This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting around by bike

Post Thanks / Like

Getting around by bike

Hi. I was thinking it would be fun to get around in Aruba by bike? Has anyone had any experience doing so? What rental agency did you use. I am staying near the high-rise hotels.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a bike person.
    There are plenty that ride bikes in Aruba.
    I believe it is pretty treacherous if not real well acclimated with the area.
    There are many things to consider.......cars speeding, tourists driving maybe somewhat lost, sand in the roads, wind, poor signage.
    Forum member Mmattalo is an avid bike rider and hopefully he will comment.

There are bike rental racks out in front of many hotels/resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by joziefive View Post
    Hi. I was thinking it would be fun to get around in Aruba by bike? Has anyone had any experience doing so? What rental agency did you use. I am staying near the high-rise hotels.
    May 6 - 20, 2021 https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPe2KC3P7bqhnpMT8
    THINK........ is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the only bike we've used in Aruba: https://trikes-aruba.com/

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done a fair amount of riding through the years. Aruba is wonderful but not someplace I would feel really safe biking around. Not because the island is not safe...not a ton of space for 2 cars and a bike in many spots. People are not always paying attention for one reason or another.
    Trip 32 begins on July 15.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a couple staying at Oceania this winter that got around totally on bikes they rented. I believe they rented them from Aqua Windie's.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago I wanted to do something different so I signed up for a mountain bike tour. The meeting place was at that beach where they do the kite windsurfing. The Biking entailed going up hills towards the light house. Forget it! It was very hot, I was very out of shape so just rode around Arashi beach area but there were some down hills where I was able to just coast the bike. It was fun. At La Cabana they used to rent electric bikes and had a local tour to butterfly farm and other local areas. Not sure if that program is still around.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go to Ling's, there's the beginning of a dedicated bike path that runs the length of Wati Voss Blvd (the new highway). It's mostly separate from the highway (except at roundabouts) and probably one of the safer places to ride in the north part of the island. There are bike lane allowances in the south island (where most locals live) but not distinct from the road (i.e. they're painted lanes sharing the road with cars).

All that being said, I'd be hesitant at riding a bike on island unless you're experienced at dealing with the hazards of traffic. There are no sidewalks to jump up on in an emergency and the concept of sharing the road here is still new to drivers - I've seen a lot of near misses especially on the highway near the high-rise hotels.

And I definitely wouldn't ride at night - there are little to no street lights in a lot of areas. We've gotten to the point where we won't even drive at night. It's crazy out there.

Either way... good luck!
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    The walkway along Eagle Beach(I guess it is really part of the Linear Park) has a bike path that seems to start around Divi Village and ends around the construction of the Embassy Suites.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I will definitely ride on dedicated paths. Thanks!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We rented bikes from the place on the main drag down the road from Ling's before. We are both in pretty good shape (I am a CrossFit coach for 10+ years). We rode from the Divi Village to the light house....and I thought I wouldn't make it, haha. One thing to keep in mind when biking is there will be wind, and depending when you are there, it may be strong. The last stretch uphill to the lighthouse had me gasping for air. We had fun, but that was a one and done adventure. We use our rental car now
    1 0