This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We never did this going to Aruba before: Fingers crossed!

Post Thanks / Like

We never did this going to Aruba before: Fingers crossed!

We just booked 2 one way tickets to Aruba in February for $167 plus tax=$205 each with taxes. We wanted to have an early arrival with adjoining economy aisle seats, non-stop and this was exactly what we wanted. So far for the past 8 mos the flights are over $1,100.00 each - sometimes $1260.00 on various flight checker sights. Did any of you guys ever try this method? We figured since we have cheap 1 way to Aruba, we now only have to find return date on any airline. Maybe more flexibility this way since we dont have to get our arrival dates to fit the departure date.. So far return flights 1 way, non-stop economy departure flights are over $900.00 each.
    your experience would be appreciated.
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We almost always book 1 way flights and it seems to work out. I have found the return trip to have the best prices about 3 months out but I'm usually too impatient to wait. We also have lots of flexibility with 3 major airports within a reasonable driving distance so that helps.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We almost always book one way at a time and a number of times we have returned on a different airline. It really depends on pricing and itinerary.
    Last edited by schexc; 11-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we book one ways often, not just to Aruba.
    most of the time is because we are using points/reward miles.
    we find that the return from Aruba is more expensive than going to Aruba.

I read someplace that booking on Tuesday mornings you will find more reasonably priced flights.

Have you checked other airlines or are you locked in to a certain airline?

Also too look at business or first class, if you wind up having to spend $$ on economy seats, business of first might not be much more $$.

Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    We just booked 2 one way tickets to Aruba in February for $167 plus tax=$205 each with taxes. We wanted to have an early arrival with adjoining economy aisle seats, non-stop and this was exactly what we wanted. So far for the past 8 mos the flights are over $1,100.00 each - sometimes $1260.00 on various flight checker sights. Did any of you guys ever try this method? We figured since we have cheap 1 way to Aruba, we now only have to find return date on any airline. Maybe more flexibility this way since we dont have to get our arrival dates to fit the departure date.. So far return flights 1 way, non-stop economy departure flights are over $900.00 each.
    your experience would be appreciated.
    Sean and Susan
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow we are shocked! Surprised so many do one ways. We were scared at 1st! Not now. Yes coming home we are not locked into any airline or airports since we are taking a car service. We have Newark, LGA and JFK open. We did try our miles too, but they wanted over 70K each plus $165.00 in fees. I do like the idea of checking for 1st class ect. if its not that much more. That would justify the higher price. We will just keep checking Kayak, Hopper and Cheapo Air alerts for the way back. Could you imagine getting stuck in Aruba, no flight home?
    Thanks so much for the tips,
    Sean and Susan
    [Countdown=12/01/2013 2:30 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I always book around 5 to 6 months out. Haven’t tried booking one way tickets but know others have had good luck with that method. I’m pretty diligent at checking prices multiple times a day and different days until I find a number I can live with.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    For us, the return flight is almost always more expensive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    we book one ways often, not just to Aruba.
    most of the time is because we are using points/reward miles.
    we find that the return from Aruba is more expensive than going to Aruba.

I read someplace that booking on Tuesday mornings you will find more reasonably priced flights.

Have you checked other airlines or are you locked in to a certain airline?

Also too look at business or first class, if you wind up having to spend $$ on economy seats, business of first might not be much more $$.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to keep in kind when booking different airlines or one ways, always have your return flight info printed and nearby when you check in. We have been asked for it on more than one occasion when checking in at the airport.
    Side note, taxes and fees are more on the return flight to the U.S. so that one will always be more expensive even if the base price is the same.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Also check with travel agencies. They get deals not always available to the public. My agent charges $45 to book a complete trip, airfare, hotel and rental car.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We have done booked one ways, too. Since we are in Aruba for a long period of time, I've started doing the one ways because I like book early to get the seats we want. I don't know your dates, but some days are so much less expensive that you can pay for a hotel and food and still come out ahead. Last year we wanted to use points-60,000 going down per person on Friday and 37,500 per person on Thursday. This January we are going down on a Monday because it was several hundred $$$ less a person than on Sunday. We are also coming back on a Wednesday.

0 1