This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have you left the Island on a Monday?

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Post Thanks / Like

have you left the Island on a Monday?

We will be visiting the Island in few weeks and actually leave for home on Monday, Oct 1. I am wondering if we can safely shorten the 3hr terminal experience. I once left on a Wednesday and it was me and maybe 50 people in the terminal around 11AM. Heaven. Alas, we usually leave on chaotic Saturdays. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think Mondays wouldn't be as crazy as the weekend usually is. If you have Global Entry you might be safe taking some time off the three hours. But without it, I just wouldn't trust the many variables involved to make it work. Number of customs agents, security lines and staffing, there's just too much that can go against you. We have left on other weekdays and like you have found it almost deserted. I check the airport website for flight info to see how many departures there are around the same time as ours, the more there are, the more crowded it seems. https://www.airportaruba.com/

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we usually leave on a weekday too.
    although we KNOW it will take a shorter time than the 3 hours they recommend, we usually get there 3 hours early, no matter what.

I have friends that allowed less than 3 hrs, and they had global entry..........well global entry was down and they had to get in the line. So, their hour and a half that they allowed turned out to be quite nerve wracking for them.

Whatever you decide, let us know how long it too you!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    We will be visiting the Island in few weeks and actually leave for home on Monday, Oct 1. I am wondering if we can safely shorten the 3hr terminal experience. I once left on a Wednesday and it was me and maybe 50 people in the terminal around 11AM. Heaven. Alas, we usually leave on chaotic Saturdays. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I left on Memorial Day (Soul Beach was also happening). I thought there’d be a lot of US departures so I gave myself about 3 hours. Totally not needed and got through pretty quickly.

When I left about a month ago, customs was a mess (wasn’t like that on Memorial Day). By then I had global entry but without it, I would have been very stressed.

so, if you have Global entry, you can shorten the 3 hours a little.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We have left during the week and sometimes it is quick and sometimes it is not(we always take the same flight). It all depends on the number of agents they have working-airline, security, customs, etc.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all of the above. I left on a Saturday my first trip to Aruba. Never again, thank you! Have never left on a Monday; Wed. departure was a breeze; left on Tuesday last month but still allowed for the 3 hours. Definitely could have shortened it quite a bit but didn't mind as gave me time to shop, have coffee and nosh and not stress (that's a big deal for me). I'd stick with 3 hours just to be safe. No one wants to end a vacation in paradise stressing out to make a flighf! Have a wonderful time!

0 0

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input. We will leave ourselves plenty of time and not risk being stressed.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. We will leave ourselves plenty of time and not risk being stressed.
    Good idea, that usually leaves time for a departure cocktail or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we did it this year (beginning of June) and it worked out very well. Booked a few nights at the Ren Ocean Suites and flew out on a Monday, and there were no lines to speak of, much better than on our usual Saturdays. I hope to do it every year going forward.

Rhys
    0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it also depends what time of day you are leaving. If it is before 1 o'clock, definitely can shorten that on a Monday. If its prime time between 2 & 5 on a Monday, I would do 2 1/2 hours though it probably won't take that long at all but like everyone said, that could be the day 10 people call in sick and then you are screwed.