This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Protest? Do not try to go through town

Post Thanks / Like

Protest? Do not try to go through town

All sorts of construction equipment blocking the street in front of the government building. Traffic is a nightmare. Will post pictures later

1 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks robin!!

Divi Village, Druif Beach, Bunker Bar, Pelican Bar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are they protesting?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Protest? Do not try to go through town-img_1025-jpg It took me 45 minutes to get from Oceania to PriceSmart-I left the condo around 930. Roads were backed up everywhere. Luckily there were no ships in port today or else it would have been twice as bad. Getting back was quicker because they had the roads blocked off-headed north at Adriaan Lacle and headed south at the Citgo station(with police directing traffic).

I am not sure what they are protesting.I heard that it has something to do with outside contractors or some type of restrictions, put i don't know. The picture isn't the greatest, but there was a group of people standing by the government building, a truck with long black pipes, bulldozers or backhoes, etc. I took it as I was waiting turn onto the road next to the Ren. through the windshield. Yes, it had just rained and was still cloudy.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Do as the locals, avoid that area completely if its during rush hours. 5 minutes can easily turn into 30 or more depending on which road you choose! Especially during these last few years with all the road works going on.

When it comes to the protest, apparently its something to do with local construction workers being worried that the new hotel in San Nicolas is going to be handled by outside companies, even though we locally have more than enough expertise. I do not know if they are right to be worried as I don't know much on the subject. I turned the radio on today right as the minister in charge(otmar oduber) finished his interview.
    Last edited by Arawak; 03-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. Usually I can go through downtown without any problems at that time especially without a ship in this morning(one is in now). I thought an accident was backing up traffic. I sat for so long or just crept along that I was able to clean out my email. I usually never open my phone while I am driving, but I wasn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post
    Do as the locals, avoid that area completely if its during rush hours. 5 minutes can easily turn into 30 or more depending on which road you choose! Especially during these last few years with all the road works going on.

When it comes to the protest, apparently its something to do with local construction workers being worried that the new hotel in San Nicolas is going to be handled by outside companies, even though we locally have more than enough expertise. I do not know if they are right to be worried as I don't know much on the subject. I turned the radio on today right as the minister in charge(otmar oduber) finished his interview.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Thanks for the info. Usually I can go through downtown without any problems at that time especially without a ship in this morning(one is in now). I thought an accident was backing up traffic. I sat for so long or just crept along that I was able to clean out my email. I usually never open my phone while I am driving, but I wasn't going anywhere.
    Yup I was down there too coming from the high rise area. Thought because I didnt see a cruiseship in port that it would be "ok" to drive through. Didn't know then why traffic was so stuck so I ended up taking the left at the old DOW building and taking a short detour.
    0 0