This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please.......Latest update of the Roundabout @ SuperFoods

Two weeks ago we were headed north on Route 1 toward this roundabout just after dusk. Some woman stepped out onto the travelled way just as we approached the crosswalk. She was dressed in black and was [figuratively] invisible. It was a wonder we did not hit her. Let's be honest about this, a pedestrian has as much responsibility for his/her safety as motorists have for theirs. Some folks believe that pedestrians have the right of way on AUA but I believe that vehicular traffic has the ROW.

I am a proponent of a pedestrian overpass in this location. I fear that someone's going to get killed trying to walk across this highway in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Engineers and others come up with ideas, but never think about the practical side or ask the people who will be effected by the changes.
    Actually, Engineers only work in the practical world. What we are not able to do is predict stupidity, inattentiveness and foolishness of the human nature. We can anticipate, yes, but we can not predict every eventuality. After all, if we were to be required to design for every eventuality, everything would have to be encased in bubble wrap...

Aruba since 1979
    I had hoped that those Eagle Beach Resorts (Lacabana, Tropicana, PBV) and Super Foods would have worked together with the g'vmt and the tourism to put in a pedestrian fl over/walkway.

I think too that those resorts could also consider free shuttles that could run continuously.
    (but maybe the taxi association would protest)

Yes, one cannot predict stupidity.
    Imagine dressing in dark colors and then being out there as a pedestrian after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mark View Post
    Actually, Engineers only work in the practical world. What we are not able to do is predict stupidity, inattentiveness and foolishness of the human nature. We can anticipate, yes, but we can not predict every eventuality. After all, if we were to be required to design for every eventuality, everything would have to be encased in bubble wrap...

Stupidity can't be predicted or fixed, but pedestrians have the right of way in Aruba... ALWAYS. Also consider that for a lot of folks outside the tourist industry, black clothing is kind of the norm. I used to marvel at the ladies at Little Switzerland in their black suits and wonder why they didn't just pass out from the heat.

In this case, it seems like they did not adequately put foot traffic into the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    In this case, it seems like they did not adequately put foot traffic into the plan.
    If true, and it may be, the Engineers did not want to encourage foot traffic crossing the main north-south highway on the island - eliminate conflict altogether. However this sentiment is not evenly yoked with the installation of crosswalk pavement marking - so who knows. I'd gladly consult in return for unrestricted residency rights...

If true, and it may be, the Engineers did not want to encourage foot traffic crossing the main north-south highway on the island - eliminate conflict altogether. However this sentiment is not evenly yoked with the installation of crosswalk pavement marking - so who knows. I'd gladly consult in return for unrestricted residency rights...
    lol

I was thinking about this situation. I understand all they did was put in a crosswalk. An elevated bridge would be nice, but difficult with groceries. A simpler solution to help, especially at night, are lit crosswalk-not reflective, but actual lighting, along with blinking crosswalk signs, maybe overhead and on the sides of the road. They have these at a college my son went to and they really get your attention if you are driving. Add in some speed bumps to slow down traffic before the crosswalks and signs direction walkers to the crosswalk. You'll still get idiots who don't want to use it, but at least drivers will slow down.

We must be so used to horrible traffic and construction, and bad engineering that the Super Foods Circle wasn't so bad to us. DC is the worst! I will say, I would not cross there, but we noticed people using common sense and crossing at other crosswalks, specifically near the Pos Chiquito Circle and it worked out well, better than I would have thought