This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Airport and International Flights

Post Thanks / Like

Airport and International Flights

We were talking with our son last night and he said they were in the lounge in Aruba awaiting their flights when security came in and told everyone they had to leave because they had to section off the terminal for international flights. It seemed to take everyone by surprise. My son said that the US is international and security told him that they don't consider the US as international. When they left the lounge, they could see people behind glass doors. I never seen this happen and I have never heard of this happening. Can anyone give us some insight? Thanks.
    Last edited by robin; 01-02-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: clarify

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the happened to us twice.
    it was years ago and we were flying Air Tran (now gone)
    we were way up at a gate.......beyond some glass doors.
    we were hanging out at that gate area and were required to move.

all of those gate areas that US Customs feeds into, is considered for all intents and purposes USA departure gates.
    beyond those doors, are usually other than USA.
    also too sometimes there is an arrival that deplanes thru that area, although very rarely.
    in either case they have to make that area secure.

clear as mud?

The part of the map marked is the area that I am speaking of.
    I am guessing your son and his girlfriend too.
    Airport and International Flights-screen-shot-2020-01-02-5-33-16-pm-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    We were talking with our son last night and he said they were in the lounge in Aruba awaiting their flights when security came in and told everyone they had to leave because they had to section off the terminal for international flights. It seemed to take everyone by surprise. My son said that the US is international and security told him that they don't consider the US as international. When they left the lounge, they could see people behind glass doors. I never seen this happen and I have never heard of this happening. Can anyone give us some insight? Thanks.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-02-2020 at 06:37 PM.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andrea. So all the gates are for the US unless they need them for an international or they are international unless they are needed for the US. I'm not sure what part of the airport they were in other than they were in a lounge. We didn't even know that there were two lounges because we always go to the one nearest where you come up from security. The kids were in the other lounge but the first one was too busy.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the lounge that they were in was across from gate 2.

the lounge that Paul and I go into is the one across from gate 8.

and yes, I think.............that gates 3 thru 8 are for USA departures. gates 1 and 2, I think are for all, including some USA.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Thanks Andrea. So all the gates are for the US unless they need them for an international or they are international unless they are needed for the US. I'm not sure what part of the airport they were in other than they were in a lounge. We didn't even know that there were two lounges because we always go to the one nearest where you come up from security. The kids were in the other lounge but the first one was too busy.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the lounge that they were in was across from gate 2.

the lounge that Paul and I go into is the one across from gate 8.

and yes, I think.............that gates 3 thru 8 are for USA departures. gates 1 and 2, I think are for all, including some USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was traveling back on my one once I was in the "other" lounge near gate 2 and had to move as well. I did not think much of it at the time and just moved. I assumed they wanted to close that lounge down for the night.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last time I flew out of Aruba back in September of 2018 my boarding gate with Copa Airlines was supposed to be Gate #3. I was informed while checking in that this was subject to change, and that I would most likely have to board at Gate #2 instead. When I reached Gate #3 after stopping downstairs to get something to eat and to pick up some last minute items at the souvenir shop, passengers for a flight to Colombia had just boarded and just as I took a seat in the vicinity, I was informed by two airport security guards that I would have to move as this area was going to be for the U.S. bound flights. Remembering what I was told at check in I made my way to Gate #2, before I could make two steps on of the guards the asked where I was going? When i told him Panama, he nodded and pointed towards Gate #2.

This was the third time that I had to board a flight on the second floor, as all my previous flights normally boarded at either Gate A or Gate B on the ground floor. As was mentioned earlier, gates three to eight are where passengers for the U.S, bound flights normally assemble for boarding, and depending on the number of flights within a certain time frame they will designate a few extra gates for the Non-U.S, bound flights. Just wish the guards could have asked where I was going before directing me where to go. Say what, water under the bridge.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year I was in the restroom down near Gate 2 and they chased me out of there for the same reason.
    0 0