This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yard critters

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

yard critters

We moved to Florida 10 years ago. Some of you know that we lived for the first 4 years in a different development/community.
    We loved it there, loved our house but we needed a garage and we also did not like the fact that there were over 200 ponds.
    With ponds, come wildlife.
    Some of the wildlife that would come into our carport, driveway and yard included wood stork birds (that were filthy), water moccasins, catfish that would swim down the street in heavy rain and move from pond to pond in the heavy rain and last but certainly not least alligators.

This alligator came into my former neighbor's driveway/carport this evening when she was coming in from a walk.

yard critters-fullsizeoutput_1b81-jpg

We have been in another neighborhood now for 6 years and yes we have gators and a garage, but they are not problematic. We only have 5 ponds.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I will stick with the cold weather I would get hurt with that thing....I will be honest any wild animal/snake etc that makes it on my property is taking its life in its own hands....I hate all of them and will attempt to "remove" all of them....thats a critter that I don't want to battle with.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    We moved to Florida 10 years ago. Some of you know that we lived for the first 4 years in a different development/community.
    We loved it there, loved our house but we needed a garage and we also did not like the fact that there were over 200 ponds.
    With ponds, come wildlife.
    Some of the wildlife that would come into our carport, driveway and yard included wood stork birds (that were filthy), water moccasins, catfish that would swim down the street in heavy rain and move from pond to pond in the heavy rain and last but certainly not least alligators.

This alligator came into my former neighbor's driveway/carport this evening when she was coming in from a walk.

yard critters-fullsizeoutput_1b81-jpg

We have been in another neighborhood now for 6 years and yes we have gators and a garage, but they are not problematic. We only have 5 ponds.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 03-23-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we’ll stick with the raccoons we sometimes get. They’re a nuisance but kind of cute.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We get squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, wild turkeys and deer for the most part. Very rarely a coyote, red fox, garden snake. That's more than enough for us...

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I hate the wild critters for the most part.
    at first I thought that the birds were pretty awesome....then a sand hill crane decided to peck the heck out of my car (he was attacking his reflexion), I watched a hawk attack a small dog on a leash. the worst is the noise that mating alligators make. it is an unbelievable and very scary.
    our old community was like jurassic park.

jay, did you know you probably would not be able to outrun a gator?
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I did know I could not out run the gator...another reason to stay here, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes, I hate the wild critters for the most part. my update- the "average" gator can only run 11mph on land for a short period...that gator is not catching me, lol. I thought they were faster. In water they can really move....a reason to swim in the pool

at first I thought that the birds were pretty awesome....then a sand hill crane decided to peck the heck out of my car (he was attacking his reflexion), I watched a hawk attack a small dog on a leash. the worst is the noise that mating alligators make. it is an unbelievable and very scary.
    our old community was like jurassic park.

jay, did you know you probably would not be able to outrun a gator?
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 03-23-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That gator would make a nice pair of boots. We have red fox, coyotes, bald eagles, and the occasional deer. A few species of snakes, but they keep their distance for the most part. I'll take the warm weather and wildlife over snow every. single. time.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd need new undies if I ran into a gator in my yard! We have squirrels, rabbits, and chipmunks in our yard and deer in wooded areas not far. I noticed that the wild turkeys are back too. Squirrels did a lot of damage, like $14,000 worth of damage to our solar panel wires and roof a few years ago-made a nest under the panels, chewed up shingles for nesting material and chewed on the wiring of 20 out of 24 panels on that one roof. Rabbits used to have a nest under two bushes in bed in my front lawn. If you got close, it would run. The guys cutting our grass would always send a new guy over to "trim" knowing the rabbit would bolt and scare the guy. We'd could hear the screams from inside the house.
    Last edited by robin; 03-24-2020 at 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in North Jersey we have the usual squirrels, chipmunks, deer, rabbits, etc. Once in a while we’ll get an alert from our town about a coyote or a bear sighting but that doesn’t happen too often. We are about 20 miles from NYC and not out in the woods. I did have an encounter with 4 wild turkeys a few years ago. I was driving and they were right in front of me.i stopped thinking they were crossing the road and all of a sudden they started charging my CRV. I drove around them as fast as I could! Oh, we also have hawks that occasionally nail a bird or pigeon by our backyard feeder. I hate when I see feathers scattered around but my husband said every living thing has to eat. I guess.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Wildlife is suppose to be in the wild...when its on my doorstep its no longer "wild" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    That gator would make a nice pair of boots. We have red fox, coyotes, bald eagles, and the occasional deer. A few species of snakes, but they keep their distance for the most part. I'll take the warm weather and wildlife over snow every. single. time.