This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Vs Jeep - the never ending debate

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    Rent a truck, Amigo and Yes have new/newer Izuzo 4X4's, they go where a jeep will go and they are half the price. Or work out a deal with More4less on a split rental, 5 days jeep and 5 days car.
    We did try Yes for the truck but it wasn't available for the days we need. I didnt know Amigo has one. We are disappointed that the jacked up black jeep from Yes is no longer available. We really enjoyed that one. We don't like the big ones from M4L because they don't have doors or windows.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    First trip to Aruba in 1997 we used a Nissan Stanza and after a few weeks we noticed a small puddle of oil in the driveway.
    Our following trip in 2005 my brother in law arranged for us our first jeep, it was quite a deal. The 4 of us loaded everything at the airport and drove off but didn’t even make it out the airport before the engine started knocking and overheating. We looped back around and parked near where we picked it up as the engine head was melting. We replaced it with another jeep that was better by a short shot. We drove it to conchi, and even though the routes were much more drivable because it wasn’t eroded away from constant tour trafficking, it was definitely a jeep’s drive. With the car in 4 wheel , it didn’t have enough power to make it back up. I had my family get out (just about 210lbs for the 3 of them) to lighten the load and after nearly rolling back down a few times we made it through the worst part.

Rentals are much different now, but for the things we do we always get a jeep. And we NEVER bother with conchi because the path is eroded away, and it is to crowded there for me
    Last edited by __steve__; 10-11-2019 at 01:42 PM.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    so, here is my 2cents worth...
    I always rent a jeep and always have to fight with Dh about it. He hates them, says we never use it enough...however, I like to be able to just jump in if we decide to go to back of island, or take the long way around to get to baby beach...love the waves in the back and stopping at those little shacks to decide if we should find the owners (although according to an arubian friend of mine, nobody is actually allowed to own what they build back there....)and have a bbq party, etc !!!
    so, I go against Dh and have always been happy to have it...we use it a lot, even though he doesn't seem to think that...groceries like everyday (if you consider Cap't a grocery...), baby beach, Zeerover's, light house trip, nat'l pool, nat'l bridge....I can go on, but you get where I am going with this.
    Even when I go to the island myself I rent a jeep, just coz "I LIKE IT" .... I look at the cost of a car and moan at how much more the jeep is, but can't seem to find another good enough reason to stick with a car....
    Guess I am jaded and you probably should not consider my opinion when making your decision.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    so, here is my 2cents worth...
    I always rent a jeep and always have to fight with Dh about it. He hates them, says we never use it enough...however, I like to be able to just jump in if we decide to go to back of island, or take the long way around to get to baby beach...love the waves in the back and stopping at those little shacks to decide if we should find the owners (although according to an arubian friend of mine, nobody is actually allowed to own what they build back there....)and have a bbq party, etc !!!
    so, I go against Dh and have always been happy to have it...we use it a lot, even though he doesn't seem to think that...groceries like everyday (if you consider Cap't a grocery...), baby beach, Zeerover's, light house trip, nat'l pool, nat'l bridge....I can go on, but you get where I am going with this.
    Even when I go to the island myself I rent a jeep, just coz "I LIKE IT" .... I look at the cost of a car and moan at how much more the jeep is, but can't seem to find another good enough reason to stick with a car....
    Guess I am jaded and you probably should not consider my opinion when making your decision.....
    Your opinion is actually everything I am thinking!!!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Our first couple of trips we have rented both a jeep and car. The jeep was for "trying" to find natural pool and we definitely needed the jeep. the year we rented the car was very reasonable price only used it a couple of days back and forth downtown and El Gaucho's, the jeep is lots of fun but the car is nice when you need some air conditioning. Good Luck deciding and try not to "overbook" to do's on your trip, remember vacation is to relax

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    15 days out.................and your decision?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    15 days out.................and your decision?
    Well, we have a jeep reserved for a few days, but today we talked about cancelling and going taxis only and just getting something for a day if we change our mind. LoL! The debate truly never ends.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahahahaha
    i understand completely

Post Thanks / Like
    When in doubt, don’t! That’s my motto.

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Schexc's pictures of the Fish House have me leaning towards wanting to keep our jeep reservation at the moment. I know it will sit in the parking lot more than anything, but having the option without a schedule is kind of freeing.

0 0