This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery shopping advice please

Post Thanks / Like

Grocery shopping advice please

We are staying at the Phoenix in August, and this will be our first trip to Aruba where we will have a kitchen in our hotel room. We would like to cook all/most of our meals to cut down on the cost of the trip.

At home, I buy only organic produce and dairy, and grass fed meat / sustainable fish, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for grocery stores that would carry the largest selection of groceries of this type? And if there are multiple locations that have large selections of organic food, which would be closest to our hotel? Although nothing is ever far away in Aruba, so we are happy to drive around the island gathering what we need if that would be necessary. Exploring the island is always fun.

Thank you so very much for your help. Your group has always been a big help to my family when we visit Aruba.

Traci from Wisconsin, USA
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    https://groceriestogoaruba.com/
    Hi Traci,
    Since Aruba is an island, you'll have limited selection on most food items (when compared to the vast selection of foods you'll find in stores in the USA). I provided a link to a website for an on-line grocery service in Aruba called groceries to go. If you browse through their on-line lists, you'll have a good idea for the types of food items/brands which you'll find in stores.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Will you be the first Sunday of the month? The Santa Rosa farmer's market in the Piedra Plata area (first Sunday of the month) sells organic and local produce.
    ~Amy~® -- Napa: March 2019 -- 38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019 -- Boston: July 2019 -- Paris: Sept/Oct 2019 -- 39th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2019 -- 40th trip to Aruba: April/May 2020

1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are really 2 large groceries that would give you the best selection.
    Ling and Superfood

Daily Fish in the Superfood strip mall has a good selection of fish.

I am providing the Facebook links to both.
    https://www.facebook.com/superfoodaruba/
    https://www.facebook.com/lingandsons/

Please send both your questions and I know that they will get back to you with answers quickly.
    Both are very good are replying.
    I think SuperFood may have a better selection of organic produce than Lings.

Please when they reply, will you let us know their answers?

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by TraciFromWisconsin View Post
    We are staying at the Phoenix in August, and this will be our first trip to Aruba where we will have a kitchen in our hotel room. We would like to cook all/most of our meals to cut down on the cost of the trip.

At home, I buy only organic produce and dairy, and grass fed meat / sustainable fish, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for grocery stores that would carry the largest selection of groceries of this type? And if there are multiple locations that have large selections of organic food, which would be closest to our hotel? Although nothing is ever far away in Aruba, so we are happy to drive around the island gathering what we need if that would be necessary. Exploring the island is always fun.

Thank you so very much for your help. Your group has always been a big help to my family when we visit Aruba.

Traci from Wisconsin, USA
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. This is very helpful. I am going to use this site when planning my grocery list.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    https://groceriestogoaruba.com/
    Hi Traci,
    Since Aruba is an island, you'll have limited selection on most food items (when compared to the vast selection of foods you'll find in stores in the USA). I provided a link to a website for an on-line grocery service in Aruba called groceries to go. If you browse through their on-line lists, you'll have a good idea for the types of food items/brands which you'll find in stores.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We are coming the second week, but I really wish we could be there for this. I love farmers markets, especially ones that I find in places that we visit. I am going to keep this in mind for future trips to Aruba though. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    Will you be the first Sunday of the month? The Santa Rosa farmer's market in the Piedra Plata area (first Sunday of the month) sells organic and local produce.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. These links are really helpful. I have found that facebook is a great way to get answers from businesses. Far better than websites. I will post their replies as soon as I hear back. I am really excited to try my hand at cooking some new dishes with fresh ingredients in Aruba. And the cost savings over eating out has allowed us to visit twice this year. Truly blessed. (but the restaurants in Aruba can't be beat)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    there are really 2 large groceries that would give you the best selection.
    Ling and Superfood

Daily Fish in the Superfood strip mall has a good selection of fish.

I am providing the Facebook links to both.
    https://www.facebook.com/superfoodaruba/
    https://www.facebook.com/lingandsons/

Please send both your questions and I know that they will get back to you with answers quickly.
    Both are very good are replying.
    I think SuperFood may have a better selection of organic produce than Lings.

Please when they reply, will you let us know their answers?

Good Luck!!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have messaged both Lings and Super Food numerous times and they always respond quickly.

I forgot to mention that my son and daughter in law only allow my grandsons to drink antibiotic free milk.
    They get the kids their milk in Aruba at SuperFood and once they ended up buying the milk in the non refrigerated aisle "Parmalat" (SP?) or something like that.
    SuperFood and Lings did not have what they needed, but the ultra pasteurized was what they wound up with.

Thank you. These links are really helpful. I have found that facebook is a great way to get answers from businesses. Far better than websites. I will post their replies as soon as I hear back. I am really excited to try my hand at cooking some new dishes with fresh ingredients in Aruba. And the cost savings over eating out has allowed us to visit twice this year. Truly blessed. (but the restaurants in Aruba can't be beat)
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: I messaged Lings and Super Foods through FaceBook. I asked them if they carried organic groceries and dairy, grass-fed pasture raised meats, or sustainable wild caught fish.

Lings responded that they do carry organic items. They do not carry grass fed meat. The fish that they carry are all wild caught and range from local fish to salmon that is flown in.

Super Food Plaza responded that they carry all of the products I was inquiring about, but not in large quantities because the market segment is small. They cannot guarantee to have products on hand at a future date.

Guest reviews for the Divi Phoenix often mention that you can see Super Foods from the resort, so I think I'll start there and only buy a few days worth of food. Then if Lings is close by, I will take a look there as well. I think that between the two stores, I should be really satisfied with the selection of groceries available. Each store looks really nice on their FaceBook pages.

Thank you all once again for helping me so quickly and helpfully. Much appreciated.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you stand on the roof of the highest tower at the Divi Phoenix, "maybe" you can see the SuperFoods.
    neither of these grocery stores are close to the Phoenix.

The Ling store is in the "Eagle" neighborhood about 3 miles +/- to the Phoenix.
    Superfoods, about 2 miles.

the chicken skewers at Superfood are delicious.
    the large prawn at Daily Fish are outstanding.

UPDATE: I messaged Lings and Super Foods through FaceBook. I asked them if they carried organic groceries and dairy, grass-fed pasture raised meats, or sustainable wild caught fish.

Lings responded that they do carry organic items. They do not carry grass fed meat. The fish that they carry are all wild caught and range from local fish to salmon that is flown in.

Super Food Plaza responded that they carry all of the products I was inquiring about, but not in large quantities because the market segment is small. They cannot guarantee to have products on hand at a future date.

Guest reviews for the Divi Phoenix often mention that you can see Super Foods from the resort, so I think I'll start there and only buy a few days worth of food. Then if Lings is close by, I will take a look there as well. I think that between the two stores, I should be really satisfied with the selection of groceries available. Each store looks really nice on their FaceBook pages.

Thank you all once again for helping me so quickly and helpfully. Much appreciated.
    0 0