aruba plans - well we need to get some vacation time banked - Jon negotiated a decent package to start, but mine was not flexible and I just have to earn it on a schedule. There's a chance we will still make it to Aruba Thanksgiving week so we don't have to use as many days, but that will depend on flight costs and family holiday plans. No more 10-14 day trips for us for a while, we will have to make the most out of a week. If we don't make it Thanksgiving, we will shoot for Superbowl time frame. In the mean time, I will be reading the forum and planning how to make the best our of our next trip!
    Always planning our next trip
    0 7

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    although I have know about your's and jon's jobs changing for about a month now, I am glad that you finally let your friends here know.

wishing you 2 all of the best!

I know how miserable you have been at your old job.

Congrats on the new jobs and congrats on the less stress at home.

A huge burden has been lifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I can't stress enough how excited I am to have a new batch of trip reports coming. My husband and I have had job changes this year and we may not make our annual trip to Aruba this year (still hoping, but not sure) so we will be living through the rest of you! Up until March, we both had vacation banked and potential to earn 4 weeks a year of time off, not to mention enough sick leave to have any unforeseen emergencies covered. Jon had been at his job for 24 years, and I had been at mine for 14. We were both incredibly unhappy at the way things were changing in our respective companies, and it was bringing a lot of unwanted stress into our lives. I had been looking for a while, but nothing really jumped out or matched the benefits of my former job. All of that changed in February. I applied for a job and had an amazing phone interview with a hiring manager who had seen a presentation I gave last year at a conference. When the possibilities of me changing jobs came up, Jon decided to see what his options were with some local competitors. It a strange twist of fate, we had interviews on the same day within an hour of each other. We both got the jobs we applied for and decided to accept. Unfortunately the timing didn't' work out for us to take a week off together in between, we really should have planned better! But fast forward to now, and we are both settling in nicely. Stress levels are down in our house, and we aren't just living for those 4 weeks a year when we could get away. We needed this change! After 17 years in utilities, I am now in a public school system (a year round position, no summers off). My husband is once again working with a former manager that has been a great friend and mentor to him. We are both working early hours, he starts at 4am and I start at 6am, but our schedules feel more aligned and we are definitely morning people anyway. So far the stress level in our house has greatly decreased!

So what this means for our Aruba plans - well we need to get some vacation time banked - Jon negotiated a decent package to start, but mine was not flexible and I just have to earn it on a schedule. There's a chance we will still make it to Aruba Thanksgiving week so we don't have to use as many days, but that will depend on flight costs and family holiday plans. No more 10-14 day trips for us for a while, we will have to make the most out of a week. If we don't make it Thanksgiving, we will shoot for Superbowl time frame. In the mean time, I will be reading the forum and planning how to make the best our of our next trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new jobs and reducing your stress levels!! That’s the most important thing!
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and I am happy for you guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't be happier for you guys! Aruba will always be there waiting for you to return. I'm not exactly happy where I am right now, but I can't give up the benefits. But you guys being young can make a transition and make it work. Best of luck!

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Couldn't be happier for you guys! Aruba will always be there waiting for you to return. I'm not exactly happy where I am right now, but I can't give up the benefits. But you guys being young can make a transition and make it work. Best of luck!
    Benefits was a huge thing holding me back before. It will take a while to build up time off, and our medical costs did increase, but I feel so relieved every morning when I wake up not dreading the day ahead of me. I really waited for the right situation to come along. It turns out I was able to go from one covered position to another in the the state employee pension program. That was a huge plus, not losing any of my service years and picking up where I left off (16 years to go, but who's counting).

Thanks everyone for the support. I can honestly say I have not regretted my decision to leave my old place at all.
    0 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to you both. Job changes are scary, especially after so many years with an employer. Hubs and I both did it within the last year and our only regret was not having made the changes sooner (me after 18 years and him 23 years). We do have less vacation time and this will likely be the last year that we visit for two weeks until he can build up some more time. I hope that you, like us, find that the lower daily stress and higher job satisfaction are a fair trade off for deferring some Aruba time til future years.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kemperato View Post
    Congrats to you both. Job changes are scary, especially after so many years with an employer. Hubs and I both did it within the last year and our only regret was not having made the changes sooner (me after 18 years and him 23 years). We do have less vacation time and this will likely be the last year that we visit for two weeks until he can build up some more time. I hope that you, like us, find that the lower daily stress and higher job satisfaction are a fair trade off for deferring some Aruba time til future years.
    Wow - very similar situations. I am glad to hear it has worked out for you two as well! I think you hit it right on the head, higher day to day job satisfaction is really necessary.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new jobs!!! If you were unhappy in your previous positions it's definitely worth the loss of time off to move to a job you don't hate getting up for. I changed not just jobs, but an entire career a little over 2 years ago. SO glad I did it. However, even though I was given 2 weeks vacation, it's not enough. My husband still has 5 weeks and I sometimes feel bad I'm the one holding us back from traveling now that we can as the kids are on their own (well, almost; one more semester for our youngest).

Remember the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder"? If an Aruba trip is delayed, imagine how exciting the next one will be.

(Isn't it refreshing not to dread heading to work? I am NOT a morning person and actually have an easier time getting up with this new position)

and maybe a 55th b-day in Aruba, Feb, 2020

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so happy for the both of you!

1 0