This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA government shutdown and traveling

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

USA government shutdown and traveling

How is it affecting travel to and from Aruba?
    TSA at your departing airport are working without pay.
    US Customs @ Aruba are working without pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: TSA employees, they will be paid but “no night differential or overtime.” I have a relative that is a TSA supervisor and I asked about this because he does a lot of overtime. This is ridiculous. I was a state court employee this past July when there was a threat of a shutdown and I was freaking out. Many state employees don’t make a lot so to throw off a paycheck can be a big deal for some. When it happened last July in 2017, people got the pay about a month later.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Andrea. We had not thought about that. We have PreCheck. I hope they are open. Maybe we should leave the hotel a little earlier than usual on Thursday.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure that they will be open.
    The flights would not be operating if TSA was down and out.

Bri said that they have lost their overtime or differential pay.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Thanks, Andrea. We had not thought about that. We have PreCheck. I hope they are open. Maybe we should leave the hotel a little earlier than usual on Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like
    May be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry. I meant PreCheck. In Philadelphia, PreCheck does not always open when they say it will and is not at all check points. I know they won't shut down check points, but they might shut down PreCheck if they are not staffed because they won't pay over time.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like

U.S. Government shutdown effect on travel from Aruba

Can anyone report on any effects at the Aruba airport of the US shutdown? Longer than usual Customs and Border Patrol, and/or US Immigration lines???
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We flew to Aruba on Saturday 12/29 - all was working smoothly at MSP Airport, including TSA pre-check. Aruba immigration was fast and no lines for entry.

Flew back from Aruba on 1/9 (Wed.) All was fine at U.S. Customs in Aruba and staffed very well. The U.S. Customs lines were long but that was due to the fact that this is high season and there are alot of flights every day now.

From the time we checked in at the airline counter in Aruba to the time we arrived at our gate was a total of 25 minutes. But we are able to use the Delta Sky Priority line and Global Entry. Without those, I would say it probably would have taken an additional hour.
    ~Amy~® -- 37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019 -- Napa: March 2019 -- 38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019 -- Boston: July 2019 -- Paris: Sept/Oct 2019 -- 39th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2019

1 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the TSA employees are not getting paid.
    a concourse at MIA has been closed due to TSA staffing issues.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/12/gove...-terminal.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I just flew domestically yesterday (during the Patriots game). The TSA agents I encountered were in good spirits despite of the pay situation.