This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Moving to Aruba/First time there!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Moving to Aruba/First time there!

    Hi,In roughly a week, I will be moving to Aruba for 3 months for a work contract, and I have never been to the island before! I wold love to here some recommendations of great places to eat and activities to do and things to see while I am there.Also, I will be staying in the Malmok/Boca Catalina beach area and will most likely not have a car, how efficient is the bus service from there to Oranjestad (As my work looks to be near the Ling & Sons grocer)? Also, what are the best places to go for grocery? And is grocery a lot more expensive on the island than in Canada?Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated!! I look forward to spending the next few months working in the tropics, a good break from the long and bitterly cold winter of Canada!Thanks,Ty
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    palm beach, mangel halto for snorkling
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the board. You r soo lucky to get to spend 3 months in Aruba. I go about 7 months a year and its AWSOME!!! We still like Ling and Son for the groceries. They have a huge super food but if u r working beside Lings, I would vote to go there. I know the bus go up to the Marriott's but I am not sure how far past that they would go. Aruba has so much stuff to do. Is anyone going with you or are u solo? I will be coming the end of June so I will have to look u up.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Alex at arubabob@live.com or call Alex local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 53rd trip Dec 5, 2018.
    0 2
     

  3. #3
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    33,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi ty and welcome to the aruba.com community forum!
    the grocery stores might be anywhere from 15 to 40% higher than the USA. Every time i have been to Canada, i have never been in a grocery, so sorry I canot be more help.

    enjoy your time in Aruba.
    3 months is PERFECT.
    what do you do for work that brings you to Aruba?

    Quote Originally Posted by tfinlayson View Post
    Hi,In roughly a week, I will be moving to Aruba for 3 months for a work contract, and I have never been to the island before! I wold love to here some recommendations of great places to eat and activities to do and things to see while I am there.Also, I will be staying in the Malmok/Boca Catalina beach area and will most likely not have a car, how efficient is the bus service from there to Oranjestad (As my work looks to be near the Ling & Sons grocer)? Also, what are the best places to go for grocery? And is grocery a lot more expensive on the island than in Canada?Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated!! I look forward to spending the next few months working in the tropics, a good break from the long and bitterly cold winter of Canada!Thanks,Ty

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by tfinlayson View Post
    Hi,In roughly a week, I will be moving to Aruba for 3 months for a work contract, and I have never been to the island before! I wold love to here some recommendations of great places to eat and activities to do and things to see while I am there.Also, I will be staying in the Malmok/Boca Catalina beach area and will most likely not have a car, how efficient is the bus service from there to Oranjestad (As my work looks to be near the Ling & Sons grocer)? Also, what are the best places to go for grocery? And is grocery a lot more expensive on the island than in Canada?Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated!! I look forward to spending the next few months working in the tropics, a good break from the long and bitterly cold winter of Canada!Thanks,Ty
    As a Canadian living here, I can tell you that food costs are comparable and in many cases less. You will find wine a lot less, but beer I is expensive

    what do you do that brindpgs you to Aruba
    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the kind welcome! I have now safely been in Aruba for a week so far, and it is great, I am really enjoying the island and find it a bit slower paced than life in North America, which is a good break! I am here for 3 month working with a Canadian furniture retailer that I work for in Canada! And let me tell you I have barely had a moment to spare so far in this first week since being here, but now my partner is down with me, and she will make sure I get out to do a lot on my days off.

    If anyone has any suggestions of great places to go and great places to eat I would love that?

    Thanks,

    Ty
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member Tom and Stanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    My back yard pool
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinlayson View Post
    Thank you all for the kind welcome! I have now safely been in Aruba for a week so far, and it is great, I am really enjoying the island and find it a bit slower paced than life in North America, which is a good break! I am here for 3 month working with a Canadian furniture retailer that I work for in Canada! And let me tell you I have barely had a moment to spare so far in this first week since being here, but now my partner is down with me, and she will make sure I get out to do a lot on my days off.

    If anyone has any suggestions of great places to go and great places to eat I would love that?

    Thanks,

    Ty
    Good morning, stop by 5 Burgers across the street from the Raddison for breakfast some morning and I can give you my restaurant / places to go list. It is behind Senor Frogs. I usually get there about 9:30 AM and be happy to give some more info about the island. . .

    Hope to see you soon,

    Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)
    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    Good morning, stop by 5 Burgers across the street from the Raddison for breakfast some morning and I can give you my restaurant / places to go list. It is behind Senor Frogs. I usually get there about 9:30 AM and be happy to give some more info about the island. . .

    Hope to see you soon,

    Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

    I will definitely stop by one day, unfortunately I work about 6 days a week essentially from 10-6 so free time is limited down here for me!
    0 0
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •