This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180 days on Aruba.....the rules?

Post Thanks / Like

180 days on Aruba.....the rules?

Robin that is good info- if you can leave for a day and reset your "clock" so to speak and come back for another 180 days, I can't think of one benefit of applying for residency.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Congrats on buying a condo and welcome to the forum. We have a condo at Oceania, but are not at the point of being more than 3 months. It is great to look ahead if you plan on becoming a resident, however; it seems like Aruba is changing their taxes laws, such as making all non residents or non-citizens (not sure which one) pay one foxed land tax(property tax) rate verses residents who will pay a graduated rate. If you choose not to become a resident, you have to leave the island at 180 days, but you can come back the next day. I have heard of people flying to Miami for a day or two and doing some shopping and then coming back to Aruba or flying to Curacao for a day. You'll probably have to look at your tax liability to the US also and how the two counties work the taxes-is the income taxable in the US because it is being earned in the US? Is it taxable in Aruba also? Do you plan on having your money deposited in Aruba? Will they change you a out of country transfer fee or will it be easier to have you money direct deposited into a US account and draw cash from an ATM to pay your bills in Aruba?

Post Thanks / Like
    The information about leaving for a day and coming back is inaccurate. You can only stay 180 days per calendar year. It can be in one block or six or ten or whatever. Normally you are limited to a 30 day stay and must apply at DIMAS's office in Aruba for an extension.
    Last edited by jbrid23456; 04-10-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: correction
    Next Aruba trip in [Countdown=07/16/2016 5:00 AM;]I'm finally there]Count down:[/Countdown]
    4 1

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I always thought was the rule- not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrid23456 View Post
    The information about leaving for a day and coming back is inaccurate. You can only stay 180 days per calendar year. It can be in one block or six or ten or whatever. Normally you are limited to a 30 day stay and must apply at DIMAS's office in Aruba for an extension.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that they used to let you leave for a day and come back, but I was told that policy changed a few years ago.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    We actually spoke to someone from the Netherlands once on the beach. They are allowed to stay 180 days, leave for a couple of days and come back for 180 days. I believe for anyone else it is 180 days per calendar year. I would definitely check that out again if I were you. If you were dutch and didn't have a work visa, you could fly over to Curacao or Bonaire for a weekend and come back. I remember someone on the forum contacting Dimas because they were staying 33 days and you need permission over 30 days. I don't think that is true even though it says that but I do believe the 180 days for non-dutch citizens is per calendar year. Hope i am wrong.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    CHECK with the Immigration department DIMAS

Post Thanks / Like
    This year I went to DIMAS to get clarification. It is 180 in each calendar year. To stay beyond that requires application for residency and that app,cation carries some significant fees. The initial paperwork isn't too bad, but when you submit for each family member the residency fees are steep. For my wife and I if I remember correctly it was 4000Afl each. NOW please be cautious as the rules did change. Unfortunately the DIMAS folks didn't know what new rules the government passed were exactly. The person assisting us brought in a senior supervisor who simply told us they didn't have the full information
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess things keep changing. Sorry about the wrong info on the 180 days, but that is what I had been told.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I guess things keep changing. Sorry about the wrong info on the 180 days, but that is what I had been told.
    Robin, don't worry or feel the need to apologize. There's a lot of false info that gets circulated here. Also, who knows? It may all change again next week!! Lol
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity what false info gets spread here? I actually enjoy this site for the exact opposite reason...I don't tend to find miss information here.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Robin, don't worry or feel the need to apologize. There's a lot of false info that gets circulated here. Also, who knows? It may all change again next week!! Lol