This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Insurance A Must!

Post Thanks / Like

Trip Insurance A Must!

I'm always suggesting trip insurance so I just want to share my experience.

Last year the week of September 22nd I was set to fly to Aruba with Ms Daisy and we had round trip Mint Tickets with Jet Blue which came out to $1,100 each. I took out insurance with Allianz and I'm not sure how much I paid but lets say it was $150 to cover us both. I cancelled flights on separate days. Ms Daisy received a credit for her flight less $200 cancellation fee. I received a full credit no cancellation fee. I guess when I told the agent I was cancelling my flight to take care of her, it touched her and she just said you know what, I know you took out insurance but instead of you having to file a claim, I'm not going to charge you the $200 cancelation fee and will give you full credit. I filed a claim this month for my Mother's $200 cancellation fee and received it within 2 weeks. I got to use her credits as well as mine on another flight.

We also had tickets last year to go to Puerto Rico for Thanks Giving that I ended up cancelling. Delta gave us both full credit on the flights. They saw I had trip insurance but went the extra mile to call my Mother's doctor, sent him a form and based on that information they waived the cancellation fee and gave me full credit. This saved me the trouble from filing a claim. However, unlike Jet Blue who's credit never expires and can be used to purchase a ticket for anybody, Delta expires 1 year and can only be used by the ticket holder so I can't use her credits even though I paid for flight. Ms Daisy improved a lot but is not ready or willing to fly just yet. Her credit was expiring August 20th of this year. I filed a claim at the beginning of this month and they only asked for the trip receipt showing that I made the purchase and a simple doctors statement which I obtained. After 10 days they approved the claim so they are sending a check for $538.

In summary, investment $150, claim $738 (could have been more if airline did not give credit) and even though Delta gave my mother full credit for a future flight, because she was unfit to travel and credit expiring this month, the insurance reimburse her for the flight.

My real reason for flight insurance is the medivac which i heard can cost 15k and up. Had Ms Daisy made it to Aruba and gotten sick there, well it would have been a nightmare for me but I had the trip insurance which would have covered the medievac to bring her back safely...

I have to say my experience with Allianz was 5 star. Customer Service Reps were great on the phone and filling out the claim online was easy and they don't ask for too much paperwork..

Do you have trip insurance for your next trip?

1 4

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing!!

We even take trip insurance for domestic travel as well.

How is is your mom doing ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mom is doing well thanks. I moved from a second floor apartment in May to a 1st floor apartment in the same building so now she doesn't have to walk up or down 16 steps as we are right bye the outside exit door. She gets to go outside more often during the week with the home attendant and use of a walker. I took her to church Sunday with the weekend home attendant. She is in great health but will never be able to walk without the aide of walker which she moves pretty swiftly with. Hey she's 94 and Oct 1st is her birthday so she had a great run being able to walk, travel, cook, clean into age 93.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Ace, please double check JetBlue’s credit policy. Things could have changed but the last time we cancelled and got a credit they put in the travel bank but it was only good for a year. The good thing was they would let you buy a ticket for someone else.

Thanks for the important reminder.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We have never taken out trip insurance, but we are for the Antartica cruise trip in 2021-it is just way to expensive of a trip. Plus at some point in the future hubby will need surgery but we don't know if it'll be a year or two or ten.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    For the minimal cost, trip insurance is well worth the comfort level. It was only $54 for my recent trip to Aruba. Even though everything went perfectly, I felt it was money well spent.
    Ace, you are a good son. God bless you and your Mom!

0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPECIALLY medical evacuation.
    Huge costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Ace, please double check JetBlue’s credit policy. Things could have changed but the last time we cancelled and got a credit they put in the travel bank but it was only good for a year. The good thing was they would let you buy a ticket for someone else.

Thanks for the important reminder.
    Now I'm not sure but I don't recall being told with Jet Blue Bank that it expired in year. However, I already used up all the bank credits on the December 2018 trip and May 2019 trip so I'm good.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Update. Yesterday I checked my claim for the $536 and it said it was approved and a check is on its way. This morning i checked the update and it says a check is being sent out for $1,072. I originally submitted a claim for 2 tickets but then called and updated the claim to only 1 ticket because I booked a ticket to Seattle with my Delta credit. Well they reimbursed me anyway unless the person I called never updated the file. I dunno but it's a nice win for me and I need the money being that my Alaska trip is coming out to be really expense. I'm staying 2 nights at a hotel in Seattle before the trip which is going to cost me $600 so the money is coming in handy...

Get Insurance!

0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow looks like trip insurance can be a real life saver. I've never considered trip insurance before, but now it is definitely something to consider.
    0 1