This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roundabout Careful..Please Please Please

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Roundabout Careful..Please Please Please

Please be so very careful at the roundabout @ SuperFoods.

There was a crash early this morning and a fatality.

https://24ora.com/ferdinand-hsing-a-...dente-tragico/
    That roundabout also has a crosswalk very close to its proximity...........
    Please folks be careful.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-16-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They should really take that signs down at the road entering la cabana and tropicana that state "walking path to super foods"...!

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    So sad! Every trip these past few years we have seen a bad accident.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We haven’t been seeing bad accidents, mostly fender benders, but it seems like when we’re out on the road we see one about every other road trip.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    It also dsn't help that the superfoods roundabout is so terribly built. I don't know if its just me, but when approaching that roundabout, there comes a point where you need to slow down and make a sharp what seems like a 45 degree change in direction. If someone is coming at any type of speed and dsn't notice that change in direction or if the roads are wet or whatever other reason, that car is going to end up on its head. Don't know if that happened here at all, i'm just wondering because it is something I have noticed.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure looks like somebody went into that roundabout at full speed,that doesn’t look like a slow speed crash
    0 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning and Happy St.Patrick's Day,

I think this is an excellent case of traffic control gone terribly awry. Round-abouts serve a useful purpose but not in every case. The Superfoods intersection is one where I think it would have been better to leave the traffic lights in place. Better for pedestrians and vehicles. They are called traffic control signals for a reason.

We will experience this one for ourselves in October.

Perspective is always important. Who among us haven't witnessed head-scratching traffic control ideas at home? Long streets with unsynchronized lights and a seriously misplaced pedestrian crosswalk (before, not after, the ambulance entrance to a hospital's ER) are but two examples here where I live.

As was mentioned here, slow down (not always easy to do with a tour bus looming in your rear view mirror), watch for pedestrians and be careful.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Glenn
    Winnipeg, Canada
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We drive very cautiously on the island and we often experience vehicles flying by us, a lot of them taxi cabs, with no gain as we usually pull up behind them at the next round about or intersection. There are always drivers that have to be at the head of the pack, only to be last in the next line. It continues to make no sense to me.

0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were pretty uncomfortable, driving around that area last month. That roundabout is a mess, and had barricades set up all around it. There was a young couple trying to cross the road to Superfoods, with a small child and another in a stroller, and I was afraid that they were going to get hit. There is also a new roundabout where you turn to go to Madame Janettes. We didn't enjoy driving at night. There is almost no lighting in these areas, and it was very difficult to see.
    What really concerns me is that they are taking out the light and building another roundabout where you turn left to go to the beach road when you leave downtown. I think that this is the intersection of Smith and Irasquin, but I'm not sure of the road names. There are certain times of day when the traffic backs up about a mile at that light. I know that the idea is to improve traffic flow but it seems like it is going to create more traffic hazzards.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    The speed, the alcohol, the lighting (lack thereof) the crosswalks in places where the pedestrians are like sitting ducks..............not good.

I believe that for the most part the roundabouts/rotaries are great.

As Shexc mentioned, some drivers are in such a hurry to be at the first of the line only to find themselves at the end of the line.......what's the point?!!

Maybe a traffic study by an engineering company, an awareness campaign on how to drive around roundabouts.............some road bumps/humps to indicate SLOW DOWN........better signage..........police at those areas that are problematic such as SuperFoods roundabout (a hot mess) ........ a traffic engineer to come in to make suggestions.

I also see those driving with V plates (visitors in rentals) and those with A plates (residents) ........the A's are a bit impatient with the Vs. The V's are slower and more tentative in their ways. The A's (some, certainly not all) often get impatient and aggressive. (JMO)