This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duty Free Shopping

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Duty Free Shopping

I was wondering if anyone makes a stop at Duty Free when departing home. I know most of us stop bye on arrival to get a bottle but was wondering about when departing and what do you usually buy.

I usually stop bye Duty as long as Custom Lines are not long. I mean last year the custom line started bye the Duty Store or even before then so I was not going to lose my place in line and thus skipped it.

I usually go for the Gouda Cheese and Cuban Rum. The cheese is somewhat expensive but sometimes on sale. As they have explained to me, whatever they put out on cheeses they have to sell within 24 hours. If it gets close to 24 hour or passed, they discount it heavily to get rid of it. This trip I purchased a box of 3 mixed Gouda Cheeses for $34. I bought 2 boxes so I can give a few to my Mother's 2 home attendants plus a friend that stood over with Ms Daisy overnight last Saturday on account that my brother was in upstate NY until Sunday. This morning I enjoyed a nice grill cheese for breakfast made with 3oz of Gouda Cheese. I admit it was not as good as Joanne from Black Pearl but it hit the spot!

I also purchased 2 aged Cuban Rums which were priced at $21 a 750ML bottle but was discounted 10% if you purchased 2 so they came out to $18.90 each. Then I bought a bottle of an Aged Venezuelan Rum called Santa Teresa 1790. This rum was $55 for a liter but so worth it! The store let me taste it before I decided to purchase. I will probably be sipping some for New Years along with some Gouda Cheese and crackers.

Funny thing about the Duty Free in Aruba. You are only allowed 1 LT per person we all know that for US. If you complete your US Custom Check points, and purchase liquor at your gate, they charge you Duty on any bottles over the 1LT. If you purchase your bottles before US Customs, you can buy more than 1LT like I did and not pay any duty. Reason being as Ive been told many times, they don't give you the bottles right there. After you go through US Customs, security check point, you take escalator to gate area and just pick up your booze.. Works every time!
    Last edited by ArubaAce; 12-22-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that us customs would charge you duty if they knew.
    We were asked at US Customs if we were bringing home , meat or veggies, booze, cigarettes or anything else that we bought or if we had in excess if $10,000.
    Paul's reply to the agent......don't I wish!

I do not believe that we have ever had our bags scanned/gone thru at US Customs in Aruba.

We bought some Old Amsterdam cheese for a few friends for gifts. Boy it is good.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We usually bring back gouda, but we buy it at Superfoods and pack it in a cooler bag and put it in our suitcases. We do the same with rum from the rum place The Aruban Taste or from PriceSmart-wrapped and goes in the suitcase. We also bring back some stroopwaffles, and sometimes chocolate and some tee shirts. I order Aruba Aloe on their site and have it delivered home. Some of the stuff is gifts and some of the stuff is for us and the kids. Hubby loves(I do too) the chicken salami they have in Superfoods. Last year he talked to the manager about ordering a whole salami to bring back with us. I think he is serious this year because two weeks ago he came home with a Hobart commercial deli slicer. I see a lot of gouda and salami in my future luggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    We usually bring back gouda, but we buy it at Superfoods and pack it in a cooler bag and put it in our suitcases. We do the same with rum from the rum place The Aruban Taste or from PriceSmart-wrapped and goes in the suitcase. We also bring back some stroopwaffles, and sometimes chocolate and some tee shirts. I order Aruba Aloe on their site and have it delivered home. Some of the stuff is gifts and some of the stuff is for us and the kids. Hubby loves(I do too) the chicken salami they have in Superfoods. Last year he talked to the manager about ordering a whole salami to bring back with us. I think he is serious this year because two weeks ago he came home with a Hobart commercial deli slicer. I see a lot of gouda and salami in my future luggage.
    Nice especially the slicer. I like that!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It's used, but it's in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Nice especially the slicer. I like that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy Gouda at Superfood also, last time it was about 4kg, a lot of cheese, but couldn't beat the price. We have a meat slicer, one of the better purchases I've made. Good tip about the duty free delivery, do they take your name and flight info?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I buy Gouda at Superfood also, last time it was about 4kg, a lot of cheese, but couldn't beat the price. We have a meat slicer, one of the better purchases I've made. Good tip about the duty free delivery, do they take your name and flight info?
    Yes they did ask me for my boarding pass.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t believe you can take meat or veggies out of Aruba and if caught people have gotten fines of 500$ cash.
    Jayna-Beach Bum at ❤️
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup that is correct.
    but cheese is allowed.

what is the ruling on cuban cigars these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayshea View Post
    I don’t believe you can take meat or veggies out of Aruba and if caught people have gotten fines of 500$ cash.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yup that is correct.
    but cheese is allowed.

what is the ruling on cuban cigars these days?
    You take the rings off and say they are Aruban made.

0 0