This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "the BAD intersection"

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

"the BAD intersection"

We all know it.
    If you have never been to Aruba, but will be going soon, you will know it too.

The intersection at Palm Beach Rd and the McDonalds and Wendys and Bavaria intersection.
    In recent years it has been a pain in the bum..........a real pain in the bum.

Well.......rotary/roundabout work will begin soon, if it has not already begun.

We all look forward to the time when we can move thru there without cursing and giving hand gestures to others.

If you are there now, can you please give an update?
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I can give you an update on Saturday if no one else has by then!
    Pictures from our Oct 2021 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZNDCceAbJT5sECfE8

Pictures from our Oct 2020 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGHm1uumCXGEkEHv5
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I avoid that intersection as much as possible even if it means going out of my way. I have a feeling that it will get worse before it gets better. If they wait too long to start it, then they may be working on it during high season or we will have to go another high season with the chaos of an unsafe intersection.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    They are installing “Sleeping Police” - what we call speed bumps. We were told that the government says it does not have the money to put in roundabouts at this time and are hoping instead that the speed bumps will alleviate the problem. The cab drivers we spoke to are highly doubtful this is going to work though. Seems like drivers all want the roundabout and are not happy with the “Sleeping Police” solution.
    The work has been going on since we got here on October 11. There was a bumper to bumper traffic jam in front of the Ocean Club a few nights ago due to the construction.
    1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    speed humps........................ya that is not a roundabout!

so what I was told was incorrect............no roundabout, just speed humps.

I wish they'd put in a roundabout and pay for it with whatever means possible.

it certainly does not need to be fancy, just functional.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. The government is not saying that they’re not going to put in a roundabout, they’re saying they’re going to do it in the “future.” Whenever that is. The cab drivers are saying once the speed bumps are in the future gets put off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    speed humps........................ya that is not a roundabout!

so what I was told was incorrect............no roundabout, just speed humps.

I wish they'd put in a roundabout and pay for it with whatever means possible.

it certainly does not need to be fancy, just functional.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 10-20-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hate that intersection...especially at night.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Just SMH at the speed bumps/humps/islands. I sure hope they have lots of signs or there will be lots of accidents or damaged under carriages. From 45/50 miles an hour to let's say 10 miles an hour in a few seconds. Yeah, nothing can go wrong there.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It's actually okay - it forces everyone to slow down at the intersection and look before moving through. The highway still has the right of way but the slow down is progressive to where the lights used to be.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI - all of the barriers are now down at this intersection and the speed humps are in place. It's been ok so far, but I guess it all remains to be seen.

(Also, for the other mental 12 year olds like me... I said "speed hump". Heh heh heh...)
    Pictures from our Oct 2021 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZNDCceAbJT5sECfE8

Pictures from our Oct 2020 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGHm1uumCXGEkEHv5
    0 2