This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thread: To rent a car or not

Post Thanks / Like

To rent a car or not

Hello,

I hate driving, but I would love to visit the donkey sanctuary a couple of times during my stay in Aruba. Otherwise, I prefer walking everywhere. Do you think it's worth it to rent a car for a couple of days for that purpose? And with the pandemic, do you think the roads may be a little quieter? I live in the Minneapolis/St.Paul and the traffic gets crazy here, so I am used to challenging driving, I just don't enjoy it. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Andrea
    0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In What area are you staying? Where else do you plan on going?Under current conditions, I imagine traffic is minimal. Even during normal times, most traffic was limited to downtown. It’s always worth a car to me, but now especially so.

Check out Tropic and Wheels 2 Go.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We always rent a car. If you can drive in MSP, you can drive in Aruba. There sometimes gets to be a lot of traffic downtown, but I expect Watty Vos has alleviated a lot of it. With the amount of tourists so low compared to usual I would expect traffic to be fine. I second Tropic, nice cars and Hans and Denis are the best.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    a car is necessary if you want to visit the donkey sanctuary and plan on staying for more than just a few minutes.
    then again you could take a cab and ask the driver to wait. $$$

the witty vos has eliminated a lot of the downtown congestion.
    a car will give you the opportunity to do things more on a whim.
    exploring is kind of fun!
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    A one way taxi ride to the donkey sanctuary is about 30 bucks, plus $4 per 5 minute wait time, and 30 dollars back. You can rent a car for a few days for that price and enjoy the lighthouse, Alto Vista, Casabari, Baby Beach/San Nic, and other fun places. I think all of the car rental places will drop off and pick up the car from your resort.

Taxi fares: https://aruba.bynder.com/m/168d9a9a4...-2018-2022.pdf
    Last edited by WaltVB; 09-28-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are here now and so glad we rented a car
    Traffic is minimal. Being able to drive to some of the best beaches is a plus
    Being able to jump in the car and go
    GPS on Google was perfect
    1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all so very much for your prompt and thoughtful responses! Well, that does it. I am renting a car! (@B Likes to Travel - I am staying at Oceania near Eagle Beach.) I will reach out to Tropics and Wheels to Go. Thank you again!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We debate renting a car almost every year. I will say after our last trip we agreed that driving at night is not for us. The streets are not well lit and there are pedestrians that you can't see. Unless you are very familiar with where you are going, the turns can be easy to miss even with GPS. For the donkey sanctuary, you will be going during the day so that should be a non issue. If you do get a car, take the ride over to baby beach, there are usually donkeys along the roadside over in that direction.

I like the freedom of having a car and not having to be on a schedule with it. My husband thinks its a waste of money and it sits in the parking lot more than we actually use it. Both of our opinions change all the time..LOL
    1 1