This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seating capacity on future flights etc

Post Thanks / Like

Seating capacity on future flights etc

I’ve been watching JetBlue fares for November. This morning I noticed that they have a different color code for the middle seats, as well as, all the seats after row 18. So it looks like they’ll only be booking 25% of their seats which, of course, is understandable. Prices are running around $400 higher for two people round trip. My preference would be to pay with points but they are charging so many points now it doesn’t work out for us.

Our cancelled May trip was 66,200 points. The November trip was 104,200; then 108,000 and this morning 190,000 points!! The increase from 108,000 to 190,000 doesn’t make a lot of sense since the US dollar fare did not increase. So now I’m undecided about whether or not to book November. If I book by the end of the month cancellation fees are waived so there is incentive.

‘Thoughts, anyone?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Has Jetblue not extended the cancellation fee waiver? You shouldn’t have to book by the end of the month...I ask because United changed theirs multiple times and extended the waiver. I eventually converted my cancelled flight from being an option to rebook without fees into an electronic travel certificate which has a longer window to use (24 months from issue) and is pretty much just a travel credit.

back on topic: I noticed that United has been “limiting” advance seat selection to preclude middles and alternating window and aisle seats in rows of two...allegedly.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    JetBlue’s cancellation waiver is in effect until May 31st. I suppose they could extend it but I’m thinking that with the states starting to open up, they probably won’t. For my cancelled May flight my points and money for extra room was refunded so I don’t have anything on the books with them.

Guess I’m trying to decide if we should just wait for next year.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha. I’m thinking it may be extended, but that is speculation of course. Maybe you’ll snag a good deal over the next two weeks, you just have to play the game of stalking the fares a billion times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    JetBlue’s cancellation waiver is in effect until May 31st. I suppose they could extend it but I’m thinking that with the states starting to open up, they probably won’t. For my cancelled May flight my points and money for extra room was refunded so I don’t have anything on the books with them.

Guess I’m trying to decide if we should just wait for next year.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would wait. I do not think keeping the middle seat blocked will be something airlines continue to do. They may be showing it that way to give people confidence to book, but I could see it changing later and maybe prices will come back down to the normal range if that happens.
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I think prices are going to be high to make up for the lost seats. When all this started, prices were low for December(AA) and I booked figuring people would be cancelling and rebook later in the year driving up the prices. (I never thought about reduced seating). I knew I could cancel without penalty if they dropped more or we changed our minds. Well, those tickets are $81 more a person and Jan-Mar are $54 more a person.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    We booked on United going to Aruba back in January before all of this To fly in November. Then we just booked coming back in December. When i looked at my January purchase, that flight is also now if you want to cancel without penalties. I was impressed with United since those are flights for Nov/Dec. once i book, i stop looking, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Peg, now that airlines are using dynamic award charts, the amount of points required can change almost constantly. JetBlue points value out at about 1.3 to 1.4 cents per point. Peg, that means the "cash equivalent" would be ~$2660.00 for 190,000 points. The thing with paying with points is that you have to compare the points value against the cash price. We bought cash tickets and are saving our points this year because the point amount required was ridiculous.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Peg, now that airlines are using dynamic award charts, the amount of points required can change almost constantly. JetBlue points value out at about 1.3 to 1.4 cents per point. Peg, that means the "cash equivalent" would be ~$2660.00 for 190,000 points. The thing with paying with points is that you have to compare the points value against the cash price. We bought cash tickets and are saving our points this year because the point amount required was ridiculous.
    Yes, that’s a good point! I had pretty much decided that if we do book it would be with dollars. Now I only have to decide if I want to book before the end of the month to take advantage of the waived fees for future travel, or wait to see if prices go down at all. I really just expect prices to go up.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Peg, I'd be really surprised if Jet blue doesn't extend the date. I was seriously considering cancelling my September trip but then Delta extended the cancellation date to September 30th. While I'm pretty pessimistic about the chance that I'll actually be going, I'm going to see how things develop over the summer.

0 2