This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roundabout Careful..Please Please Please

Post Thanks / Like
    Roundabout Careful..Please Please Please-54517093_2346769718875862_3378498373991530496_o-jpg
    Be extra careful this week.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I think people overlook the driving rules as part of their research. The use of km vs mph even though it’s on the dash (for USA visitors), familiarizing one’s self with the different signage and THE ROUNDABOUTS. It’s not something to figure out as you go and I wish people took the initiative to better prepare themselves.

2 3

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Bri.
    Many folks take lots of time to choose their restaurants, their resorts, activities etc.... I think that folks need to take the time to make more inquiries and understand the road signage. Now that roundabouts are present, everyone behind the wheel has to know about slowing down, easing into the roundabout in the correct lane and understand about yielding to those already in the roundabout. There have been too many accidents.

(and then there are my thoughts on driving while intoxicated/impaired, and excessive speed)
    0 2

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

A reminder

Please if you are unfamiliar with how a roundabout works.........go to you tube and enter driving in a roundabout.
    here is one of the results. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPXh5zfEMMI
    What I have seen here in the last 30 hours is mind boggling.

Please slow down considerably when approaching a roundabout.

Please yield to the vehicles coming from your left that are already in the roundabout.

Once in the roundabout please stay in the the lane that you have chosen........do not cross over the divider thingy.

Someone with probably a degree in civil or traffic engineering has thought it just peachy to paint a crosswalk for the pedestrians just prior to or exiting the roundabout at the SuperFood area. DO NOT ASSUME that these pedestrians will look out for you........THEY WILL NOT.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 05-02-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: added u tube
    0 2

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even here in NJ, people don't realize that those in the roundabout have the right of way. they just come along and assume those in it should stop. This past Dec, I avoided the roundabouts in Aruba and to be honest, I tend to avoid the few we have here at home, too. People do not know how to drive them, just like most people have never heard the concept of merge, left/right/left/right. they prefer 6 people go and then let one person in which of course causes traffic.

Andrea, how is the roundabout by SuperFoods, have they removed the construction posts, etc.?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    the roundabout by Superfood is a "hot mess".
    because folks have put up warnings about that particular roundabout, including you here.........I was warned sufficiently.
    yes there are still a ton of construction posts/orange barriers.
    one of the things that they will have to do is take the height down (a lot) from the center of that roundabout. the height (god knows why it is that tall, is a distraction to drivers. I am guessing it will be some sort of decoration landmark etc... maybe like the flags at the one near the airport.
    imo, that is a. huge distraction and a waste of money.
    these roundabouts need to be simple and uncomplicated.
    I am surprised that there have not been numerous fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Even here in NJ, people don't realize that those in the roundabout have the right of way. they just come along and assume those in it should stop. This past Dec, I avoided the roundabouts in Aruba and to be honest, I tend to avoid the few we have here at home, too. People do not know how to drive them, just like most people have never heard the concept of merge, left/right/left/right. they prefer 6 people go and then let one person in which of course causes traffic.

Andrea, how is the roundabout by SuperFoods, have they removed the construction posts, etc.?
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the height of that round about is obscene. It really blocks the ability to see all of the traffic/pedestrians that are on the opposite side as you enter and exit. What were they thinking?!

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate that roundabout and avoid it when I can. When Super Foods is busy, the roundabout can backup, which makes things worse because people try maneuvering around the cars waiting to head toward the store. There is the dangerous area is where the lane just stops, add in the cross walk located as soon as you come around, tourist-both driving and on foot(with kids) who do not know where they are going, taxis that fly around like they own the road and are going to a fire, the distraction of the construction and people who are not experienced in driving around roundabouts and it is a recipe for disaster. I don't know if it is still there, but the sign for a traffic light at that intersection(headed toward the high rise area) was still up when we left. The difference in the roundabouts in Aruba vs the circles(aka roundabout) in NJ is in NJ you can all the traffic in the circle and they are wider than Aruba-the curves are not as sharp. At some of the smaller roundabouts in Aruba, they are so small and tight that trucks go over them rather than around them.

1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Someone with probably a degree in civil or traffic engineering has thought it just peachy to paint a crosswalk for the pedestrians just prior to or exiting the roundabout at the SuperFood area.
    Um, yeah, that would be me. However here in the States, or at least New Hampshire, the crosswalks are ell signed and set well back from the roundabout itself. In February, we almost struck a pedestrian at the Super Food RaB due to an inattentive pedestrian.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Some people have the attitude "People will stop for me." or "The pedestrian always has the right of way." however, they do not realize we can't see them.

They need to 1. move the crosswalk further from the roundabout 2. paint it yellow 3. put in flashing pedestrian crossing signs to warn motorist of the crosswalk 4. flashing lights embedded in the crosswalk(pedestrian pushes a button to illuminate them)

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mark View Post
    Um, yeah, that would be me. However here in the States, or at least New Hampshire, the crosswalks are ell signed and set well back from the roundabout itself. In February, we almost struck a pedestrian at the Super Food RaB due to an inattentive pedestrian.

0 1